7mm All is not quiet on The Western Front ...........

John TAYLOR

Western Thunderer
I have just completed a long desired goal of adding DCC sound to my 7mm loco stud, having discovered that the modern motors we now use have such low ampage, that it is possible to use an appropriate HO/OO sound decoder rather than the more expensive and uneccessary high ampage products.
All of my current stock have either Mashima, Buhler, or Maxon motors, I`m not sure what`s in my Lionheart Pannier as I hav`nt added a decoder ti it yet. Non of them drew more than 0.3 amps running and no more than 0.8amps at stall, including my heavy Railcar and Large Metro.
I have been impressed with Zimo decoders and sugar cube speakers in the past , having fitted them to all my 4mm stock and I settled on their MX645 decoder
9.JPG
which is rated at 1.2amps min and 2.5amps max and can cope with up to 3W in the sound department, all of which is more than adequate. I used 2W bass reflex speakers which are housed in all plastic baffle boxes as a precaution against shorting out on all metal locos.
John Gymer at Youchoos produces real GWR sounds recorded from todays preserved fleet, including the preserved AEC Railcar No 22, and supplies Zimo products.

First on the operating bench was the large Prairie tank.........
13.JPG
One of the first 7mm kits I made, she needed some time spent on cancelling out any suspect areas of shorting out between chassis and body. Fired up the decoder and away she went, hissing , clanking and puffing. Zimo decoders facilitate sound reduction with most if not all individual sound files as well as the total volume etc. I hav`nt quite fine tuned her precisely yet

Next had to be the Railcar.....
12.JPG

And away she went.............

Attachments

• DSC02148.JPG
    DSC02148.JPG
    487.9 KB · Views: 1

rusty

I have just completed a long desired goal of adding DCC sound to my 7mm loco stud, having discovered that the modern motors we now use have such low ampage, that it is possible to use an appropriate HO/OO sound decoder rather than the more expensive and uneccessary high ampage products.
All of my current stock have either Mashima, Buhler, or Maxon motors, I`m not sure what`s in my Lionheart Pannier as I hav`nt added a decoder ti it yet. Non of them drew more than 0.3 amps running and no more than 0.8amps at stall, including my heavy Railcar and Large Metro.
I have been impressed with Zimo decoders and sugar cube speakers in the past , having fitted them to all my 4mm stock and I settled on their MX645 decoder
View attachment 45236
which is rated at 1.2amps min and 2.5amps max and can cope with up to 3W in the sound department, all of which is more than adequate. I used 2W bass reflex speakers which are housed in all plastic baffle boxes as a precaution against shorting out on all metal locos.
John Gymer at Youchoos produces real GWR sounds recorded from todays preserved fleet, including the preserved AEC Railcar No 22, and supplies Zimo products.

First on the operating bench was the large Prairie tank.........
View attachment 45238
One of the first 7mm kits I made, she needed some time spent on cancelling out any suspect areas of shorting out between chassis and body. Fired up the decoder and away she went, hissing , clanking and puffing. Zimo decoders facilitate sound reduction with most if not all individual sound files as well as the total volume etc. I hav`nt quite fine tuned her precisely yet

Next had to be the Railcar.....
View attachment 45239

And away she went.............

View attachment 45247

Next was a very heavy white metal large metro. Obviously no preserved example exists so a recorded GWR Pannier seems to fit the bill.....

John
Interested to hear the railcar as I have a Youchoos Zimo 645 and a 7mm model of W22W awaiting a fitting. Have fitted several 645s to steam locos with Maxon, Mashima and Escap motors all of which work well. I see you have used a capacitor - I can recommend the smaller of the Youchoos or Zimo 'super capacitors' which are not too large and give an excellent 'stay alive' capability of some three seconds that is all I need at a little extra cost.

I have used the pannier loaded chip but found this to be a bit light on the chuff sounds - in comparison the more recent 56xx chip is great. Lionheart use a Zimo 644, I believe, for sound fitted locos but this is the same size (I think) as the 645 so adding this should not be a problem.

What is the source of your early GW railcar? My Great Malvern layout project will make use of my later 'razor edged' GW unit but I hope to build an early unit Nos5 or 6 or 7 which were more frequent visitors to the area.
Rusty (Julian Russell)

John TAYLOR

Western Thunderer
Thanks Julian
Yes, I found the chuffs on the Youchoose Pannier a bit quiet but improved things by adjusting them on CV`s 275 and 276.
although having heard the Pannier on Lionheart`s website I prefer the one I`ve got.

As for my `flying banana`..... Its based on a 1980`s Gataneal kit, no longer available but does come up on ebay.
DSC01047.JPG

It is a sod to build but if you`ve got the patience it can make a reasonable model. I`m surprised that Pete Waterman has produced a kit
DSC01218.JPG