lancer1027

Western Thunderer
i agree with Cynric, looks a beast of a machine.
I dont understand how UK prices are so high,when you can get US stuff ready to run at a fraction of the price :scratch: :headbang: Just wish the prices of UK stuff would fall to a similar price of the US. Mmmm wont hold my breath though.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan :wave:
Congratulations on your latest bargain :D .... & what a bargain :shock:

For the terminally thick (me) :laugh: , can I ask a few questions:

What does it work out at in sterling ?,
Is it straight forward to buy stuff from the US (how do you go about it) ?
Do you always buy from US e -bay & are there other safe alternatives ?
Do they run on UK finescale standard track ? & if not are the back to back's adjustable to do so ?

Sorry for all the questions Jordan :oops: , but I think this could throws up lots of possibility's for cash strapped UK modellers (me again) :laugh: :)

Cheers Phill :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Jordan said:
The only thing I'd say if you're considering using the chassis for UK locos is that for most Classes there are no really close matches in terms of wheelbase, axle spacing etc. I did have a list of comparitive dimensions somewhere for HO scale- I'll have to try and dig it out.
Hi Jordan :wave:
You've read my mind :laugh: ... that list would be useful :thumbs:
Phill :thumbs:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan,

would also help if you could state the wheel diameters used on the HO 'trucks' if this is available.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan,

I have been through the Colin Marsden 'Mainline diesel' book and produced a comparison chart - ignoring pony trucks and the like.

[attachment=0:3pog9w4q]Top.jpg[/attachment:3pog9w4q]

which shows just how unco-operative the designers have been across the pond! The entries in the 'American equivalent' column are the closest that I can see - so as you pointed out, little scope for kit bashing - even if the wheel diameters were to tie up.

regards

Mike

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 29

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I don't see any likely candidates on those list, but thanks for looking guys ;) :thumbs: .............Oh well back to the drawing board

Phill :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Seen a picture in july's Railway magazine of Canadian National SD60F. ???? :? :? hauling 8 66's in Euro Cargo Rail livery. I did'nt realise just how BIG BIG BIG the Dark side loco's were. :lol: Really puts our poxy loco's too shame. Seeing as the 66 is our most powerful loco.

Rob :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Jordan wrote..........and *bonus* - SWMBO is at work all day...

but beware the 'Dark side' automatic large parcel security cam that you still haven't seen :wave:

regards

Mike

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
DABRTASS ??? :scratch: :lol: But on a more serious note Jordan ?41 is rediculous :headbang: . It almost makes you feel like saying B*"**"*S to Inporting stuff. Just hope you enjoy your purchase and can overlook that cost :shock:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
My sympathies Jordan.

Best planned lays of mice and men etc...

I have a mate who lives on his own, out at work during the day. He always used to have his O scale kits delivered here, and there was a time when he inherited a bit of money when he was like a kid in a candy store. Can you imagine the conversations as my wife signed for another big box...'it's not mine dear, it's for Steve, honest...'. I mean, how lame does that sound? I think she was only convinced when guitars started turning up.

Richard

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Dikitriki said:
My sympathies Jordan.

Best planned lays of mice and men etc...

I have a mate who lives on his own, out at work during the day. He always used to have his O scale kits delivered here, and there was a time when he inherited a bit of money when he was like a kid in a candy store. Can you imagine the conversations as my wife signed for another big box...'it's not mine dear, it's for Steve, honest...'. I mean, how lame does that sound? I think she was only convinced when guitars started turning up.

Richard
Been in the same situation and guess what my mates name is STEVE :scratch: And my wife was'nt convinced that they were his and he only does it now while hes on his holibobs :rolleyes:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Dikitriki said:
Well, it's now past 7.30pm, and I'm beginning to get worried for Jordan's health.......
Now 22.09 and still no sign of Jordan :eek: Do we start to panic yet :scratch:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan,

two excellent statements - one of pure fiction the other totally unbelievable fact - and of true to form, you leave it to us the reader, to sort out which is which ;) ;) ;)

I cannot think of too many writers who are so into this hobby of ours as you are - please keep up the installments, don't forget, Dickens started out by having his stories published in weekly instalments :D

Glad all went well, as it's a long trip just to visit hospital in Dudley from the wilds of the Wirral - but then again, had you still been 'inside' at the beginning of September, I could have just fitted it in around the Telford trip :thumbs:

Keep the postings coming

regards

Mike