Swanage Railway Diesel Gala 8th to 10th May 2015

phileakins

Western Thunderer
Hi All

Here is the press release for this year's diesel extravaganza! I rather hope that I don't get left behind as I did last year guarding to a numpty (owner's rep) driver who stopped at the wrong station and on being tackled about it drove off leaving me stranded on the platform :headbang: ... I understand that there is a video of the happening on YouTube - I've not watched it. :D

'Trains of the Western Region are to be recreated on the Swanage Railway on Thursday 7th May as part of the exciting opening to this year’s 10th annual Diesel Gala and Dorset Beer Festival running between Friday 8th and Sunday 10th May.

The 'Go West' gala preview day sees Class 45 45060'Sherwood F orrester’ and Class 50 50035 'Ark Royal' operating alongside steam-hauled trains with the first train departing Swanage at 10am.

Courtesy of GBRf,one of their Class 66 locomotives will be named ‘Swanage Railway' on Thursday 7th May at Swanage Station by GBRf's Managing Director John Smith and Wave 105 FM DJ Mark Collins.

The three-day Diesel Gala from Friday 8th May to Sunday 10th May will see an intensive three-train service operate between Norden Park & Ride, Corfe Castle, Harmans Cross and Swanage from 8am to 12 midnight on Friday and Saturday and from 8am to 7pm on Sunday.

The visiting loco line up is (subject to availability)
Class 20 - 20118 & 20132 requested (courtesy of HNRC)
Class 25 - D5185
Class 33 - D6515 , 33111 & 33201
Class 37 - 37057
Class 45 - 45060 'Sherwood Forrester'
Class 50 - 50035 'Ark Royal'
Class 56 - 56006
Class 66 - 667** (Courtesy of GBRf)

Visitors will have the opportunity for the first time to travel over the Swanage Railways newly acquired 3 mile 'Furzebrook Branch' route from Norden to the Network Rail border near Worgret Junction.

At Corfe Castle station the Dorset Beer Festival will take place where popular Swanage Railway Ales 'Old Pusher’, 'Regulator' and new brew 'Swanage Pride' will be on sale. Other attractions include the Swanage Railway Museum and Exhibition Coach at Corfe Castle, Bachmann Trains and other trade and enthusiast stands at both Corfe Castle and Swanage.

On the Diesel Gala's Friday and Saturday eve nings a 'Beerex' train service and Wessex Belle 'Bistro’ dining train will operate. Advance booking on the Bistro is essential at http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/
Traction for the trains will be:
'Beerex': Friday 37057, Saturday D5185 and 33201.
Wessex Belle 'Bistro' Friday 45060, Saturday 50035.

On Saturday 9th May Hastings Diesels and GBRf will be operating a charity mainline charter 'The Swanage Sampler' tour from Hastings to Corfe Castle with the 6 Coach Hastings DEMU,all proceeds will be donated to the Swanage Lifeboat Appeal ( http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/ Pages/Swanage-RNLI- fundraisers-celebrate-the- halfway-point-in-their-appeal. aspx ) and GBRf's nominated charity, Leukaemia& Lymphoma Research ( https:// leukaemialymphomaresearch.org. uk/?gclid= CNWpgNiB5MMCFWaWtAodOzoA0Q ).

On Saturday 16th May the Swanage Railway is offering the opportunity of driving Class 25 D5185. At only £200 the driver experience includes a return trip at the controls of D5185, a return trip behind D5185, signal box visit, certificate of participation and a year’s membership of the Swanage Railway Trust.

Fares for Preview Day Thursday 7th May 2015
Adult £12.50 Freedom Ticket (All Day Travel) Child £7.50 Freedom Ticket (All Day Travel) Family (2 Adults + 3 Children) £35 Freedom Ticket (All Day Travel)
Fares for Diesel Gala Friday 8th May – Sunday 10th May 2015.
Adult Rover Tickets: £25 One Day Rover, £38 Two Day Rover, £46 Three Day Rover.
Discounted fares are available for children.

'Priv' card holders and CAMRA members are £18 One Day Rover, £28 To Day Rover, £36 Three Day Rover.
Preview Day, Gala Weekend Updates and further details go to www.swanagerailway.co.uk or telephone 01929 425800.

Bookings for the Swanage Railway Diesel Gala Rovers, Wessex Belle Bistro and Class 25 Driver Experience go to www.swanagerailway.co.uk or telephone 01929 425800.
Bookings for the Swanage Sampler go to www.hastingsdiesels.co.uk/ Railtours'

Shout if you need anything further (except comp tickets! :rolleyes:).

Phil