Basingstoke The 2017 Show - the Best-in-Show layout

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
To complete the story of life at the mill, our exhibition manager has advised that Tucking Mill for 2017 was data in the wrong part of the layout spreadsheet - we hope to welcome Jerry with the Mill and the Wharfe in 2018.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
For this week we are going to the suburbs of London courtesy of the Southampton MRS... Lowe Quay in 4mm scale... the club has a good layout description on their web-site and I can do no better than the quote from that source. With acknowledgement to the Southampton MRS:-

Lowe Quay represents a goods yard somewhere to the south east of London, circa 1960; its situation being such that whilst mostly Southern Region locomotives can be seen, the occasional Western and London Midland Region loco will appear on cross-London transfer freights. The quay is alongside a small creek off the River Thames, providing a link to the London Docks and the canal network, allowing interchange of freight between coastal shipping, barges and rail, whilst substantial loading docks allow similar interchange between road and rail. Motive power is mostly, but not exclusively, steam; most of the work is carried out by small shunting engines, with little main line power to be seen.
end quote

DSC_4290_1012.jpg

DSC_4294_1014.jpg

All photos by and with consent of Andy Binns (Southampton MRS).

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The Taunton MRG is bringing Bath Green Park to our 2017 Show and has supplied a veritable cornucopia of photos - so many that I am truly spoilt for choice. For our first visit to this layout - "first" meaning that there are enough images to ensure repeated trips on the Pines - we have photos from the Railway Modeller of 2012 (all images supplied by the Taunton club for which I am very grateful).

Quite splendid architecture and quite splendid modelling... if only this had retained some level of service for another five years or so then what a treat we could enjoy every day.
RM Bath 3 web.jpg

The modelling for the 'backs' is just as good as that for the 'fronts' and the bins rather make the scene.
RM Bath 5 web.jpg

Very much an everyday scene in so many parts of the country, this reminds me of... the way to school... exploring a new town with the trusty Locoshed Directory... a way of life... and, yes, Heyside (because of the all-inclusive scene, modelling the reality beyond the railway fence).
RM Bath 10 web.jpg

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
After our trip down south on the Pines... or maybe the trip was a return up north... for this post we are off to the sunny south west and a layout set near to Truro. The Andover Model Railway Club are bringing their 7mm layout "Frogpool" to our 2017 show and an extract from the club web-site provides a very good description of the origins of the model:-

{quote}
A highly fictitious and improbably small rural GWR branch line terminus somewhere between Falmouth and Truro. The village of Frogpool actually exists and in reality is served by the railway a couple of miles away at Perranwell which is on the Truro to Falmouth branch line. The layout was built by Tony Collins, a member of the club, as an exercise in minimum space but with a track plan that requires considerable thought when marshalling rolling stock. The buildings are based on the following prototypes: Station on ‘Adelstrop’ plans from “GWR Country Stations” by Chris Leigh; Signal Cabin on ‘Burghclere’ from a photograph in “Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway” by Kevin Robertson and Roger Simmonds; Large Lamp Room and Store on ‘Tetbury’; Lamp Hut on ‘Lambourn’; Goods Shed on ‘Hemyock’; Bridge on ‘Fairford’; all these from plans and photographs in “Great Western Branch Line Termini” by Paul Karau. Other items are based on no particular prototype. Although the layout is wired to run conventionally it now possesses the option of being operated with Digital Command Control (DCC) with locomotives enhanced with steam sound.
(end quote)

All photos in this post are courtesy of Stephen Rogerson.

frogpool 1.jpg

Frogpool 2.jpg

Frogpool 3.jpg

cd8cb757ff4a.jpg

The photos which have been supplied to me do not, in my opinion, do justice to this layout... neither does the slide show on the club web-site - the infrastructure modelling appears to be of a high standard and the rolling stock is "very desirable". I shall be investigating further.

A plea for help... I have been provided with photos for a 7mm layout where the clubroom joins the layout by way of the background. Some editting of the image is needed before use in this topic and I do not have the skills to achieve what is needed.

Five photos... any volunteers?

thank you, Graham

Last edited:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
It's a shame about the photos Graham, a few of them appear blurred to my eyes.

Sorry I can't help with the photo editing it's a skill that I haven't ever mastered.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
For our sprinking of "Basingstoke 2017" this week we are off to the north of the country - to a representation of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway in the Calder Valley. I understand that our time machine has taken us back to the early 1900s... something to do with the semaphore arms. The photos here were taken at the Ally Pally show in 2015, copyright is with J.K. Wallace, photos supplied to me by David Kirby.

Calderwood is very much a layout in the landscape and makes use of that idea by including cuttings and tunnels at each end of the scenic section. I like particularly the way in which the railway infrastructure is fitted into the restricted space and I make no excuse for including "both ends" of the story.

Calderwood_b.jpg

Calderwood_c.jpg

Here is something which is not often modelled... a private siding with accompanying motive power. Also of interest in this picture is a Lanky Tin-Tab break van with running numbers for reporting the goods service to "control".

Calderwood_a.jpg

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
For this week we are visiting a LMS / GWR joint line in a non-specific location. "Porter's Lock" is from the Barnstaple Model Railway Club and the photos are by Steve Flint (Railway Modeller) courtesy of J Bowden (who appears to be a coal merchant with stacking ground at Porter's Lock). A different set of photographs can be found here .

1  2 6 2 Tank with unfitted   freight.jpg

3 As above.jpg

7 Southern engine with Engineers    Train.jpg

8 Southern Region  Excursion runs    through Porters Lock.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
A surprise addition to the show. Ian Pope of Lightmoor Press is bringing his bookshop to our 2017 show.

The Basingstoke Club is very aware that customers expect a wide range of trade offerings and Lightmoor Press brings something to our show that has not been present in previous years - well researched and printed books about the operation of PO Wagons... rolling stock of railways from north of the border... periodicals on industrial history.

Please support Ian - maybe even look-up the Lightmoor catalogue which is available on-line.

thank you, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
To paraphrase my previous post.

An even greater surprise addition to the show. Dave Hammersley of Roxey Mouldings is bringing his treasure trove of kits and bits to our 2017 show.

The Basingstoke Club is very aware that customers expect a wide range of trade offerings and Roxey brings something to our show that has not been present in previous years - kits, motors, gearboxes and wheels for the 4mm and 7mm modeller together with a wide range of adhesives and paints.

Please support Dave - maybe even look-up the Roxey catalogue which is available here.

Me? Oh yes, the presence of paints from Phoenix Precision is going to hurt the wallet... as is a probable purchase of a GWR Diagram AA3 brake van from Southwark Bridge (a brand which is safely embedded with Dave's world).

What might interest you... Heather? Chris? Mr. Grumpy? (@Heather Kay, @ChrisBr, @Mr Grumpy)
thank you, Graham

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
I love the Southwark Bridge AA3, and will buy another in the future but not just yet:)
I'm wondering what people think of Precision paints etch primer?

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I'm not sure what the question was. :oops:

I've used Precision's 2-part etch primer, which is a fiddle and faff to get right, but does what it says on the tin(s). I've since tried one of their aerosol single part jobbies, and I'm not convinced I'm doing that right either. One needs an airbrush, the other doesn't. Your mileage, as the Americans might say, may vary.

ChrisBr

Western Thunderer
As I'm only slowly working through my first WEP Open and have an Iron Mink to follow, at current pace I will be nowhere near needing to stock up the kit pile, but I will certainly be there and you never know what may fall off a shelf....

markjj

Western Thunderer
Just curious but why? - I've used it and not had any problems with it, it seems to need a bit more thinning than recommended but goes on fine for me.

Where I used to work I used to do a lot of brass painting with 2 pack etch primer which is basically what this is I believe but if it's not been mixed right or stored to long it loses a lot of it vigour. We found using etch primer in a rattle can more effective and it didn't go off.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Can you, your club or a friend help with our 2017 show?

Today, we have had a layout exhibitor withdraw from this year's event, the space allocated to the withdrawn layout is 40ft x 8ft and the layout is 7mm scale. These things happen and all we can do is ask the question of the widest audience.

We need a replacement layout and preferably a 7mm layout to maintain the spread of scales which is one of Basingstoke's trademarks. Whilst I am asking for one layout of approximately the size given we are happy to accept more than one layout if the combined space fits the "gap"... maybe a club might be interested?

Comments and suggestions welcome, thank you, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Porter's Lock has withdrawn recently from our 2017 show - we have been fortunate to find two (smaller) layouts to step in at short notice. The new layouts to my original layout list are:-

Boscawen Junction - circa 1990s and in N-gauge.

Winterley Wharf - a GWR branch / dock in 7mm scale.

My apologies, I do not have photos of either of these layouts.