USATC S100

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Methinks you'll be hunting down as many S100 sources and photos as you can :).

And yes, you would have rebuild the cab for an original round window version and source US detailing parts for the boiler valves, injectors, etc. I used both Precision Scale (albeit 1/48) and scratchbuilt.

From photos the WD/W^D lettering tended to be non-standard and appeared to have varied between the various Transport Corps Regiments. My initial sercahes for these would be for military modellers decals.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
By WW2, were bar frames for these locos still being assembled from individual pieces, forged or welded together?
Where joined, they have very large radius fillets on the insides of the frame apertures. Would the vertical bars for such an assembly be shaped to include those fillets beforehand?

I've been through two of my books R Tourret's Allied Military Locomotives of the Second World War and H Sprenger, K Roberston and C Sprenger's The Story of the Southern USA Tanks and neither reveal anything about the construction of the S100 bar frames.

However, R Higgins's Over Here The story of the S160 does allude to the KWVR S160 brought over from Poland had frame sides from two sources - Lima and Alco (I think) which would imply they are fabricated rather than cast. Which could have applied to the S100.

In the meantime I'll keep digging. :)

Last edited:

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
From John K Brown's book, "The Baldwin Locomotive Works 1831-1915" ( page 194 - condensed):

"By the turn of the century, railway master mechanics were increasingly specifying cast steel for many components previously made of forged iron. Entire locomotive frames came to be made of the new material, which was stronger and less likely to contain the hidden flaws often found in wrought-iron forgings worked up under a steam hammer. Pattern makers and molders replaced blacksmiths and hammer men."

However, the Midland Railway missed out on this development apparently, when they ordered 2-6-0 locomotives from Baldwin in 1899.
David Hunt wrote in his "Midland Record" No.1 Supplement that horns were forged solid in between upper and lower longitudinal bars of hammered iron.

Four decades on, it seems likely that the S100 locos had cast steel frame sides, planed and slotted where required.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've soldered the two cylinder assembly halves together and spent the last half hour grinding it into shape.

20240207_194416.jpg

Needs a lot more work!!! It's just resting on the frames at the moment and will need lowering by a few mil.

I can't help thinking it'd be an awful lot easier to make these assemblies and even the bodywork from Plastikard. I mean how strong does all these need to be?

Mike

timbowales

Western Thunderer
I've soldered the two cylinder assembly halves together and spent the last half hour grinding it into shape.

View attachment 208734

Needs a lot more work!!! It's just resting on the frames at the moment and will need lowering by a few mil.

I can't help thinking it'd be an awful lot easier to make these assemblies and even the bodywork from Plastikard. I mean how strong does all these need to be?

Mike
When it takes an unintended dive to the floor then you’ll know how strong it needs to be, no need to ask how I know……
Tim T

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Assembly of the firebox/boiler/smokebox relatively straightforward.
20240210_170507.jpg20240211_094653.jpg20240211_192629.jpg20240211_192733.jpg

I'm not clear however as to how the firebox profile goes. There's no info in the instructions, so I guess it's time for trial and error.
20240211_192901.jpg

Still a long way to go judging from the above pic! I think the whitemetal cylinder will be replaced with something a bit less clunky.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Having dutifully followed the instructions and soldered up the rear of the cab I'm wondering if this is correct. The bunker was modified when in Southern ownership, but it's not symmetrical. The revised rear windows were accordingly not the same with the r/h one being deeper. Fair enough, but the kit portrays them as bring the same!

I've indicated below what I mean.

20240216_101226.jpg

I've not been able to find a photo showing both rear windows the same depth, so I'm assuming the kit is incorrect.

Mike

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Not all had their right hand (as seen from the rear) window deepened on the cab rear. The left one is correct as the brake handle is on this side.

It's best to find photos of the loco you intend to model as for some the kit cab rear is correct. And to check whether the coal protection bars are present.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Not all had their right hand (as seen from the rear) window deepened on the cab rear. The left one is correct as the brake handle is on this side.

It's best to find photos of the loco you intend to model as for some the kit cab rear is correct. And to check whether the coal protection bars are present.
Just gotta find that elusive photo! If not I'm tempted to backdate the model to the round windows.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I'm currently trying to figure out where this part goes. It's not numbered and the instructions just say 'Form bar which supports cab and solder in place'.

20240222_184810.jpg20240222_185157.jpg
Really helpful! :rant:

I'll just carry on without it unless anyone has any suggestions as to where it might go (in the bin?).

Mike