4mm The Somersetshire Coal Canal at Wellow

Tim V

Western Thunderer
No Templot here. In fact there is little information on the pointwork of plateways, so I've had to make educated guesses. I've just rebuilt this point, it was too sharp, caused problems. Left hand running (as on the road in the UK) was normal on plateways, so I've made the points automatic, the train will pass on the left hand loop.

Attachments

• P1000931.JPG
    P1000931.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 71

Jim Read

Hello Tim,

Brilliant stuff using C100 really great to see how you've done it especially the point. Back in the day (as they say) they would have gone for the simplest solution, they always work the best and can be fixed by the local Blacksmith.

Cheers - J

Tim V

Western Thunderer
Currently I'm working on the engine. A locomotive was tried on the plateway in 1826, which sets the date (conveniently). The basis was a Dapol small prairie chassis, with new wheels. I've stuck a Stephensons Rocket body on to give me a starting point. The chimney will have to fold. An early picture of it here. I'm working on an 0-4-0 tender design.

Attachments

• Canal layout (99).JPG
    Canal layout (99).JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 70

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Great stuff, Tim - I remember the genesis of this project being on "the other place" - you're certainly moving forward with what is shaping up to be a show-stopper of a layout. Using PECO rail on its side is genius, but I must admit I'm having trouble working out how the switch "blades" work.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers,
Mark

Tim V

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the comments, yes, the early phase of the layout was in another place.

There are no 'switch blades', but I've had to put a bit of wire in to 'direct' the train into the correct road. It is all 'low tech'!

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Ah, I see - I wondered if there were pivoting plates, a bit like a stub point. And low tech works best for me ;)

Cheers,
Mark