7mm Tar for Basilica Fields - a tale of everyday wagons

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Time for a health warning again... serious hacking of Slater's mouldings is immenent. Right at the beginning there was a set of photos showing the parts of the kit which were to be used and the parts which were not going to be used... well, that was not quite correct for one of the "discarded" mouldings features in this post. The brake gear needs some brake blocks of the RCH 1902 pattern and the Slater's moulding for underframe fittings has some candidates. brake-block-moulding.jpg

One of the brake block mouldings is going to be salvaged to provide two brake blocks, as here:-
brake-block-before.jpg

The Slater's moulding is generic across a range of PO wagon kits and has representations of the later, post 1907, RCH brake block. For a wagon built around the turn of the twentieth century the brake blocks were often handed and with a single hole for the brake hanger... so some cutting and shaping is required, as here:-
brake-block---after.jpg

The brake blocks are drilled 0.5mm for lace pins in each joint. Assembly of the brake hanger / block / push rod requires five pins for each block/rod assembly:- two to join the push rod, two to pivot the brake block and one to join the push rod to the tumbler. Ambis Engineering provides the brake hangers whilst Exactoscale provides the push rods.brake-block-push-rod.jpg

Here is a push rod and brake block assembly without the hangers (apologies for the strong natural lighting).
brake-block-and-push-rod.jpg

The brake block assembly is suspended from the middle bearers of the underframe by two brake block hangers seen in an earlier photo. Unfortunately the Slater's underframe moulding makes no provision for the Ambis brake block hangers so a "bracket", made from 40 x 100 thou styrene strip is fixed to the outer face of the middle bearing and slanted such that the brake block is square-on to the wheel tread. Lace pins attach the push rods to the tumbler, a dab of cyano secures the pin. All of the pins are inserted into the respective holes with the pin head towards the centre of the underframe, excess material is snipped off and then the end of the pin is filed square and smooth. The result is a wagon underframe with brake gear of prototypical appearance as in the following pikkies:-
brake-gear-1.jpg

brake-gear-2.jpg

brake-gear-3.jpg

brake-gear-4.jpg

Ah, yes, quite correct - the brake safety loops are missing, send for the Foreman! The parts are from Exactoscale - folded into an "U" shape with a dab of solder in the fold. The prototype loops are secured to the inner face of the Middle Bearers and to do that the prototype metal strip is twisted through 90 degrees at the top of the loop. A twist is put in the top of each model loop and then the loop is secured to the Middle Bearer with epoxy.
brake-safety-loops.jpg

regards, Graham

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hopefully, somewhere along the line, Rob Pulham might just chip in with his experiences of building the same kit and write about the saga of creating the etched plates for his model.

To offer any contribution to this thread I had to look back to April last year to find my "tar" tub - note the lack of a "T" this time around:p .

When I first admired Graham and Peter's build of the one that Adrian painted (shown in Graham's first post on this thread). Graham kindly offered to assist me with additional parts that I needed to enhance the Slaters' kit and to let me have his build notes which I followed pretty faithfully.

The only things that I recall doing differently to Graham is that where Graham used Milliput to fill in some of the hollows in the rear faces of the buffer beams/solebars I used only micro strip. Apart from that I have built mine exactly as Graham describes above - except that mine hasn't got beyond having it's W Irons and V hangers fitted yet...
What I did do that some may recall from my WB at the time was to replace the rather flimsy clamping bar on the top of the filler cap with one made from scrap brass. Unashamedly shown again below.

TarTub006.jpg

TarTub004.jpg

The reason that this stalled was that amongst the parts that Graham supplied was a very nice Nickel silver Exactoscale brake lever guard which I struggled to fold up to look anything like a brake lever guard. I annealed it and tried again but gave up with the concern that I would snap it into bits and since then other builds have kept this one on the back burner.

To elaborate on the second part of Graham's request, while admiring the rather nice etched plates on Graham's model and liking the colour scheme I decided to commission a set of similar plates to build no 2 from Narrow Planet at the same time as having some Charles Roberts wagon plates done.
Steve at Narrow Planet duly sent them along and they were very nice. But what I hadn't noticed, nor had Steve, was that he had spelled them wrong.

It was only when someone enquired about Narrow Planets products on RMweb and I shared a photo of my plates that Mike Edge noticed the mistake.

LNERHorsebox011_zpsd98ce893.jpg

As soon as Steve saw this he emailed me with the offer to remake the plates which he duly did. Now all I have to do it paint and fit them - which will of course requirement o amke further progress on it.....

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob.

I've puzzled over this before, so can you clear it up for me before I take this thread way off topic? Which part of the plate is mis-spelt? Ta.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I've puzzled over this before, so can you clear it up for me before I take this thread way off topic? Which part of the plate is mis-spelt? Ta.

Hi Heather,

You are in good company with this question, I had to ask Rob for a magniying glass when he asked me earlier this year! As the Honourable WT-member from Scunthorpe is likely to know the answer then you are going to be puzzled awhile longer.

Rob, thanks for the pictures. The lid clamping part is vunerable to damage and Adrian had to remake the part on Peter's tank... which is why Adrian's tar tub does not have the clamp as yet (so that Adrian can chose what to do about the fitting when he prepares the model for painting). I like the Chas. Rbts's builders plates which you have had done for your model, please post a pikkie of them.

regards, Graham

Last edited:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Your wish......

This is how they came
CharlesRoberts_zps94afd3c9.jpg

This is my attempt at painting them - working on the theory that they will be weathered I wasn't too concerned that they don't look that pristine at the moment. I have had lots of tip on how to make a better job next time so watch this space for me doing the tar tank plates again.

ChasRoberts002_zps84cb9927.jpg

and this is a shot of the replacement tar tank plates

Tartubplates_zps1da055ec.jpg

alcazar

That's better.

Gunness..a shortening of Gun House.

Right beside the Trent where the GCR crossed, now known as Keadby Bridge, (Keadby being on the other , western, side of the river).
Both have substantial wharfe space.

Keadby Bridge is rightly known as the King George Vth bridge, and used to lift.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...%2Fwww.geograph.org.uk%2Fphoto%2F3126;640;323

And from Keadby and Althorpe station:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...s.bravehost.com%2Fbarnetby%2F2hrs.htm;800;533