7mm Tedcaster Sidings - Shock horror, permanent way at last.....

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Rather than continuing to high-jack Cynric's thread I thought that I would start my own.

Having had a major clear out in the garage and repainting the walls and floor. I now have a space 2' by just short of 11' to play with. Unlike Mike's garage which has the up and over door at one end, some time ago I partitioned my garage off internally to create a workshop so while the front section still has the up and over door and houses the freezer and dryer. The rear section has a centrally located standard sized door and workbenches down one side leaving the other for the layout. it will have to be quite high off the floor as I have a router table and table saw that will need to reside underneath between uses. I will not be doing any more woodworking inside though so that should keep muck and dust to a minimum.

After Phill 's posting about the GNR book which I ordered and Cynric reminding me about the old maps site, I spent far too much time studying maps around Wakefield last night. It is quite staggering the amount of railway infrastructure that the LNER and LMS had around Wakefield and Leeds. Sadly I don't think there is much in the centre of Wakefield (Kirkgate or Westgate) that would suit the space I have. Horbury looks just too big and I even went out to East Ardsley without success. Eventually after reading Mike's layout thread with his initial plan of Crofton I had a look at Crofton. Again nothing caught my eye. Still looking I spread my search to Normanton and the vast area that the LMS had there which included a roundhouse in 1932, all of which still too big for what I am looking for. But just beyond the roundhouse was another engine shed that along with some sidings ran through to a turn table that might be worth a more detailed look. It is just a small section of a massive area but might fit the bill.

I have cropped a section of the map and re-orientated it to show the area I am looking at but I am not sure of any copyright issues so I haven't posted it. I will try to organise some templating software and draw it out to show what I mean. This may all change again once I receive the GNR book.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Following Cynric's get on with it don't leave it advice. :thumbs: When I finished work today the sun was shining so I decided to get stuck in and get my base boards made and fastened to the wall.

I was fortunate in that I had some 16mm thick pine panels of the type that pine furniture is made of. I have had them for going on 10 years with the "I will make some furniture from them" in the back of my mind, but I decided they would make great base boards. Rather more by accident than design I had used a piece of one of them a few years ago for a table top and the remaining piece and another full 1.8m just fit my available space without my having to cut them at all. I fastened supports all the way around the wall and a bracing section in the middle and then screwed 2 x 1 across the fronts to prevent any sag.

Again by luck I had thrown some fibre board that you lay under laminate floor in the skip at the weekend but they haven't been to collect the skip yet (despite phoning them on Friday to tell them it was ready for collection) so I rescued some and PVA glued a layer over the top of the pine it is a rather nice green colour so at least my base has some colour to it and it will absorb some of the sound. Photos tomorrow when the glue has dried and I have taken all the weights and clamps of it.

After further talks with my other half and her ongoing encouragement. I am now looking at extending it another 6' or so around in an L shape (Once I work out what to do with a wardrobe full of stuff).

28ten

Guv'nor
Glad to hear you are getting on with it :laugh: I had a nice parcel from C&L today 20 yards of flexitrack! You will get a lot more ideas when you have the space in in front of you. I have been doing various mockups to get some ideas and even though my sketchup is pretty good there is no sunstitute for a bit of hands on stuff :laugh:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Glad to hear you are getting on with it :laugh: I had a nice parcel from C&L today 20 yards of flexitrack! You will get a lot more ideas when you have the space in in front of you. I have been doing various mockups to get some ideas and even though my sketchup is pretty good there is no sunstitute for a bit of hands on stuff :laugh:

While I haven't anything as nice as the C&L track I have got 11 yards of Peco Bullhead to be going on with courtesy of the wife last Christmas to go with the A3.

28ten

Guv'nor
I was suprised to find the c and l is almost the same price as peco, it's only for the loop but I decided to go for the c and l because it's HiNi which apparently needs less cleaning....

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I was thinking of having a go at one or more C&L point kits once I work out a track plan. I assume that C&L is compatible with Peco but I may need to pack it to the same height?

The GNR book has arrived but I am going up to the cottage tomorrow night so I am deliberately not looking at it as I will take it with me - No PC, TV or phone up there to distract me (we do have an N gauge layout though so all is not lost :laugh: ).

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Fantastic thanks Mark, :thumbs: :thumbs:I don't mind anyone plugging anything when it helps - the sad bit is I have read your thread before but at a point where I never thought I would have the room to do anything of this nature so other than admiring it I didn't take note for future reference.

The nice 'problem' with this forum :bowdown: :bowdown: is you read so many good things you can't bookmark them all in your head.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Rob Pulham said:
I was thinking of having a go at one or more C&L point kits once I work out a track plan. I assume that C&L is compatible with Peco but I may need to pack it to the same height?

Hi Rob

Building your own points is great fun, and enables flowing trackwork that you simply can't get using PECO RTP. I set out in some detail how I build my points using C&L and Exactoscale components here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=45544

C&L is compatible with PECO. It's the same height, very nearly, but perhaps unexpectedly, the bullhead rail is not the same profile, C&L's is finer. This is not a problem, except where you are using 'proper' fishplates, ie the plastic or cast brass elongated H section ones, whereby you need to file greater clearance for the web of the rail.

Regards

Richard

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Dikitriki said:
[quote=""Rob Pulham"":39gqt0jk]I was thinking of having a go at one or more C&L point kits once I work out a track plan. I assume that C&L is compatible with Peco but I may need to pack it to the same height?

Hi Rob

Building your own points is great fun, and enables flowing trackwork that you simply can't get using PECO RTP. I set out in some detail how I build my points using C&L and Exactoscale components here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=45544

C&L is compatible with PECO. It's the same height, very nearly, but perhaps unexpectedly, the bullhead rail is not the same profile, C&L's is finer. This is not a problem, except where you are using 'proper' fishplates, ie the plastic or cast brass elongated H section ones, whereby you need to file greater clearance for the web of the rail.

Regards

Richard[/quote:39gqt0jk]

Thanks for the link Richard, I did fancy the proper cast brass fishplates after having a quick look at C&L's site the other night. The bit I need to grasp is identifying which "model" of point I need (by that I mean which number?) - and a track plan of course.

Phill, The Great Northern Shed book is superb, thanks for highlighting it.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
As promised, some pictures of progress so far.

layout-small beginings 001.JPGlayout-small beginings 002.JPGlayout-small beginings 003.JPGlayout-small beginings 004.JPGlayout-small beginings 005.JPG

It doesn't look it in the pictures (to me at any rate) but it is 2' (600mm) wide.

The wardrobe on the left is full of various tools etc. but I hope to cut it down to fit under the base boards and extend around in an L shape a bit like Mike has done in his latest plan. Once I get another wall mounted cupboard between the two above the current baseboards - I have the cupboard from my old kitchen but I was awaiting some wall mounting brackets coming (courtesy of eBay) but these have now arrived. I can transfer some stuff out to make the room.

28ten

Guv'nor
its a Shame you couldnt have seen 82G at Telford there as its a nice shed layout. if you can get the extra width it makes a big difference to the depth of field.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Unfortunately while I will be able to (fingers crossed) create the L shape I cannot go any wider as I have workbenches down the other side with a morticing machine that steps out in the middle so I need to be able to get passed it and to be able to get things in and out without destroying everything so 2' is the best iI will manage.

I will Google 82G and see if I can find any pictures of it.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
82G no1.jpg

82G no2.jpg

82G no3.jpg

82G no4.jpg

82G no5.jpg

82G no6.jpg

82G no7.jpg

28ten said:
its a Shame you couldnt have seen 82G at Telford there as its a nice shed layout. if you can get the extra width it makes a big difference to the depth of field.

I managed to see 82G at Doncaster yesterday and quite an inspiration it was. Sorry about the photo quality, they were taken on the wife's mobile

I also picked up the small layouts book from the guild stand and it has a few ideas.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

just catching up on this thread and thought that as I sem to be 'mentioned in despatches' I should at least respond.

How are you getting on with a track idea/plan, was there any inspiration in the GNR book? I have been twiddling with various options and designs for my layout and once the Q1 is completed I will spread my modelling time between the 08 and the layout - at least the design will be finalised and hopefully things will taking shape.

regards

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike, I have to be honest and say that I have been side tracked away from the track plan somewhat. There are some ideas that I would love in the GNR book but I don't think I will be able to make any real locations work in the space I have But may change when I have re-invented the space.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I haven't updated this thread in quite some time as most of this year has been spent converting the garage from the views at the start of the baseboards that I started the thread with to this:

The Gallery 001.JPGThe Gallery 002.JPGThe Gallery 003.JPGThe Gallery 004.JPGThe Gallery 005.JPGThe Gallery 006.JPGThe Gallery 007.JPGThe Gallery 008.JPGThe Gallery 009.JPGThe Gallery 010.JPG baseboards.jpg

There is still a bit of tiling to do in the workshop area - around the sink and under the glazed cupboards and three cupboard doors to get now that they have come on sale again at B&Q ( they were a later thought once we had done the bulk of the work). My spray booth is contained within a base unit so that I can spray and shut it all away once I have finished.

The last picture is a plan view of what I now have in the main area for my layout - all I need to do now is work out a track plan.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
all I need to do now is work out a track plan.

And decide to grasp the nettle..... promote Chris and yourself to Ganger and Sub-ganger, then place the order with Eaxctoscale for the rail, sleepers and chairs. (other PW suppliers are available... but not from the BBC).

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I managed to see 82G at Doncaster yesterday and quite an inspiration it was. Sorry about the photo quality, they were taken on the wife's mobile.

Just a thought Rob, I invited Nigel to bring 82G to our show this year and requested some photos for use in publicity on the net. Nigel provided about 20 decent shots along with permission to use.... so I can share those photos with you if you are interested.

regards, Graham

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
That's the plan Graham,

Having done a pre-Christmas inventory of unmade kit's:eek: , I really need to stop buying any more!! At least until I have built some of the ones that I have:p . So future funds will be spent on a turntable (Metalsmith) I think and track making materials once I have the plan.

I vaguely know that I would like a shed, the aforementioned turntable, some coal drops (requested by Chris my good lady) and I quite like the ideas posted by Adrian on his Weeping Angel's yard - the viaduct back drop. So I have ideas, I just need to turn them into something achievable.