4mm An EM Workbench: mineral allsorts

AJC

Western Thunderer
Who's brake lever guides do you use Adam?

Wagon looks great!

The one from the Rumney etch for 10' Morton braked wagons (B.114). Yes, I know this is 10' 6". The 9' wb minerals have these too. All sorts of useful bits on those. And thank you, it's scrubbed up quite well, despite PECO. If it ever dries out, I can paint all these soon and catch up with weathering and lettering.

Adam

matto21

Western Thunderer
The one from the Rumney etch for 10' Morton braked wagons (B.114). Yes, I know this is 10' 6". The 9' wb minerals have these too. All sorts of useful bits on those. And thank you, it's scrubbed up quite well, despite PECO. If it ever dries out, I can paint all these soon and catch up with weathering and lettering.

Adam
Thanks - I'm trying to find a source of etched brake lever guides that a) don't involve buying all other bits I may or may not use and b) aren't too fiddly to assemble!

cctransuk

Thanks - I'm trying to find a source of etched brake lever guides that a) don't involve buying all other bits I may or may not use and b) aren't too fiddly to assemble!

In my experience, etched brake lever guides are, by definition, fiddly to assemble.

I decided, years ago, that life is too short and I therefore use cast levers / guides.

John Isherwood.

AJC

Western Thunderer
True, however on the hierarchical table of fiddliness, some are fiddler than others (Ambis for example)!

Oh yes. They are a pain, I agree, and the Rumney bits are better.

For me, a degree of fiddliness is what I want of an evening so that's what I do. I use cast levers on occasion (the pair of LNER vehicles a page or two back), but not often. Nothing wrong with them, if you can get them for your prototype, and cast Morton brakes from ABS are great, I've used dozens, but I like the finesse of etched levers. My models, my choice.

Adam

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I like fiddly etched bits too - or I do now I can actually solder them!

I can't even work out how to assemble the Ambis ones!
Hobby Holidays have the 7mm instructions on their links page which should help with working out how to assemble them. Most are obvious once the logic is explained.

Reactions: AJC