Wencombe /Kingsbridge Regis/Louville Lane

Mr Tiger Viking

Western Thunderer
Hi Alan,
Great photos, which are really helped by the soft tone of the background and the depth of field, reminds me of when I was a young child and seeing tank engines shunt the goods yard at Cheltenham St James station, nice weathering on the Tanks engines and the layout which reminds me of Brent station.
Regards
Mr Tiger Viking

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I must add crew.
I must admit I have a bit of a 'thing' about crew in model Steam Locos... to me they're essential. I recall seeing that "Holiday Haunts" O scale layout a while back, and shuddering at the sight of crew-less locos thundering along... it just doesn't look right at all! The other side of the argument, that locos might not have crew aboard when on shed, doesn't wash with me, as at some point or other the loco is going to move, so it needs crew. If the Fireman especially is put in a pose other than the cliche "Bent double shovelling frantically" stance, they can look very good whether the loco is stationary or at full tilt.

Alan

Western Thunderer
the difference a crew make.
Just for Jordan the fireman is just admiring the view and looking at the cameraman as 4679 drifts across the stream before entering Wencombe with the local frieght from SlaptonView attachment 7818crew 3.jpg

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
There's a wonderful photo taken by Ben Ashworth of two Pannier Tanks together, (I can't remember where offhand) but there's obviously a lull in shunting, and both Firemen are sat by their windows, heads resting on arms... as Ben said in the caption - "Showing the effects of early rising..!!" :D

Alan

Western Thunderer
Another loco recently worked on is the Bachmann Hall, which has been renumbered and named 6954 Lotheron hall, a Newton Abbot loco. It has been lightly weathered to suggest it is only a few weeks after an overhaul.crew 4.jpgcrew 5.jpg

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Lovely looking layout Alan and shows how good a OO based set up can be using some of the modern rtr stock with a little personalisation.
I'd love something like that to work on and just play trains with simply to run some days.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Now having been in service for some months 6331 pauses at Wencombe with a Newton Abbot- Kingsbridge stopper6331 weathered 2.jpg6331 weathered.jpg

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Ooh, very nice... now you are showing off!!! :rolleyes: :D
Interesting to see how the weathering has toned down the red buffer beans in particular, and the bent valance is duly noted...:bowdown::thumbs:

*thinks* I wonder how many of these I could afford if I put my SB one on Ebay...?? :cool: :drool:

Alan

Western Thunderer
Do you remember that warm summer's sunny day at Wencombe with the distant call of a skylark and the clank and hiss of steam of 4679 shunting. hot sunny afternoon f2.jpghot sunny afternoon f1.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
That looks terrific, the weathering is subtle, the pose of the figure in the cab looks very natural and I like the low viewing angle too:thumbs:

Simon

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
You are spoiling us so much with these pics you should have your Butler come round with a tray of chocolates wrapped in gold foil...... Mr Ambassador.... ;)

Alan

Western Thunderer
Whoops a failed 22 being pulled by a mogul on the early morning parcels empties to Kingsbridge.failed 22 f1.jpg

This 22 does work well actually and is my Silver Fox one.

After clearing the line the manchester train arrives behind 6829 Burmington Grange

grange f2.jpg

She is waiting the arrival of the Exeter-Kingbridge stopper which today is a Class 117 DMU

117 f1.jpg