1:32 Ruston 48ds kit

David Hall

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

Does anybody know the whereabouts and/or status of the Ruston 48ds kit which was originally developed by John Dale? Is this still available anywhere or has it fallen into a small black hole?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
David

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
David, the kit is with John Taylor of Uncommon Kits - 01422 839538. I phoned him about one a few months ago, after seeing the price realised for one on ebay, but no sign of him getting around to releasing it. Best of luck.

p.s. I have a copy of your booklet on the 48 and 88, cheers. I did wonder if Mike Edge would be amenable to blowing his artwork up to 1/32.

Last edited:

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
If someone can point me in the direction of a good set of drawings I could have a go at 3d printing one. My Dad would like on for his new G1 garden railway.
Marc

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
If someone can point me in the direction of a good set of drawings I could have a go at 3d printing one. My Dad would like on for his new G1 garden railway.
Marc
Marc, one readily available in this issue of RM :

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Many thanks for the tip and Dave has PMed me a copy. How urgently to people want it? I was going to do a GER tram loco in G1 this year but I might be able to have something by October.
Marc

David Hall

Western Thunderer
David, the kit is with John Taylor of Uncommon Kits - 01422 839538. I phoned him about one a few months ago, after seeing the price realised for one on ebay, but no sign of him getting around to releasing it. Best of luck.

p.s. I have a copy of your booklet on the 48 and 88, cheers. I did wonder if Mike Edge would be amenable to blowing his artwork up to 1/32.

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your reply and for the update. That's a shame, it sounds like it is unlikely that the kit will appear at any point soon. I might give John Taylor a ring, but doesn't sound promising.

I was thinking something similar with regard to Mike Edge. I have one of his 48ds in 7mm scale. It's a nice kit.

Thanks again,
David

PS - unfortunately I'm not THE David Hall. I simply a namesake of the far more knowledgeable author of that wonderful little book. I have a copy too and find it a wonderful resource. I love Ruston locos but am certainly not the oracle that 'the' Dave Hall is. Sorry for the confusion.

Marc

Many thanks for the tip and Dave has PMed me a copy. How urgently to people want it? I was going to do a GER tram loco in G1 this year but I might be able to have something by October.
Marc

That's interesting to hear Marc. I'd certainly be interested if you were to produce a 3d print. I think you may have quite a few takers in these parts!

Cheers,
David

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
For the Tram loco I was going to use 20thou N?S with mashined spacers I think something of the same would work. One axle fixed, with the drive, and the other with vertical movment in the way of slots.

Marc

David Hall

Western Thunderer
For the Tram loco I was going to use 20thou N?S with mashined spacers I think something of the same would work. One axle fixed, with the drive, and the other with vertical movment in the way of slots.

Marc

Very interesting Marc. I'll drop you a PM.

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Marc, one readily available in this issue of RM :

Digital copy available at Railway Modeller - August 2019

It's a 4mm scale left-hand elevation plus front elevation, which photos would augment.

If a Wagon & Carriage Co kit comes up, it's serviceable but not as good as John Dale's.
Incidentally, John did some G3 ones too - they were really something to behold.​
Finally, Dave Walker of Cromford Models radio-controlled his G1 48DS by discreetly raising the cab floor enough to make room for the trickery.

David 1/2d

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer

It's a 4mm scale left-hand elevation plus front elevation, which photos would augment.

If a Wagon & Carriage Co kit comes up, it's serviceable but not as good as John Dale's.
Incidentally, John did some G3 ones too - they were really something to behold.​
Finally, Dave Walker of Cromford Models radio-controlled his G1 48DS by discreetly raising the cab floor enough to make room for the trickery.

David 1/2d
Hi David. The Bob Phelps drawing in RM is to 7mm scale - there is a similar drawing in David R Hall's book on the 48 and 88DS locos, showing the enclosed cab, and one of the open cab from the 1947 brochure in Eric S Tonks' book. The RM one is to my mind the easiest to obtain, for Marc's purposes. Slaters handily do the wheels in 7mm, G1 and G3. It's a shame that John Dale's kit isn't on the market.

John D

Western Thunderer

David 1/2d
I didn't do any in G3.....that was Richard Thompson....'Arty' of this parish.

John

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
The printer's build plate is pritty big and I can fit a 16ft long wagon on it in G3 so a G3 one is not out of the question but I will only know if it will fit once I have drawn it out.
Marc

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Did you book a stand for Gauge 1 North, Marc?

Bakewell as usual, on Saturday 15 July - and doubling as G1MRA's Spring Meeting (because the spring venue ceased to be available).

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
No I missed that one. I now have a prior engagement on that date that I can't get out of. I'm hoping to have a pritty good G1 range ready as full kits by the time the ALSRM show comes round next year. And hopeful of have in some kits available by September at GuildEx and definitely by the Guildford 7mm show in December. It's all down the speed that my etchers can get things turned around. They are a bit slow at the moment.
Marc

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
I appreciate the issues, Marc :)

Are you free for the G1MRA AGM and Trade Show on Saturday 30 September at Woking Leisure Centre?

(Whatever you can manage, you're welcome to some Trade News space, as are all G1 suppliers - though not all at once of course).