1/32 An actual start!

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
So I realise it's been a while since I've updated any of my posting.
I had planned quite some time ago a little 3d printed layout but for one reason or another this never materialised. Fast forward how ever long it's been and we've another child to entertain, still tons to sort to get the house happy and functional as we have WAY TOO MUCH "Stuff". That added with a change of Job (sadly loosing access to a lot of really useful toys...).

A few weeks ago I was willing to for the first time set up a very very basic loop for Daughter Scarlett who's now surpassed the 3rd year anniversary of life... At an age I feel comfortable showing her my little 3d printed Gmiender and a few wagons patrolling that loop.
The running although short was a roaring success that had her asking me to put it out again a few times now. This spurred me to re-visit a running board that can be put away for ease of storage and not loosing precious balcony space that's already been filled with bicycles and Scarlett's rather spectacular shed/playhouse, One that I'm Jealous of as it's bigger than I have!
The starting spur.jpg
The running day in question where Scarlett helped me laiden some of the wagons. Notice the shed on Yonder horizon!
Works train.jpg
The works train made a quick loop around before all was tidied away. This track happened to be from a couple of christmas tree kits that make a god awful racket and whizz round at warp speed. (quickly lost the speaker and eventually the batteries ran out too!)

Jumping forward to late last week, early this one I noticed we had an offcut of plywood used for a work related project I started that was sat unusable for the projects at work so it made it's way home to be tested. a few ideas rattled in my head for the dimensions I had to work with (aprox 600mm x 1250mm). Soon I was away with a loop idea with a passing loop, sidings and the use of my little turntable. Buffer blocks will be cast around with the balast eventually but able to be lifted off to allow extensionss to be added and removal to prevent damage when stored away!
wide shot of board.jpg
Last night I glued a couple of sections of the wonderful Locoremote freeware file provided track I had in a box collecting dust!
Should give plenty of space to play...
Shunt loop and siding1.jpg
yet more fettling.jpg
I would say it's still very early days for progress as I'll probably have to do late evening fettling or weekends due to little fingers being present during daylight hours!
I may have to concider shorterning the wheelbase on my 3d printed Gmiender for the radius of the curves but we will see once the basics have been fixed down.

Tom.

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Lovely stuff Tom!

You are well and truly on the slippery slope now...;)

View attachment 173233

Pete.
I’d say those points are bigger than my whole layout. I have some potential extra capabilities to learn/fettle to get both new skills and give myself access to one of my old toys to come and help aid making this all possible! (One new toy is sat at my desk at work acquired earlier this week. But using it I can make some more rolling stock, features and shortern wheelbases if my current stock will not fit round the tight radius curves!

Next time we’re over I’ll bring what I’ve got so far so you can see it!

Tom

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
A small amount of progress was made today on the layout. With a late start today I had a little time to fix down a little more track and test the loop with my Gmeinder!
63F4629A-DAA6-48CA-9531-87F16A32F6CC.jpeg
With most of the track fixed to the board I was fairly happy with it, though quickly spotted one thing that will need addressing…
B33CDA3C-D2B5-4DA7-8D27-08E8A52E2F02.jpeg
This point set in question has one lever that fouls the passing trains!
A86B62C5-4F74-4E56-90F5-00B8709F7233.jpeg
As shown here!
I may end up just cutting off the top of it and make it look like a removable lever assembly or an automatic point system.
The only other observation was that my loco has a slightly too long wheelbase for the curves so this may have to be factored into ether a redesign of the chassis or building another locomotive for the layout!
Now tucked into the shed safely away from harm!
E3B18DAD-2887-4B5F-9E53-E072B3D82770.jpeg
Excusing the mess my shed is currently in!

Tom