7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

Western Thunderer
7mm Mick very kindly gave me a Peco Iron Tippler at the Doncaster show ( which was excellent ). Having seen Mick's wagons, this treacle coated item cannot have been of his making! So a bath of meths removed the majority of the paint. I've been a little disdainful of the Peco tipplers. Fortunately I had some Simon Thompson springs in stock - they are for 21 tonners, but they will do. So cleaned up and with new springs and Parkside buffers the wagon looks a lot more business like.
View attachment 55581

View attachment 55582

Hi Dibateg

Any more progress on the tippler wagon ?.

Steve :cool:

AJC

Western Thunderer
The bodies look different heights in the photos, am I seeing that right?

Yes, and this is correct. The taller wagon represents a dia. 1/180 (the number is from a batch built by Cravens in 1953) while the shorter (numbered for a vehicle from lot 1240 built at Shildon in 1957, so far as I can tell) is a 1/183. The reduced height was presumably an attempt to limit overloading.

Adam

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Yes, and this is correct. The taller wagon represents a dia. 1/180 (the number is from a batch built by Cravens in 1953) while the shorter (numbered for a vehicle from lot 1240 built at Shildon in 1957, so far as I can tell) is a 1/183. The reduced height was presumably an attempt to limit overloading.

Adam

Thanks Adam, every day is a school day! I'm glad that it's correct and not two manufacturers interpretation of the same diagram.

Suffering a poor kit at the moment so tend to assume everything is wrong ;-p

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adam - I should have been more descriptive, I now remember that I wrote the diagram numbers on the wagon undersides!.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adam - I should have been more descriptive, I now remember that I wrote the diagram numbers on the wagon undersides!.

No worries! I just happened to have the relevant book off the shelf: I can't usually quote such things! Writing the diagram number underneath is one of those things I've thought a good idea but never done...

Chris - I know how you feel: and admire your perseverance with your pannier: you've certainly needed it.

Adam

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Wizzing along now, the pipe work has been added. Most preserved locos have the pipes to the ejector lagged, period photos show them unlagged. I suspect they had less joins in them when the locos were built, so these are tidy. You really have to be careful with preserved locos. some of the pipe runs are completely different. Extra SR lamp irons on the smokebox door and I need to pluck up courage to put that cab roof on permanently..

P1030868.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
So, there we are, ready for the paint shop ( i.e. Warren ) . I couldn't see how the cab roof could be fixed tidily after painting, so it is now. Access into the cab is from underneath via a removable cab floor - which also has the backhead attached to it. The engine picking has been enjoyable - SR lamp irons on the front, no lifting hooks on the cab roof, no cinder guards, early pattern lubricators, unlagged pipes, large tank vent on drivers side, no patch on top of the smokebox - is that a later mod for access to the superheater headers? well, we do our best to get it right..

P1030888.JPG