Wheel Flange or Not

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Was that how it was done on a 9F? I've no idea.
Tony
Yes, it enabled it to traverse tighter radius curves than if it had all flanged wheels. The LNWR did it on the 0-8-0 'A' class loco's and I assume the other 0-8-0 class's.
I can't be specific but I believe that sometimes flanges are are turned to different widths on loco wheel sets also to give clearance.

Western Thunderer
I was really intrigued by the video showing that the back to back dimension is less than a flanged wheelset and the tyre width being more than the flanged wheel, so did wonder if that was UK practise.
Tony

Mike W

Western Thunderer
The LNWR did it on the 0-8-0 'A' class loco's and I assume the other 0-8-0 class's.
The first LNWR class A 0-8-0s were fully flanged, but after the first batch (20?) they went to flangless on the third pair and all subsequent engines were flangeless. Sorry, I have no idea about the width or the profile but since one is preserved that information must be known.

Mike

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Some dimensions I have.

L&YR 0-8-0 Wheels.

Tyre Width, 5 1/2 inches.
Tyre Depth, wheel to bottom of flange, 4 1/8th.

Leading and Trailing wheel flanges, 9/16ths radius.
Leading and Trailing wheel flange to tread, 5/8ths radius.

Driving and Intermediate wheel flanges, 3/8ths radius.
Driving and Intermediate wheel flange to tread, 3/4ths radius.

L&YR A Class 0-6-0 Wheels

Basically, as per the 0-8-0's above.
1671591418619.png

LNWR G2 Class Wheels (can also be used on G [non-superheated], G1 [superheated] and 0-8-2T & 0-8-4T [non-superheated] when fitted with G2 Class crank pins and coupling rods)

Tyre Width, 5 3/4 inches.
Leading, Driving and Trailing wheels, flanges
Intermediate wheels, no flanges

1671592561163.png
1671592631284.jpeg

Ian

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I would also note that there is no coning on a flangeless wheel and they are bevelled both sides, not always done on model wheels.

jc2001

Western Thunderer
I find it understandable that some wheels can be flangeless on a coupled wheel set as long as there are two axles with flanges. What I still don't understand is on the Bosnian Klose 2-4-2s BOTH coupled driving wheel sets were flangeless. I think somehow the tender controlled the curve the loco and wheel sets adopted so the coupled wheels stayed on the rails.
John

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Too close to the end of the day to get my head around this but Klose looks to have developed a fascinating self-steering axle system - that required coupling rods to change length when going round bends.....::eek::

So I guess that so long as the outer (2-x-2) axles had flanged wheels the inner, driving, wheels steered themselves a path that kept them centred on the rail........

jc2001

Western Thunderer
Thanks for posting the link. From what I understand is on the 2-4-2s (not shown in the linked page) only the leading and trailing wheels flexed and yes they must have had flanges.