Weathered Locos & Stock

daifly

Western Thunderer
Somewhere there must be Matrin's complete thread on the 37 but it didn't come up on mysearch.
Dave

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
I’ve recently completed the weathering jobs on these two lovely EM2 ’Woodhead’ locos. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed working on them.
The roofs have been a real delight to undertake particularly around the pantographs.
Built by Nick Dunhill
Painted by Paul Moore
Etches and 3D work by Mick DaviesIMG_6400.jpegIMG_6401.jpegIMG_6403.jpegIMG_6407.jpegIMG_6409.jpeg

Last edited:

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Another ‘modern image’ machine that I’ve just completed the weathering on; a Masterpiece Models Western, Class 52.
It took a lot of effort to try and recreate the worn look of the paintwork, and in some ways, I still feel I could’ve gone further with it; always the way with me.
I’ve particularly enjoyed recreating the detail of oil leakage and fuel spills, along with the accumulated grime these machines collected over time.
I even weathered the underneath! (I always do to be honest).
IMG_6932.jpegIMG_6950.jpegIMG_6945.jpegIMG_6941.jpegIMG_6943.jpegIMG_6944.jpegIMG_6948.jpeg
IMG_6882.jpeg

Last edited:

steve50

Western Thunderer
Superb! Did you use your usual methods? I've been watching the videos you did for the O gauge guild for some inspiration to weather a couple of Ballast wagons.

jonte

Western Thunderer
I feel your pain, Neil ;)

Appreciably so, a lot of praise is heaped on military modellers when doing this sort of thing.

However, IMHO, it’s difficult to overdo the ‘weathering’ on a tank or submarine etc. shown in work-a-day condition, but apart from the odd extreme case, locomotives tend to be a little more subtle in the main, therefore I reckon you were bang on the money when you say you had to exercise some restraint with this example.

Well observed, I’d say.

Jon

paratom

Western Thunderer
View attachment 151834 View attachment 151833 I’ve posted a fair amount of my weathering work on various FB railway modelling pages, but this will be the first independently* on WT!
*Some 4mm scale weathered wagons I’ve undertaken appear in the Layout Progress section, ‘Kingswear’ thread.

The loco is a Robinson O4 built by David Andrews from his own kit and painted by John Cockcroft.
The weathering certainly won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of replicating all the filth, grime and texture in 7mm scale.
The loco is depicted on Kevin Wilson’s wonderful Bucks Hill Model Railway.
(My photo)
Neil Podbery
Lovely work although on my locos the Midland Railway would never of allowed their locos out of the engine sheds looking like that. Is there a cant on that curve?

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Lovely work although on my locos the Midland Railway would never of allowed their locos out of the engine sheds looking like that. Is there a cant on that curve?
There isn’t, but the loco is an S7 example sat on f/s track that perhaps gives it that appearance?

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Superb! Did you use your usual methods? I've been watching the videos you did for the O gauge guild for some inspiration to weather a couple of Ballast wagons.
I did Steve,
To confess though, I was a bit out of my depth initially regarding the worn-faded paintwork (not so much the fading).
Obviously the paint layers come through from below on the prototype and trying to make it look that way rather than other way around as it is on the model - for me - was tough.
I tried 2/3 methods, more by accident than design.
Essentially I put the chipped-damage layers onto the Masterpiece gloss top coat first, then worked over those (once dry) with the various semi-transparent oil layers. I then gently satin varnished over that and once dry, added some more body colour marks of slightly differing shades over the satin varnish (AK Acrylic) to gain the effect(s).
Hope that’s useful.
Neil.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Neil, as usual you have captured these locos perfectly.
I travelled many miles on these as second man, at which time, it seemed most of them were turned out in maroon, and although I would have preferred to be firing a steamer, I must admit when climbing out of the Severn Tunnel unassisted with a full load, the sound did make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!
Regards
Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hi Neil

I've been applying weathering to my model locos with varying degrees of success over the years. However, your use of oil paints has been a real eye-opener for me. I've been experimenting with oils on my last two builds and am really enjoying the process.

I think the longer drying time is a great advantage as it gives me time to work the various colours. I also like the fact that the oil paints don't seem to leave a 100% matt finish. I don't think anything in real life is totally matt as there's always some sort of light reflection.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Mike

michael mott

Western Thunderer
I’ve recently completed the weathering jobs on these two lovely EM2 ’Woodhead’ locos. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed working on them.
The roofs have been a real delight to undertake particularly around the pantographs.
Built by Nick Dunhill
Painted by Paul Moore
Etches and 3D work by Mick DaviesView attachment 202564View attachment 202565View attachment 202566View attachment 202567View attachment 202568
What a great piece of model making by a professional team!
Michael

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Neil, as usual you have captured these locos perfectly.
I travelled many miles on these as second man, at which time, it seemed most of them were turned out in maroon, and although I would have preferred to be firing a steamer, I must admit when climbing out of the Severn Tunnel unassisted with a full load, the sound did make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!
Regards
Mike
Thank you Mike, very kind.
Love the story too. I appreciate your desire - as mine would’ve been - to be firing a steamer.
Must have been quite something though sat up front on those Westerns roaring away!

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Glad you’re enjoying the oil paint usage Mike.
They’re so much more forgiving than enamels in my opinion (though enamels will always have a place on my workbench; through the airbrush). Oils blend so well as you say; a throw back really to my days painting in 2D on canvas…