Yate 2014 Exhibition - 1st February

JimG

Western Thunderer
Sodbury Vale Model Railway Club present their 30th Annual Model Railway Exhibition on Saturday 1 February 2014.

The show will again take place at:

St Mary's Church and Church Hall
Church Road
Yate
South Gloucestershire
BS37 5BG

Opening Times: 10.00 am to 4.30 pm

Admisssion: £5 Adults; £4 Concessions & Accompanied Children FREE

St Mary's Church is a short walk from Yate Shopping centre where there is plenty of free parking, but note the four hour limit which is applied using number plate recognition. (Please note that there is only disabled parking adjacent to the church/hall).

Layouts:

Blackrock - 1/32 - Chris Lepper
Codrington - 4mm OO - Sodbury Vale MRC
Dinas Ddu - 8mm Narrow Gauge - Peter Booth
Hedges Hill Cutting - 2mm N - Bentley MRG
Hollow Fosse - 3mm/tt - John Thomas
Hook Basin - 1/25 Scale - Richard Williams
Ivorsiding & Halt - Gn15 Scale - Roger Swan
Poynton Sneer - O Gauge - Marc Smith
Stapley - O Gauge - Phil Haskins
Stow Creek - On30 - Andrew Eastabrook
Tucking Mill - 2mmfs - Jerry Clifford
Wickwar - 2mm N - Farnham MRC

Traders:

Amberly Services
Keith’s Bits + Pieces
Lord and Butler
South Glos Model Warehouse
The Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop
813 Preservation Society
Alan Ward - Artist

Demonstrators and other features:

David Murdoch, who will be building a 7mm scale locomotive from an O Gauge Etched Brass Kit
Peter Kirmond, who will be demonstrating construction of 2mm scale models
Simon Thompson, who will be demonstrating 3d modelling and 3d printing

3mm Society
Yate Heritage Centre

Refreshments available

Further details at http://www.sodburyvalemrc.co.uk/

There are a few members of this august forum in attendance and you might manage to get hold of Laurie Griffin if he is not looking after the car parking, or stewarding. :)

Let's hope we get as good weather as we got last year.

yate2013-006.jpg

Jim.

queensquare

Western Thunderer
We will be there with Tucking Mill - see MRJ 227, as will Simon with 'da shop' on tour.
Laurie will be stewarding although I may rope him in for a stint on TM - he was helping us out with Wenfordbridge last weekend and is rather good with the small stuff!
Come along and say hello, always a good quality and very friendly show.

Jerry

JimG

Western Thunderer
The weather forecast is promising a dry, sunny and cold morning with rain coming in during the afternoon, so possibly as good as we could expect for this time of year.

For people intending driving to the exhibition, just a reminder that the best place for parking is the (free) shopping centre car park which is a short distance away, to the south of the church. Please remember that there is a four hour limit in this car park and they do apply penalties for staying over the limit. There is very little street parking close to the church and the small car park at the church is being reserved for disabled parking and church visitors.

The station is quite a distance from the church so people coming by train will have a fair walk along Station Road. Coming by bus is probably a better bet since the bus station is adjacent to the shopping centre, not far away from the church.

Jim.

Bob

Western Thunderer
Had a lovely visit to the Yate show and bumped into the usual suspects including some WT'ers.
Jerry's Tucking Mill performed well as always with locos running sweeter than anything that small has a right to!:D
Another that caught my eye was "Poynton Sneer", a minimum space 7mm beauty.
Some pics are attached but whilst not of any quality do give you an idea of the layout.

20140201_122956.jpg
20140201_123016.jpg
20140201_123049.jpg

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Poynton-Sneer looks very Marc Smith to me Bob, I don't suppose you happen to know do you?
Nice bloke, very talented :)
Steve

queensquare

Western Thunderer
A cracking day out we really enjoyed ourselves and Tucking Mill behaved pretty well. Lots of interesting people to talk to and inspiring things to see. My only slight problem was that I had pretty much run out of voice by 4.30:)
Highlight for me, amongst many, was a recent well known convert to the dark side producing his first 2FS loco from his pocket for a trip up the North Somerset Light. Running trials were a great success and, following detailing and weathering the loco will leave deepest Somerset for a new home in the Highlands.​
IMG_1099a.jpg
Jerry​

JimG

Western Thunderer
We had a very good day and we were blessed with pretty good weather for the time of year. The morning was sunny and cold and it clouded over in the afternoon, but got a bit warmer. The wind stayed in the west which meant that it didn't blow into the church or hall doors. Last year it was southerly and made the west end of the church a bit cold.

I managed to knock off some pictures but I hadn't managed to dodge the duties roster this year, so this didn't allow me much time to pop off some good shots. I did get some of local interest to this forum, but not as good as I would have liked.

yate2014-002.jpg
"Da shop" under another medieval arch this year, but minus its proprietor. :)

yate2014-001.jpg

SimonT demo-ing etching and 3D printing, having quite a busy day. This was one of his few reflective periods. :)

yate2014-003.jpg

...and a poorly framed picture of Jerry "Queensquare" doing the business with "Tucking Mill", with, I think, Jerry's wife coning into picture left to take over the controls.

I also met up with Richard (Dikitriki) and Linda who had braved the journey from, and back to, the wilds of Shropshire and Laurie Griffin and I had a long chat about 3D printing while doing our car parking duties.

Now off to start planning next year's show. :)

Jim.

queensquare

Western Thunderer
[quote="JimG, post
...and a poorly framed picture of Jerry "Queensquare" doing the business with "Tucking Mill", with, I think, Jerry's wife coning into picture left to take over the controls.

I also met up with Richard (Dikitriki) and Linda who had braved the journey from, and back to, the wilds of Shropshire and Laurie Griffin and I had a long chat about 3D printing while doing our car parking duties.

Now off to start planning next year's show. :)

Jim.[/quote]

Yes that is my wife Kim, obviously not noticed you were about to take a picture!!

I had cake with Richard and Linda at lunchtime (very nice sticky chocolate with a malteeser on top - I know people like to know!)where I got the latest updates on Richard's 'mancave' .

Kim and Linda had a lengthy chat, much of which seemed to centre around respective garden railways they are getting their hubbies to build.

Jerry

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
It was a very friendly show with a wide variety of exhibits - something for everyone. Linda and I enjoyed ourselves thoroughly on what was a much better day out, weatherwise, than we expected. It was nice to talk to so many people I knew, from WT and beyond.

I particularly wanted to see what Simon T was up to with his printed components, and he's really cracked it. They are fine and detailed and usable without any further work.

Jerry's work always amazes me, the track especially which looks so tiny - hell, my point rodding is twice the size. I really do intend to do some 2mm finescale sometime, just to prove to myself that I can (Nigel Hunt's L&Y 2-4-2 when it comes out perhaps?)

The crane on Stow Creek was a work of art, and you have to be a real lunatic to have tidal (real) water across baseboard joints (don't forget the sealant, boys). I mean, do you pump it out when it comes to dismantling, or just use a bucket?

It's rare I can get to this show, as I can't do January, but it was a credit to the organisers, and well worth the effort:thumbs:

Richard

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Gents,
just to add my appreciation for yesterday, an enjoyable and relaxing show where I added to the number of WTers that I now know. Both the small layouts are superb, Tucking Mill brings some summer sun to February and Poynton Sneer is very thought provoking.

Thank you for your kind words Richard and good to see you modelling again, even if the cave is not yet in use.

The weekend was topped off with a running session today on 'Havabeer' with Peter Kirmond and John Aldrich. The new fiddle yard configuration allowed for 30 wagon coal train running. Silly grins all round.

Simon

Gilbert

Western Thunderer
[The crane on Stow Creek was a work of art, and you have to be a real lunatic to have tidal (real) water across baseboard joints (don't forget the sealant, boys). I mean, do you pump it out when it comes to dismantling, or just use a bucket?

It's rare I can get to this show, as I can't do January, but it was a credit to the organisers, and well worth the effort:thumbs:

Richard[/quote]

I'm only one of the Helpers on Slow Leak and certainly don't understand half the "workings" but I can confirm that there is a sophisticated system of pumps which not only allow the layout to drain pre-breakdown but also ensure that the tide comes in and out throughout the day...when it all works...I assume you did not spot the towels in situ around the legs...? Thankfully yesterday saw no hydrological disasters....

I'm not allowed on the crane by the way....

Chris

Bob

Western Thunderer
Yes, it is one of Marc Snith's layouts. He's becoming a regular at Yate and he should be back next year with another of his layouts.
Great layout and as Steve said, a nice bloke.
Highlight for me, amongst many, was a recent well known convert to the dark side producing his first 2FS loco from his pocket for a trip up the North Somerset Light.
I say! :drool: That's tidy. I missed that.

Simon

Flying Squad
Another vote of thanks from me to Jim, Tim and all the other organisers of what was one of the most memorably pleasant events that I have ever attended.

Very pleasant and helpful "staff" throughout, a really rather special venue, varied and interesting exhibits and some top visitors too:thumbs:

The show was opened by the Rev. and the Mayor (sorry I didn't note names) the Reverend was obviously pleased to have us all there and the mayor turned out to be an ex Exeter guard, who had taken the last Class 25 hauled train out of Torrington picking up all the crippled wagons:cool:

A few snaps of the proceedings:

A general view fairly early on, I think that's Tim Venton centre below window and I can see that Jerry is extolling the virtues of 2mm finescale to another hapless victim visitor right of the illuminated pillar:p

Yate3.jpg

Chris Lepper showing details of a tram to two visitors while Dennis runs the service on Black Rock, do I possibly also see Lady Dikitriki in the background?

Yate2.jpg

And how about this team, Dennis and his very nice sister Annette (tea monitor) plus none other than Kevin from the shop. Dennis looks rather beatific owing to the light from the spot lamp whilst Kevin has moved and gone a bit "Exorcist" on us:eek:

Yate1.jpg

My stand was positioned in the central island and I was literally surrounded by good views of layouts in pretty much all directions, from Black Rock and Enio Morricone's layout out front and King John's very nice 7mm layout to the rear - marvellous!

Simon

Reactions: Bob

TimC

Thanks all for your kind and appreciative comments above.

The Rev Ian Wallace is new to the parish this year and he was very impressed with what we had done to the church. It is an excellent venue and doesn't take long to clear or reset prior to and after the show. The church was all ready for the Sunday service by 18.00 on Saturday.

The Mayor of Yate is Wully Perks (Wully is short for Wulstan), he is also a Reader at the church but normally only does funerals (!). While not a SVMRC member, he joins the gang in the pub for a drink every Tuesday night after our weekly club night, he's a real character.

Jim and I with the rest of the exhibition committee are already discussing next years show, though there is also a small matter of an S Gauge layout to magic up for that too.....