7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

dibateg

Western Thunderer
So there was a lot of casting preparation:-
P1010383.JPG

With 2 loco's there is quite a lot to do!
P1010386.JPG

Frame spacers are prepared and the spring hangers attached:-
P1010384.JPG
The first spacers are tabbed in:
P1010389.JPG

Attachments

• P1010393.JPG
    P1010393.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • P1010391.JPG
    P1010391.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

adrian

Flying Squad
An impressive start - so is it a rigid front axle and compensated middle and rear? Drive to the rear axle?

dibateg

Western Thunderer
All the parts slot and tab together nicely, wouldn't it be good if all kits were like this. Work has now begun on the front framing assembly:-
P1010402.JPG

And then after adding more parts ( with the remaining in the background ):-
P1010409.JPG

So I'm developing a cycle:- Read instructions, cut out parts, tidy up, fit together, solder, then clean up. Then on to the next phase to repeat...

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Nice work Tony. What a lovely looking kit, definitely appears that these are the next generation in kit building. I know nothing of MOK having never built one but does this kit represent the best yet? In terms of ease of building I mean. I only ask as I've tea that the 8f kit was withdrawn for upgrade?

ATB Mick

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I believe the 8F is back available? it was withdrawn last year but then seemed to come back, has it gone again?

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Yes - for me I think it will be the best kit ever, the 8F was, until this one came along. Dave was going to upgrade the 8F, but that didn't happen, I guess he wanted to put the time into new projects. Best thing is to E-mail him regarding availability of the 8F, he usually responds pretty quickly.

It all fits together so well and NS solders very nicely.

Regards

Tony

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I just wish he'd do more Southern stuff. The Q1 is superb and beautiful King Arthur badly needs a Urie S15 to go with it.

It's also very interesting to see how Dave's ideas have evolved, compared with the Sans Pareil Lord Nelson, the Ivatt 4 is much more advanced.

The s7 discussion is pertinent too, the LN has s7 parts included. Maybe the lack of included parts these days is just a reflection of the commercial reality?

Steph

adrian

Flying Squad
I believe the 8F is back available? it was withdrawn last year but then seemed to come back, has it gone again?
The 8F is still available, or at least it was at Easter when I bought one.:cool:
As Tony mentioned is was "withdrawn" for an upgrade, but that never seemed to happen. Presumably he was too busy with his other projects so it's back on the market as it was originally.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Superb stuff Tony - it's made me want one even more, but what's happening with the 3rd kit that the Postie delivered?

Regards

Dan

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan -
it went to my mate Clive - from the Heyside - he's already started the tender, so eventually we should see three on Heyside...

Cheers
Tony

dibateg

Western Thunderer
So yesterday between sleeps, I managed to finish the detailing on the front platform assemblies, on to the cab today I hope. Up to now it's all been sub assemblies. Now its just beginning to look like something significant:-
P1010424.JPG

I made a decision on the numbers, 43155 and 43156, both Colwick engines, both unlined, grimy stained and unglamorous! Both had AWS, so will need all that pesky extra piping...

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Yesterdays work was to make up the cabs, and apply the overlays, one for each plane of the cab. There were also the pipe exit covers too add. This is a tricky job that takes great care to ensure no solder spills on to the cab sides. This cab features more working parts than the 8F, working tip up seats and sliding windows for starters. I forgot to put in the carriage warming valve at an an early stage, that would have been easier without the overlays on. I'm not sure what I will get done today as Mrs G wants the new computer commissioned and as it could be the warmest day for a wekk or two, I should spray the Thompsons.

P1010429.JPG

AJC

Western Thunderer
It really does look a fantastic kit..!

JB.

What he said. In 4mm I have a Bachmann model waiting the time and inclination to equip it with a Brassmasters chassis (as dad does now I come to think of it - for whatever reason we're both drawn to the apparent ugliness of the prototype). All I've done so far is to amend the smokeboox door to suit my chosen prototype, 43070, which had a BR pattern door - the smokebox number plate was higher up the door as a result - following overhaul at Swindon. Too many other things to finish at the moment for that to emerge from the queue any time soon.

Adam