Thinking of swapping scales what do people recommend.

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
I am a great believer in the project sets the scale, so if for example I wanted a big open scene with the trains running in the landscape I would be looking at N. However the theory is fine but since working in O gauge, I have found it very hard to move back down the sizes. I did recently do some work on L&Y wagons, which I enjoyed but to change scale completely. That would be really tough.

Do you need a fully functioning layout? Or would a diorama suit?

8' x 2' is actually a pretty tight space in most scales. I think I would be tempted to stay 7mm and try and go quality rather than quantity.

John

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I have some P4 kit already and I'm a member of the Scale four society. It looks good but I keep looking a S. I was first introduced to it while watching a layout called St tudy at York show about 20 years ago.
Hello Marc
S is very tempting. If you go S then why not model the NZR? That way you can justifiably run 1/64 scale on 00 gauge track :drool:
(Caveat: this might be just a selfish attempt from me in trying to get increase the number of UK modellers (and importers) so as to offset the current exchange rate/post charge/customs debacle that hampers my niche ambitions ) :))

(I model in P4 mostly, and it isn't the pain it's sometimes made out to be) :thumbs:
If you need further advice, then by all means drop me a DM.

Cheers

Jan

Western Thunderer
I tend to think the key question is about what you want to recreate. Often, an experience one had — or would like to have had — in the past. As a child and teenager, we lived near a busy main line and I used to watch trains from the line side travelling at speed. Later, I mostly watched trains from station platforms. But always, the train appeared large, I was looking up at it. It was also noisy and dirty — and exciting to watch. You can’t really look up at an n gauge train as it is no taller than your eyeball. So it is inevitably viewed from above. If I had lived in a tower block as a child, viewing trains as tiny, near-silent objects, maybe I would want n gauge — to recreate that experience. I concluded 0 gauge was really the smallest size where trains could be viewed in a way comparable to how one normally looks at a real train going past. It’s small enough to be possible indoors, but large enough for the models to have some of the presence and bulk that is part of the essence of a real train. It is possible of course to recreate more-or-less exactly the external characteristics of a real rail vehicle in pretty much any scale from 2 mm upwards. Some of the more intangible aspects of the ‘real train experience’ I think are hard to recreate in the smallest scales.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Marc

Having reached Quandry Junction (new layout name?) and with the decision made to sell the layout I would pack it all away and take a break from it for a while..... 'outta sight - outta mind' so to speak and recharge the batteries.

At this stage I personally wouldn't see any benefit in rushing into a new layout and scale and make a decision you may later regret. I'm sure we've all been there and have the tea towels, table mats and T-shirts to boot.

During the break, ideas will come to you while idly perusing railway models, books, prototypes, etc, etc and you will find a happy medium and prototype you like to fit your available space - irrespective of whether it ends up as N 1:148 or 1:160, TT 1:120, HO 1:87, 4mm 1:76 (in its many gauges :eek:), 7mm 1:43 and so on.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Totally agree with Dave, Marc.

Lock it away but then perhaps spend a bit of time reading books, magazines and doing some non- specific ' research' online.

At some point, you will stumble across an image or two that ignites that spark, be it of a location or a loco, coach etc.

The subject will indicate the scale/gauge to build in.

Rob

Western Thunderer
Yes, this has to be the way, get inspired, do research, make plans. Sit back in the armchair for a while, think on, then crack on. Then sit back in the armchair. My next project is based around the Forest of Dean branch with a colliery siding. I've read the Paul Karau book, browsed the OPC FoD track plans book. I then found the 1950 working timetable and copied it out into Google Sheets, then transposed the Upper Soudley train times and found a whopping 16 trains a day, weekdays only. Three types of train, GWR autotrailer, Panniers on colliery trains and goods trains. Nice. I've decided an old tablet I have will be the timetable display again as per my Dublingham layout, so it will be fun to operate. I've got a pannier in the bag already and even read that and 08 made it to Cinderford in 1962, which is great, because I have one. All EM. Research is just as much fun as building.
Tony

Western Thunderer
Mind you my last EM project, a roundy-roundy got dropped because I don't have the space to store it, hence a new shelf based project.
Tony

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Yes, that chestnut again the question of scale Marc. Already some fellow WTS have come to the rescue in this search for the ultimate question in the model railway world and I am sure you will receive more responses leaving you to decide. (or not!)

I believe it is a very personal decision but it also can leave you never to settle on a project. I know all too well, the procrastinator does not achieve much.

Here's the problem, I have been interested in portraying a scale model of Abbotsbury since I discovered the old station back in the 1970s. As many are aware it is a very long terminus requiring a substantial length even in 2mm FS.

Modelling the stock and locos is not too arduous as there was a GW 517 class with an auto coach and a steam railmotor, a few wagons and not much else. Sorry no 060s as there was a restriction at up Upwell, so no panniers or saddle tanks.

Attempts at starting have been made in N gauge very early 1980s then 4 mm and even a start on part of the engine shed in 7mm. But all have been abandoned due to one thing or another usually house renovations etc so no real place to set up.

There is a great temptation to go 4 mm now with the KMRC Great Western steam rail motor now available in crimson, the period I would like to model is early WW1. There are also kits available for the 517 in this scale but this all seems to me for such a project not very challenging. (to me)

Ian Smith's 2 mm FS Modbury shows what can be done in this scale, plenty of detail and challenges but here's the thing I personally like 3 link couplings!

7 mm would give me the chance to really go to town. But as I said earlier, space is an issue the terminus would need 30 feet just to the engine shed!

I can hear some WTs shouting "garden.... ". Very nice and believe you me since seeing Croft 1/32 scale it crossed my mind, but the garden maybe for something else. I do like large scale trams.

There have been many outstanding models in 3 mm and this route was explored in the 90s making a few wagon kits from the 3 mm MRS.

I keep returning to S scale as being a viable option. After all I would only need a couple of locos and a few wagons, how hard can that be!! I won't go into the details about its virtues as many have already stated that but at least I can see the three-link couplings and it won't be much longer than 4mm. Isn't a "chain" 66 feet, only a small error in reading the layout plans?

So after all this waffle maybe the answer is simply personal and what suits you. As far as how to start I have gone down the chosen prototype route rather than chosen the scale but that has caused the decision problem.

It is the enjoyment (research and trying different models) that is important after all it is a hobby and that is what makes this question so difficult. That and all the distractions!! The quest still produces results be it a model railway or a selection of models in various scales.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a model from me yet and also I apologise for such a long winded "reply"

Good luck

Julian

paratom

Western Thunderer
Modelling in EM is a lot easier these days than years ago. Most ready to run coaches and wagons will take EM gauge wheels, locos are a bit more complicated. With track building you can purchase ready made points and strait track although you are quite limited when it comes to track design. Keep us up to date with your progress.

Tom

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
After all I would only need a couple of locos and a few wagons,
:)) :)) :)) yeah, right, we've ALL said that when contemplating or starting a new project!! ;) :)
I view my British O Scale stuff as more of a 'diversion' from my main interest; I started out with a Heljan Hymek & a kit-built Barclay 0-6-0 diesel. That was all I 'needed' for my layout idea, & I thought I couldn't afford much more anyway. Well over a decade later I'm amazed to find I now have 11 British locos, 12 if I include my Ellis Clark Wickham trolley!! :confused: :oops: :drool:

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I have been giving my canundrum a lot of thought over the last week or so. And I think that I have a way of solving the main issue. I have a Scalesceens canal basin kit that I downloaded during lockdown so I'm going to do what set out to do 4 years ago, but with a twist I'm going to build one in P4, one in S and one in S7.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
0 gauge on a short plank allows you to knock a few wagons about with an engine, but beyond that you're stuffed. 00 will allow you much more scope and you are spared the chore of converting every new purchase to a wider track gauge.

0 gauge is very photogenic mainly because of the near scale track and of course the detail, so it looks good on forums. What I found though was I never really noticed the track when 'playing trains', so for me 00 was adequate. Building coaches in 7mm scale is time-consuming to say the least, but far less so in 4mm. Nevertheless, 0 gauge would be my choice if my shed was bigger.

mswjr

Western Thunderer
Totally agree with the above, O is a great size and scale, you get voices in your head when seeing it at exhibitions, But trust me it is big, a couple of wagons and a loco and it is huge and no where to run unless you have the space, So for me i have settled on E M gauge. And i am really enjoying it.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I have been doing some sole searching over the last few months and I've found something to have a go at East Cornwall Mineral Railway circ 1900. It's 3ft6 NG so works out at 16.5mm gauge in S scale. One class of loco and as far as I can see one type of wagon.
Marc

JimG

Western Thunderer
I have been doing some sole searching over the last few months and I've found something to have a go at East Cornwall Mineral Railway circ 1900. It's 3ft6 NG so works out at 16.5mm gauge in S scale. One class of loco and as far as I can see one type of wagon.

That could be a good scale/gauge choice since 4mm scale parts could be used to construct loco chassis and freight stock underframes. Superstructures would most likely have to be scratchbuilts but I suspect that this would be required for whatever scale you choose. Sn3.5 is also popular in New Zealand and, to a lesser extent, South Africa, where Cape gauge was standard. So you could also find suitable products from New Zealand.

For track you could use existing ready built 16.5mm gauge products but I suspect you would probably want to scratchbuild the track.

Jim.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
I have a O-16.5 layout that got no further along than laying the track so as a first go at Sn3.5. it's a shunting puzzle that is 4ft by 18inches. It will need a fiddle yard building.
Marc

John_B

My test track has 9, 12, 16.5, 18.2, 18.83, 28.08 and 32mm gauges on it, some intended to be used for more than one scale! Scale and gauge are just easily changed settings in CAD or a slicer :)

paulc

Western Thunderer
Marc
Don't take this as being rude Marc but that sounds very boring . One class of loco , even in different colours , emmmm.
One type of wagon , probably grey aaahhhhh .
Just a thought .