A field railway

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Great stuff! I definitely can see the inspiration you've found in this kind of railway and you've captured it brilliantly.

As mentioned previously, this is the kind of thing that's got me somewhat hooked at the moment:
skip to 02:50 on the last one to avoid the boring bits.

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
Pugsley, I grew up in Bundaberg, central-coastal Queensland, with a lot of 2' gauge sugarcane traffic... Fantastic stuff. I might yet rescue Dad's Roco Minitrains stash and put it to work, I have a few turnouts sitting idly in the bits box........

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Go for it! I'm going to make it over to see it in the flesh one day. It's the next thing on my 'must see' list, after going to the US last year for a spot of street running in La Grange, KY.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Brilliant stuff! If I could achieve half as convincing when I get to build my layout if be very happy!

JB.

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Plenty of interest, Simon, in such a small space. I hadn't noticed the disused mine entrance until you pointed it out. I guess I was distracted by those overgrown tracks, trying to see how far along them I could look.

Great work!

Jonte

Thanks again Jonte!

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
I've added this photo as it shows the distorted nature of the mainline on my layout; this happens in reality because field railway track is very lightly laid, more often than not without ballast, relying on turf/grass to hold it in place. Many field railways, especially transporting peat, were/are intensively worked and so over time the swaying wagons distort and shift the track. The layout is actually built on two levels; the curve in the foreground is descending an incline into the lignite mine. The latter is the hidden area of the layout and can accommodate a train of about 12 wagons and a loco. The tunnel walls are fully detailed for the first part of it.Field R4.jpg

Last edited:

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Shunting lignite wagons (and ex peat wagons). The green skip wagons are new to the mining company and will receive some light weathering in due course. The Ns2f shunter will get a driver at some stage. Some of the tree trunks still need bits of flash removing (you always think you've removed them all until seen in a photo) and all will be toned down and detailed when I can rustle up the enthusiasm!Field R7.jpg

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
This is what I was working on over the weekend. A typical feldbahn temporary track ramp They are used instead of a point in circumstances where it would be too slow/difficult/expensive to lay one. Peat railways adopted this practice, often because the ground was too wet and boggy for a point to be laid. However, temporary points are sometimes laid in this fashion over the top of existing track. The ramp here rises up off the existing track and then drops down so that the continuing track is at the same level as the fixed line to the left. My temporary track, made from code 75 bullhead rail and metal strip underneath for the magnets, will be used as a headshunt and loco stabling area. It's semi permanent but will be removed at some stage and re grassed over, like the real thing. Not an easy thing to make or set up, but it does work and it's fascinating to watch one of the locos negotiating it. I haven't painted the track yet or added vegetation and details, but this will happen soon. Ramp1.jpg