Visit to Mangapps Museum (August 2023)

steve50

Western Thunderer
Have fun Richard, I haven't been there in a while but I've always enjoyed visit's there, a good place to go to see a shunter or two, some interesting stuff on show. Be good to see a few pics. Enjoy!

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I want to go next week. I have always admired the collection of signalling equipment. This will be my first visit since I started to try to model a scene in East Anglia, so I expect I will see the rolling stock (and, indeed, the grounded coach bodies) in a new light.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'd be taking this absolutely out of sequence for the Tim Mills files but he shot a film in colour which he entitled "Area surrounding Kings Cross Station" in June 1987. I've almost finished editing it but if it may be of interest right now I'd be happy to put it on WT in the knowledge that you'll see no more of Tim's colour photos until we've finished the B & W.

Having said that there's another B & W sequence around Shoreditch in the 1980s. It's the very last of the B & W photos I was intending to show but may just be helpful.

Brian

David Waite

Western Thunderer
I want to go next week. I have always admired the collection of signalling equipment. This will be my first visit since I started to try to model a scene in East Anglia, so I expect I will see the rolling stock (and, indeed, the grounded coach bodies) in a new light.
Hi Richard
If you take some photos of the signalling equipment I would love to see them.
David.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard
David.

Will do. The collection of signalling equipment is enormous - probably the best in Great Britain. So I suggest, I will choose some subjects where I can take better photographs. The museum is barely 20 miles from home, so I can always make a repeat visit :)

Alan

Western Thunderer
When taking a school trip (11 year olds) to Newham's outdoor centre at Heybridge Basin we visited Mangapps and did a fair bit of sketching, it was an art based trip. Very good I imagine it has improved since as that visit must have been some 30 years ago at least.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
There is (or was) this coach at Battlesbridge Antiques Centre:
View attachment 193403
Lovely. A Johnson GER type 2a coach body from the early 1870s

Either
a diag 401 5 compart 3rd
A diag 300 5 compart 2nd

They were basically the same body but the 2nd had full height partitions between compartments... Looks like the interior had been removed on that one so hard to tell

Impressions, 23 August 2023

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
P1050409.jpeg
Train rides.

P1050415.jpeg
Picnic area.

P1050335.jpeg
GER coach bodies and van.

P1050381.jpeg
Signalling equipment.

The museum claims "the railway signalling collection is the largest of its kind on public display in Britain" and I can hardly doubt this.

All in all, a grand day out. I took rather a lot of photos so I will post these in groups with threadmarks to suit.

GER 1864 coach bodies

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
There are two ex-GER coach bodies in the museum.
  • Number 347, painted in green and cream, was built in 1864 and later became part of a house in Westleton, Suffolk
  • Number 381, currently painted black on one side and unpainted on the other, was also built in 1864 and later fitted with iron road wheels and used as a living van by a threshing contractor at Ugley, Essex.
The two bodies are resting on three 4-wheel rail trucks built to carry naval guns.

P1050318.jpegP1050320.jpeg
P1050326.jpeg
P1050336.jpeg

P1050337.jpeg
P1050327.jpeg
P1050328.jpeg
P1050330.jpeg
P1050331.jpeg
P1050332.jpeg

Signalling equipment and signals

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard
David.
There must be hundreds of block instruments on display. Many are behind glass screens so I chose the ones where the reflections were not too bad.

P1050341.jpeg
P1050342.jpeg

P1050346.jpeg

P1050350.jpeg
P1050351.jpeg

P1050352.jpeg

P1050353.jpeg
P1050356.jpeg

P1050362.jpeg
P1050357.jpeg

And sitting inside a van:

P1050386.jpeg
P1050388.jpeg

There are far too many to comprehend really, this is just a tiny selection.