Yet more thievery

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
A friend in Loughborough has just sent this to me. Heartbreak as thieves hit Great Central Railway for thousands 7mm Mick of this parish let me know yesterday.

As a (very small) part owner of Boscastle it's thoroughly depressing news. It's even more galling when you recognise that the parts taken have a scrap value of probably under £1000 but will cost us fifty times that to replace without even considering the volunteer and contractor labour which has gone in to preparing them for fitting.

Doubtless the perpetrators will not be caught, and even if they are it'll cost them a few hours community service. I'm not feeling particularly rational about this at the moment but I reckon they should be hung up by their thumbs for a few hours.

Brian

iak63

Western Thunderer
A friend in Loughborough has just sent this to me. Heartbreak as thieves hit Great Central Railway for thousands 7mm Mick of this parish let me know yesterday.

As a (very small) part owner of Boscastle it's thoroughly depressing news. It's even more galling when you recognise that the parts taken have a scrap value of probably under £1000 but will cost us fifty times that to replace without even considering the volunteer and contractor labour which has gone in to preparing them for fitting.

Doubtless the perpetrators will not be caught, and even if they are it'll cost them a few hours community service. I'm not feeling particularly rational about this at the moment but I reckon they should be hung up by their thumbs for a few hours.

Brian

By their thumbs?
You are being gentle sir...

simond

Western Thunderer
Whilst I would be more than happy to help apply the said rubber rings...

More practically, perhaps making it known in the area that a price better than scrap value will be paid, no questions asked, if the goods are returned in good order, might be a worthwhile effort.

I'd also suggest swamping the scrap merchants with photos of the missing stuff. I'm sure most of them are honorable, and might actually help broker a deal.

chigley

Western Thunderer
Whilst I would be more than happy to help apply the said rubber rings...

More practically, perhaps making it known in the area that a price better than scrap value will be paid, no questions asked, if the goods are returned in good order, might be a worthwhile effort.

I'd also suggest swamping the scrap merchants with photos of the missing stuff. I'm sure most of them are honorable, and might actually help broker a deal.
worth a try

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the comments. Just to say that a reward has been offered.

I know such items are offered to other potential users, but I'd like to believe (and I have absolutely no evidence to suggest that my trust is misplaced) that other owners of Bulleid Pacifics would not consider purchasing anything which has the slightest indication of any lack of authentication about it.

As for the scrap merchants, most are honest, as we know, but there are always a few black sheep. Nevertheless there's no harm in letting them know about the theft.

Brian

Neil

Western Thunderer
While it's distressing to think of all the time, money and effort wasted by a mindless act of thievery; I'm troubled by the suggestions of old testament style consequences for the miscreants. I thought we were better than this.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I agree with Neil. My beef is with the law enforcement officers who respond with “well, you have insurance, don’t you?” That is not the point, is it? Insurance costs rise, the police get a raise when nurses don’t and who do you think pays for the increases. Either way we are screwed.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Simon

There’s too much to be depressed about, hadn’t you noticed? We just have to rise above it. That was why Neighbourhood Watch was started but who these days even knows their neighbours?

I am not suggesting WT be the vehicle to change the way the world thinks, but out of acorns oak trees grow. Hence my support for change without torture which did seem to be the norm.

Delete this and other posts if you guys feel it necessary.

Paul

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
While it's distressing to think of all the time, money and effort wasted by a mindless act of thievery; I'm troubled by the suggestions of old testament style consequences for the miscreants. I thought we were better than this.
The reason old testament style punishments are suggested is because more humane methods of todays society don't work, especially with thieving b*****ds. If some of these so called 'mis-guided souls'( wasters ) got some hard punishment they might think twice about doing it again, but all that seems to happen is they get slapped on the wrist and fined, laughable !, and even if they get time it's like a bloody holiday camp.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Here's the latest info from Boscastle.

BTW, my comments about appropriate judgements were made in the heat of the moment. I truly don't know what would be appropriate but certainly the "light touch" isn't working.

theft report 11024_1.jpg
Brian