A grand day out

Simon

Flying Squad
We all cycled along the K&A canal this afternoon to a gathering of friends at the Late Tony Wells' garden line courtesy of his wife Rosemary.

Harry and I had joined in for a major weeding and maintenance session earlier in the year and although Tony left us three years ago the line is now pretty much all working.

It is set in the bottom of the valley next to its "big brother", in this picture you can just see the garden line below the passing Class 66.

Attachments

• Clav0.jpg
    Clav0.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Clav1.jpg
    Clav1.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Clav2.jpg
    Clav2.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Clav4.jpg
    Clav4.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Clav5.jpg
    Clav5.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Clav3.jpg
    Clav3.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 115

28ten

Guv'nor
I have seen the Black 5 and I couldnt get over how big it is :eek: the last shot is nice a bit of sepia and distressing would complete the Victorian feel.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
I have seen the Black 5 and I couldn't get over how big it is :eek: the last shot is nice a bit of sepia and distressing would complete the Victorian feel.
I had a look at the Brassworks or Tower ? ..........whichever it was G1 Black 5 along side the O gauge version at one of the ALSRM shows a couple of years ago :shock: :drool: & the GI version was only about ?150 dearer...........made me think about moving up a scale, but I'm over it now :laugh:

Nice garden line Simon, it reminds me of mine with the mainline at the bottom of the garden. It's nice to see it back in action, I'm sure your friend would have liked that :D

Phill :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Sounds like you all had a very enjoyable day :thumbs: Thanks for posting the pics they are great.
Its always nice to see other garden railways :thumbs: I'm not really a steam fan , but i think i have seen a G1 scale black 5 at Shepshed earlier this year. Its huge!! :eek: But a nice loco :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

S

Simon Dunkley

Nice photos, Simon.

lancer1027 said:
I'm not really a steam fan , but i think i have seen a G1 scale black 5 at Shepshed earlier this year. Its huge!!
The more scary thing is that you soon get used to it, and think 0 gauge is a bit small...

hoppy504

Western Thunderer
I realy like the photograph of the Accucraft Black Five, which brings me to a question.
Has anyone seen one of these next to a Brassworks version. When I look at the photos of the Accucraft model something looks slightly out of proportion,has anyone noticed this or do I need new glasses?.
Regarding the size of gauge 1 steam check out the Accucraft A3, it makes the Black 5 appear small.

John.

S

Simon Dunkley

hoppy504 said:
Regarding the size of gauge 1 steam check out the Accucraft A3, it makes the Black 5 appear small.
Nah, for that you want something like an Aster Allegheny :shock:
Alle_full_viewx400.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
Thanks for all your comments :)

Black 5-wise, I have seen both the Accucraft and the other one together and remember thinking at the time that they both looked very Black 5-ish. As I wasn't ever considering the possibility of owning one, I didn't really pay that much attention.

I have uploaded a couple of technically indifferent and extremely short video clips to you tube which will hopefully amuse :D

Right, I'm off to the garden, just need a spot of toast first I think....

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
The Lion steam engine (an Aster) ansd the garish blue 2-4-0 and attached wagons.

Couldn't take much as we went on our bikes.

This loco is a much carved about "Bachmann Big Hauler" although there isn't much original left any more :D

Simon