1:12 scale 1966 Ford GT40 , 1931 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 and 1:18 scale 1967 Ferrari P4

Neil

Western Thunderer
Too late now I suppose, but could you use insulation stripped from orange cable for the plug leads?

Mike W

Western Thunderer
I wonder how accurate the restoration is. I've not had a Ford V8, but my late 60s Chrysler big block V8s had black leads when new, but in the 90s all the replacements including from Chrysler were orange. It may be that your dark grey ones are right for when it raced, if not for as restored.

The exhausts look superb - absolutely right.

Mike

P A D

Western Thunderer
Neil, the insulation from the inner wires in telephone cable might be suitable size wise if there is an orange one. However, being PVC I think it would be too stiff so I'll stick with the grey silicone tube.

Thanks Mike. Looking a period black and white photos the leads are grey. I expect an orange cable would look grey in a monochrome photo so they are no help. I cannot find a period photo in color which shows the leads. There's a colour video on YouTube that shows 3 or 4 of the Fords before the race. In one shot looking from above, the engine cowling of the Ken Miles car is raised and you get a tantalising glimpse of the engine as the camera pans rearward, but the plug leads are not visible. From what I can see, I think the inside 0f the cowling is painted black, so I may go with that. I've also spotted some images that show the upper part of the seats and it would seem that the model seats have 2 or 3 rows too many rivets. As I've painted them now I'm leaving them alone. Meng models will shortly be releasing a 1/12 GT40 (all new moulds) and from what I've seen it may be a better kit. They appear to have got the rivets right and the seats look more realistic than the Trumpe/Magnifier kit. Here's a pre release photo of the Meng version.
Meng GT 40 66 (6).jpg

This is Ken Miles sat in the GT40. No sign of the rivets higher up behind his shoulders.
Ken-Miles-Ford-GT40-Le-Mans.jpg

Rob, as with the BR86, I'm using Halfords plastic primer, but in this case grey not the red.

Cheers,
Peter

Kylestrome

Last summer I was cycling uphill on a twisty road when I was passed from behind by a GT40, being driven quite hard. I don't know whether it was an original or a replica but it made enough noise to give me a bit of a fright! :eek:

Your model is coming along nicely.

David

Last edited:

P A D

Western Thunderer
Progress has slowed a little since the last post as I've been painting a lot of the smaller parts before assembly. Here are the shock absorbers, rear suspension beam and the bendy bar thingy ( anti roll bar perhaps?).
20201130_182039.jpg

The various oil and hydraulic pipe unions are all chrome plated, but the pipes needed painting in clear blue and the nuts in clear red. Here's a small selection.
20201130_184614.jpg

And the cockpit has been sprayed royal blue. Here it is with the seats loosely placed for the photo.
20201130_184509.jpg

Following the prod from Neil, I swapped the grey silicone tube for this orange insulation after finding it in my local model shop, which reopened today. It's thicker than the grey silicone but thinner than the orange, so I'm happy with it. Once I've got the exhaust pipes on I'll put some ties on the plug leads to tidy them up. Being PVC, they are a little stiff but they do look cool!
20201202_153623.jpg

Thanks for the prod on the plug leads Neil.

Cheers,
Peter

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter , i think you're pretty safe painting the block blue . Most of the Ford V8 blocks that i have seen have been blue or just cast iron and we have quite a few here in Australia but then we have a few Chevrolets as well but they are normally an orangey red , I ve had a couple of those .
Cheers Paul

P A D

Western Thunderer
Many thanks Paul.

I'm not a petrol head and know nothing about cars or motor racing, so any comments from those who do are most helpful.

Not had much time of late but managed to move the engine on a bit. Got the exhaust pipes on and started on the oil pipes etc. I wasn't happy with the gearbox colour so repainted it in Tamiya gun metal which matches the restored car. I will add further coat of paint to the exhaust pipes as they look a bit too gaudy to me.
20201206_185815.jpg 20201206_185750.jpg 20201206_185725.jpg 20201206_185656.jpg 20201206_185530.jpg 20201206_185512.jpg 20201206_185445.jpg

Cheers,
Peter

P A D

Western Thunderer
I've not had much time of late but have managed to get all the body work primed up ready for top coating. I was originally going to do the black version of the winning car from 1966 but then changed my mind and will be doing the pale blue Ken Miles car. To facilitate that I've re primed all the body parts in white. I'll leave them for a few days and then rub down with some very fine Emery before top coating. I'm going to use the Tamiya solvent based lacquer paints, which should perform more like cellulose in terms of levelling, as I'm not overly impressed with the acrylics.
20201223_163635.jpg

This gives an idea of the size of the model while is was still in primer grey.
20201217_203809.jpg

The kit does not include a spare wheel, which was compulsory at Lemans and the rules stipulated that at every pit stop, the spare had to be taken out and placed on the ground before being put back. Archaic! I've managed to source a resin spare and here this placed for photos before anc after priming.
20201217_185753.jpg

20201217_190501.jpg

This shows the operating door hinges which are screwed in place with self tapers.
20201216_165909.jpg

The door handles are just half relief mouldings on the inner panels, so I've opened the up, thinned them down and racked the aperture so there is now a gap. I'm not sure if this was worth the effort, but what the hell.
20201217_160910.jpg

The end of the hinge locates into a slot and is then retained with a screw. I should have filled those ejector pin marks but the doors are removable so I can do that any time.
20201217_204058.jpg
Until I've got all the exterior painting done I won't be adding the engine or the rear or front suspension so it's on hold for a bit. In the meantime I've also got this.
20201224_124051.jpg
It's from the 1930s and the 4 seater variant also raced and won at Lemans. Compared to the Ford it's a far more elegant machine and my intention is to finish it as per the box art. I almost bought the grand prix " Monza" version before I decided on the Ford GT, but I wanted the roadster and couldn't be bothered to scratch build the extra parts required, including the spare wheel. This has just been released and I managed to pick it up at a very good price on Ebay. There's an incredible number of photos on the internet of various preserved examples which is useful.

Cheers,
Peter

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
It's from the 1930s and the 4 seater variant also raced and won at Lemans. Compared to the Ford it's a far more elegant machine....
Pardon?

Is there LeMans racer which is more sensuous, more elegant or more head turning than a Ford GT40? Well, yes - in my opinion - and that is another Ford GT from 2016 (especially when seen late at night whilst negotiating the esses between Dunlop and Tertre).

P A D

Western Thunderer
Sorry gents, but in terms of the aesthetics the Ferrari 330 P4 has got to be the sexiest most beautiful car of all time. It may have lost the race to the Ford GTs at Lemans in 66, but in looks the P4 is the swan and the GT40, the ugly duckling.

Unfortunately the only readily available 1/12 kit for a P4 costs over 600 quid! Made in Japan by MFH, it's a superb kit and as we all know top quality doesn't come cheap.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Last edited:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Season's Greetings Peter,

I've really enjoyed your slightly off-piste wanderings this year, and am looking forward to see what you do next year.

Cheers,

Richard

Allen M

Western Thunderer
When it come to good looking sporty cars it has, for me, to be the Jaguar XK150 followed it's older sisters the XK 140 & original XK120. Bill Lions and his team go the styling right long before others.
The other like is the 'blown' Bentley from the 1930s, a massive brut of a thing. It made up in size what it lacked in elegance. There used to be one regularly round Kidderminster when I was in my early teens which I think belonged to a teacher at the local grammar school.
If I was rolling in money I would take an XK and do the very discreet updates like an alternator and improved brakes to make it totally usable in modern traffic. But can only dream!:(
Regards
Allen Morgan

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Driving home from work one summer afternoon I am going through Avebury. As I go around the sharp 90 at the Red Lion there is a 4 1/2Litre Bently going the other way. It is towing a trailer. On the trailer there is a blue and yellow ERA *. My whoop of delight was acknowledged by the gent driving the Bentley.

Mr Bugatti can talk. Ever seen a Royale? I had the misfortune to keep on visiting Ashton Keynes Engineering as they built the replica for Tom Wheatcroft. The elephant radiator cap was very appropriate.

Simon
* For those who don't know, the ERA was Prince Bira's car, raced when Formula 1 was interesting.