Which tools?

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
I use my Park Tools cable cutter (for bike cables), great tool but at £20 online maybe a bit OTT. There must be cheaper cable shears out there.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
I use my Park Tools cable cutter (for bike cables), great tool but at £20 online maybe a bit OTT. There must be cheaper cable shears out there.

Sounds like a good idea, I don't think £20 it OTT for something which can cut cycle brake cables, I remember years ago trying to cut brake cable inners with regular wire cutters I never got a good clean cut.

Dave

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I use the Xuron #2193 'Hard wire cutters' (with blue handles) for piano wire - they work really well and give a nice clean cut.
Steph

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Two sets of tools that I would not be without now are two sets of diamond needle files one set was bought from Aldi and the other smaller set from Micro Mark in the US of A.

One thing I would not say was essential but handy is a mains powered Dremel with a flex shaft (Axminster tools), I don't use it for drilling as it's too fast but its ideal for slitting discs (cutting piano wire) and burrs for cleaning castings etc. I tend to use the collet chuck with it not the three jaw chuck.

A face plate is handy for checking the flatness and marking out of things (but a proper one is quit expensive) if you keep an eye out in places like Wikos, Tesco Etc you can get a granite worktop protector for about £10. The best price I've seen is about £6.00 in Home Bargains.

OzzyO.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Time for another bit of kit.

Now I have finally got started I found I need some sort of magnifying light, as I already wear specs. I would prefer something which I don't wear.

Any recomendations?

Something which can be bought on the high street would be idea as I don't want to wait for yet another delivery.

Dave

S

SteveO

I have a simple magnifying glass affair on a bendy rod. It's got crocodile clips on similar bendy arms and a battery operated light. It's not great but it's OK. Heather has a better looking one with a much larger 'window' to see through. I may replace mine with one of those.

I'm also on the lookout for tiny engineers squares and magnets to hold corners true for soldering.

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
I have a simple magnifying glass affair on a bendy rod. It's got crocodile clips on similar bendy arms and a battery operated light. It's not great but it's OK. Heather has a better looking one with a much larger 'window' to see through. I may replace mine with one of those.

I'm also on the lookout for tiny engineers squares and magnets to hold corners true for soldering.

Hi Steve

I was looking at this place for magnets http://www.magnetexpert.co.uk/ seems to have a massive selection.

Western Thunderer
The shows are a good place to get a Magnifying Lamp. They had some on the tools stall i got my large £5 cutting mat from. I cant find the carrier bag with their name on.

Steve :cool:

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
Looks like a decent magnifying lamp with an adjustable bracket is going to cost. I will head into town tomorrow & have a look at a small needle craft shop which I am told sell this type of thing, what they have in stock I do not know.

Failing that I wonder what will be available at Kettering?

I don't really want to order online, as I would like to look through the magnifier before parting which what looks like being a big chunk of cash.

Dave

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Looks like a decent magnifying lamp with an adjustable bracket is going to cost. I will head into town tomorrow & have a look at a small needle craft shop which I am told sell this type of thing, what they have in stock I do not know.
This shop is one which I use for Daylight Company products - prompt and efficient service at a price which is often less than many "high-street" names, I have bought daylight lamps and magnifying lenses for the bench and been satisfied each time.

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
OK this is a pretty left field but ... has anyone tried a USB Digi Microscope for this kind of thing? Only useful if you have a screen on your workbench but I'd guess many of us do.

I got a Farnell update today which had these DURATOOL MICROSCOPE, DIGITAL, USB, 5X-500X. Now 500x is OTT but 5x might be usable and they have LED illumination and can record video and do snapshots, but they are ~£90 from Farnell.

However a quick google found them available direct from China from a bunch of sources (eg. here). I'm tempted for $42 inc airmail.