Visit to Mangapps Museum (August 2023)

GER vans (four different ones)

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I saw four GER vans at the museum. It is difficult to know just which details to record so the photographs here are a selection, usually where I could find space to stand to hold the camera. The four vans have four different arrangements of brake gear :rolleyes:

A GER van built in 1881.

P1050310.jpeg
P1050307.jpeg
P1050308.jpeg
P1050309.jpeg
P1050305.jpeg

Last edited:

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Wow!! No, don't tell them about that - they pollute this fine Forum enough with their Foreign Rubbish :rolleyes: :mad:

Oh, hang on...... :oops:

So, serious question - how on earth did a Canadian Wide Vision Caboose find itself across The Pond..??!!??
I think he wanted one so he just went and got it..............
There is a bit of a tale there (as always) but the Canadians were super helpful when they realized where it was going.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Wow!! No, don't tell them about that - they pollute this fine Forum enough with their Foreign Rubbish :rolleyes: :mad:

Oh, hang on...... :oops:

So, serious question - how on earth did a Canadian Wide Vision Caboose find itself across The Pond..??!!??

The caboose arrived in 2011 and there are a few notes at the foot of the 'latest news' page on the museum's web site:
http://www.mangapps.co.uk/news.html

There is an account of the acquisition in one of the heritage railway magazines. The pages are pinned up inside the van, you should make a visit one day :)

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard
Thanks for taking photos of the Signalling equipment great to see, the RSCo Key Token Instrument is certainly unique I wonder if it was made solely for the LMS its such a compact unit.
David.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the photos Richard, really helpful stuff

That 1881 van is of interest.... Got a couple of them hanging around in model form. Everyone seems to call them Worsdel vans but that can't be true if that date is correct as Worsdel only came to the GER in 1882

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
That 1881 van is of interest.... Got a couple of them hanging around in model form. Everyone seems to call them Worsdel vans but that can't be true if that date is correct as Worsdel only came to the GER in 1882

Taking a quote from the web site of the GER Society,

"the impending opening of the GN & GE Joint line was seen in 1881 to require 500 additional wagons. These were judged to be 200 box or covered trucks, 150 cattle and 150 ‘half moon’ or round ended wagons"

perhaps, the first of these vans (including the one at Mangapps) were built in 1881, and the rest followed during the stewardship of Worsdel. This would make sense if wagon production at Stratford was 20 units/week and began at the end of 1881.