7mm A Lincolnshire conceit

DougT

Western Thunderer
After much thought and consideration following some positive comments by @Dan Randall, @Joe's Garage and @jamest I’m going to dip my toe in the world of layout threads.

Imagine if you will, in some distant alternative universe very closely alike our own, that the following had occurred;
  • The Ambergate Yard branch of the Ambergate, Nottingham and Boston and Eastern Junction Railway had flourished upon opening…
  • That a large rail connected network of factories and depots had grown up in the Earlsfield area of Grantham…
  • That the area had grown through the middle part of the 20th century to the extent that by the early 1980’s it had sufficient traffic to become a part of the Speedlink wagon network of British Rail…
  • That instead of closing in 1852 after an illustrious two years, Grantham Ambergate Yard station had stayed open and eventually been renamed Dysart Lane (or maybe Grantham Old Wharf…tbc) in order to avoid confusion with its Derbyshire namesake…
  • That BR, in its infinite wisdom and somewhat ahead of its time, had opened in Grantham a national supply centre for ancillary stores (stationary, uniforms, green and red pens, bowler hats, form 1s etc) that despatched regular trains to each of the regions (maybe even the Western, after begrudgingly having tried to go its own way and ending up down a technological backwater)…
  • That during the opening phase of Doncaster PSB re-signalling, the branch had been re-signalled as a fringe to the PSB…
  • And that by some strange quirk of fate the whole thing was capable of being modelled at 7mm to the foot in an area only 9ft6in by 2ft…
OK, that’s quite a conceit but it works for me!

So this is my combined layout build and workbench thread that I hope to keep updating reasonably regularly as the mojo comes and goes and as progress is made towards that perpetual goal of finishing a layout. Oh, and because one of my core characteristics is to never ever do anything the easy way, it’s Scale 7 (you can blame @S7BcSR for that, I do.)

This was actually a pre-lockdown endeavour, started a few months beforehand but with the baseboards and track concept mainly completed by early 2021. Initially it was to be a diorama but after some reworking of Ikea furniture I was able to generate the space to add a fiddle yard.
IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg

As can be seen many were the half-finished Parkside and Slaters wagons adorning the bare baseboards being marshalled in an attempt to develop the track concept. Initially the idea was to have the single lead and two dead-end sidings, but on changing the fiddle yard concept it gave the opportunity to re-arrange the bridge and provide a single track leading away down to the many and varied businesses that sprang up in the area.

IMG_1433.jpeg

Once the trackwork had been purchased and built, and a start made on the single car platform/station there was a short hiatus in proceedings for about 2 years as a result of my Mojo up and leaving in quite a spectacular way and it is only in the last few months that things have got moving again. I’d very half heartedly collected things for the layout in that period, mainly rolling stock, which I’m glad I did as it gives me more to go at now and more impetus to keep at it.

IMG_1434.jpeg

IMG_1435.jpeg
For a layout set in the late 70’s to mid 80’s (you can probably see there’s been a shift in the era towards one I can just about remember) there are a few interlopers to be seen, but nothing that renumbering, repaint or weathering can’t sort out!

So there it is, the aim is to update it moderately regularly as layout and rolling stock are built and hopefully, to exploit the hive mind of this august forum to solve problems when they occur which assuredly they will.

Last edited:

DougT

Western Thunderer
True enough Adrian, although if I’d gone FS it might have been finished by now…might!

As an antidote to the dullest (and most disappointing) game of the rugby World Cup I decided to make some poster frames, two today and one I finished earlier. Just need to paint them and find, resize and print a period BR poster (avoiding those with ‘he who shall not be named’ on them…tricky for this era!)IMG_9317.jpeg

DougT

Western Thunderer
Cheers Dave, I quite fancy using the ‘see a friend…’ poster and have found a few others mainly on Pinterest. The search at the moment is for a suitable line of route type timetable poster, oddly they don’t seem very collectible to the wider public.

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I'm not sure the last one was effective - I've never seen anyone travelling on a train in their pyjamas.

Some other options here in a Guardian article:

Poster 2.jpgPoster 3.jpgPoster 4.jpegTravel poster.png

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Cheers Dave, I quite fancy using the ‘see a friend…’ poster and have found a few others mainly on Pinterest. The search at the moment is for a suitable line of route type timetable poster, oddly they don’t seem very collectible to the wider public.

You'll be struggling to find poster route maps as they mostly came in with the Swallow Tail re-branding of the Inter-City.

However I have mananged to find a 1980 Inter-city route poster and poster route maps certainly existed for local PTEs - 1977 West Yorkshire MetroLink.

Overgtound 1980.jpg WY metro.jpg

A 1960s Motorail of which there would have been 1970/80 equivalents. And a 1970s-1980 Overground by Night - this cannot be any later than 31st October 1980 as the Night Ferry was withdrawn on that date.

Motorail map 1960s.jpg Overground by night 1970s.jpg

Last edited:

DougT

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave.

The solution I arrived at, via the excellent railcar.co.uk website, was to screenshot into Powerpoint the 1980/81 Pay Train booklet for the Grantham to Nottingham line, and through various copies, crops, resizes and additions was able to knock up this poster which now includes the lightly used, entirely fictional, but still very much part of the network branch down to Dystart Lane!

Screenshot 2023-09-30 124154.png
Once reduced to 7mm scale there’s not a lot of detail to be read, but at least the line of route addition is visible.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Nice one Doug.

I saw the Paytrain poster in your post and immediately though of Leeds-Harrogate-York having travelled on this in the mid to late 1970s when vistiting may grandparents in Harrogate with the family.

At the end of the day it's about making details like this instantly recognisable and adding to the scene.

jamest

Hi,
Great to see you have started a layout thread, really looking forward to following your progress.
I’m a bit biased but I think this is a great size of layout for O gauge….no job is too big and you can concentrate on details and flit between jobs as your mood takes you. I suppose the same is true in all gauges for micro layouts.

All the best,
James

DougT

Western Thunderer
Hi,
Great to see you have started a layout thread, really looking forward to following your progress.
I’m a bit biased but I think this is a great size of layout for O gauge….no job is too big and you can concentrate on details and flit between jobs as your mood takes you. I suppose the same is true in all gauges for micro layouts.

All the best,
James
Thanks James.
I agree, the temptation to build bigger and bigger in O is always there (I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have in my head what an extension at each end would look like!) because of the realism achievable, but this is manageable for the space and time I have and enough to achieve the look and feel I want.

Cheers

Doug

DougT

Western Thunderer
A satisfying couple of days first drawing up (with the obligatory deliberate mistake) and then commencing build on a pastiche of a BR Eastern Region 1970’s gatebox/small signalbox. In this case a hybrid of Barnby Level Crossing and Offord Level Crossing boxes, with the form of the former and the size of the later. This is probably the easy bit done, next are Windows and interiors (urghhh).IMG_9320.jpegIMG_9322.jpeg

google street view image of Offord Crossing Box.
IMG_1438.png

DougT

Western Thunderer
Good progress this evening with the top half of the ‘box taking shape including some in-build design changes compared to the drawings. Fortunately as the designer and builder are one and same there’s no contract variation penalties to pay!

Even with a fictitious signal box that’s of my own determined dimensions I’ve had to move it’s location onto what was going to be a p/way and S&T yard (in my parallel universe there is already alignment of disciplines…). The problem being the depth of the area between the running line and back of the board where it was intended to go resulted in scale clearance to rolling stock of about 3ft. So instead it’s going to be a feature of the front of the layout which actually gives some opportunity to model the ancillaries of an NX panel signal box such as trunking, location cases etc which there wouldn't have been room for on the other side of the layout

IMG_9329.jpeg

Last edited:

DougT

Western Thunderer
By way of a short update, attention turned from building the signalbox to having a crack at weathering an 08. Whilst I have weathered wagon kits by way of brushing/powder this is my first attempt at painting and weathering an RTR loco using a spray brush. It’s not finished yet, cab doors and interior to do plus add some oil and rust stains but progress seems ok so far.

IMG_9390.jpegIMG_9388.jpeg

Last edited:

DougT

Western Thunderer
After the fun with the 08, which is now fully finished with handrails and cab interior refitted, attention has turned back to the layout itself.

The end of the layout is a board about 18in x 24in which I’m building first as a test bed to practice techniques on; this being my first foray into building a layout so everything is new and trial and error! What’s nice is that I can remove the board and put it on the desk to work at, something that won’t be possible with the main board when it’s turn comes.

Having spent more than a few hours over the years contemplating the track bed in platform 3 at Grantham whilst waiting for the train to work, I’ve come to the conclusion that rails and chairs are rarely rusty but instead are dirty, that sleepers are often not brown and that ballast is a multitude of different colours and that the individual stones are smaller than the minds eye would have you believe. What I’m aiming for, or at least using as inspiration is this.
IMG_9285.jpeg

So far progress has been a first pass of trying to replicate the lighter colours and variation in the sleepers, including some hints of green for moss/lichen, and an attempt at matching ballast colour. If I’m being critical I need a tad more salmon colour in the ballast, but so far so reasonably ok. The Halfords Camo Brown does make an excellent base to work on.

IMG_1482.jpeg
Once the base ballast is in I can then start adding fines into the 4 foot as well as the inevitably oily patches, a further attempt at lightening up some of the sleepers and then a bit of track dirt weathering just to take away that new ballast look.

The buffers have been painted based upon the colours of the actual buffer stops in platform 3 and were painted and weathered at the same time using a faded red and weathered black colours intermingled with MIG rust washes.

Last edited:

DougT

Western Thunderer
Not a criticism of your modelling Doug but an other example of the poor maintenance standards now rife on our railways.
Oh, I don't know, despite the yellow line on the platform (which always amuses me) its a 10mph piece of track to buffer stops used by about 10 services a day. It's examined regularly and maintained according to its track category, you can see the spot re-sleepering that was done a few years ago by the darker sleepers, and there's no obvious visible defects (such as missing keys, split sleepers, sunken chairs, missing bolts, damaged railhead etc). I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that last time it was relaid was when Grantham was remodelled/resignalled in the late 1970's.

Last edited: