The Kirtley work bench.

Peter Smith

I've begin adding the paper panels to represent the Bath stone walls, using this picture as the basis for a sheet of building paper:

BrickOldSharp0016_S[1].jpg

GPARK4.jpg

Once all the paper is in place the model will be dry brushed to blend the different colours together. This needs to be done before adding drain pipes, poster boards and so on.

GPARK3.jpg

The gutters are green because the layout it is destined for is set on the South coast.

GPARK2.jpg

GPARK1.jpg

The really interesting job is going to be the canopy over the entrance - I'm leaving that until last!

Peter

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A extraordinary fine piece of building construction.

I presume your building papers are archival after all this hard work. My experiences haven't been good and so I only trust paint nowadays.

Peter Smith

I've got buildings getting on for ten years old and they show no sign of fading; I use them for pretty much everything these days. I like printed paper, you don't have to wait for it to dry! Having said that in this weather I didn't have to wait long for the spray paint on the shell to dry either.

Peter

Peter Smith

The front of the station is about complete; I dry-brushed the stonework lightly in white and then put a layer of dilute back on the horizontal surfaces where soot would settle.

STA1.jpg

STA2.jpg

The roof lifts off using the chimneys as handles!

STA3.jpg

STA4.jpg

I should get the platform side finished tomorrow.

STA5.jpg

Peter

Attachments

• GPK 2.jpg
    GPK 2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 5

paulc

Western Thunderer
I think i will take up tiddlywinks , that is a fabulous bit of modelling Peter . Do you ever make anything small :D
Cheers Paul

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
An idle question - Wouldn't the canopy have a third post in the centre as it appears to be large span to support itself and the weight of the glazing?

AJC

Western Thunderer
And indeed, still does (it's only a porte cochere, after all, the roof is effectively a lean-to and is, I think, iron and glass).

GREEN_PARK.jpg

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer
“Funny modern contrivances”?!?

I made my living throughout the nineties by making electric (and manual) window mechanisms - not the old Mini, they stayed with a manual “butterfly” design til the end (the slidey ones had gone by the time I was involved) neither the BMW Mini, which used the competition’s product :(, but most of Rover’s production, all the Ford Transits, windey windows for Defender (and electric, there’s posh!), DB7, and some rather esoteric things like a Metro Cabrio, a Mini Cabrio, and a few strange Rolls Royce cars that are probably still hush-hush. And the PR5, the only example of which is in Gaydon museum.

I worked for the company that made the B1 Lancer and the Space Shuttle. I made the bits that made your windows go up and down...

Atb
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
:)

Never worked on things with wings...

I had a possibly misguided memory of an American flag being waved from the cockpit window, possibly after the first landing, but despite a quick google search, I couldn’t find a photo. I guess it gets a bit hotter than Dave’s planes did.

Atb
Simon

Peter Smith

I'll have the following models for sale on Stand 15 at Telford this weekend:

NER station building based on Ravenstonedale, LNER colours. NER signal box based on Grosmont, LNER colours.

MR signal box. MR Whissendine station building, suitable for LMS period until late 1930's. GNR signal box, LNER colours.

SR Hayling Island station building. GWR station building based on Hemyock. Two low relief pubs and a selection of urinals and toilets.

DON 4.jpg

DON 1.jpg

DON 6.jpg

DON 7.jpg

Peter