Photo Another Rare Freightliner Container

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Given the interest in the 30' Freightliner container I showed a few weeks back, I've posted up this one that has turned up out of the weeds :).

6857862690_2d3d7d5325_b.jpg

Its a 10' container coded 02G24, which according to records is one of 289 boxes built at Horwich in 1967, which makes it a staggering 45 years old! and six years older than the 30' one found recently.

Hope this is of interest and if in the wrong area, then, admins please move accordingly.

Kindest

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Oh very nice... please do a thorough photo survey and post here.

Thank you for sharing this veteran.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Looks in pretty good condition for it's age :cool:

.............there's a motley collection of box van bodys not too far from me, the one facing the road has 'NOT FOR SALE' painted in large letters on it, quite sad really as they are deteriorating & seem unused :(

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yep, used to load them 6 up

I've never seen six up, certainly one or two, but six would be a sight :), photos of 10 footers in service are quite hard to come by.

It does look quiet respectable for its age, given its relatively close proximity to salt air corrosion.

I will take some more detail shots for those interested in such things, hopefully tomorrow work permitting, unlike the other one, this one has the arrows of indecision painted out and they can still be made out quiet easily at certain angles.

Kindest

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Yep, used to load them 6 up
This puzzles me for looking at our model of a FFA (contemporary build to the box) does not have enough socket locations for the number of Freightliner clamp-lock which would be required to take 6 boxes. So I checked the BR diagram book for design codes FF and FG (Courtesy of the Barrowmore MRC). Humm, for those diagrams which include the location centres for the Freightliner clamps then there seems to be only 5 sets of locks at the nominal 10' centres (something like 3.01 metres). Anyone any idea on this?

In passing - where the initial build of Freightliner boxes compatible with the ISO clamp system?

regards, Graham

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
This puzzles me for looking at our model of a FFA (contemporary build to the box) does not have enough socket locations for the number of Freightliner clamp-lock which would be required to take 6 boxes. So I checked the BR diagram book for design codes FF and FG (Courtesy of the Barrowmore MRC). Humm, for those diagrams which include the location centres for the Freightliner clamps then there seems to be only 5 sets of locks at the nominal 10' centres (something like 3.01 metres). Anyone any idea on this?

In passing - where the initial build of Freightliner boxes compatible with the ISO clamp system?

regards, Graham

I may be mistaken but I'm sure it was 6. Will see what I can unearth.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
From what I can gather there were some wagons that had double pegs on all intermediate fixings that would accept 6 ten footers, but these are very hard to come by, its more normal for the 20,30,40 to be doubles, especially today, having said that some wagons have so many fixings its almost impossible to work out what they can carry, 20,30,40, 45, 48' or what ever combo you can fit in, many are not fixed pegs but can slide, thus saving on the number of actual pegs required, ie one peg can be slid into many locations. Of the images I've found its usually 10+30+20, or 10+40+0.

It appears that all Freightliner boxes were fitted with ISO twistlock pockets, as well as side fixings for chain and tackle, the above box has both, photos later when I get home.

Some early corner pockets seem to be fully enclosed, ie only bottom or top opening, but as equipment has advanced then side and end holes were required, many reach stackers actually use the side holes, especially empties where two can be lifted at once, in which case both the side and end holes are clamped with a complex hydraulic fixing.

It also gets more complex when you add in Sealand boxes and their hybrid lock system that only uses two rear locks and a center front internal pocket, though (to my knowledge) no wagons in Europe were ever outfitted with that system which remained a US based system, unlike broad gauge the Sealand fixing took a very long time to die out, and until the Maersk buy out a few years ago all new Sealand boxes & trailers were still built to that system, there's an awful lot of them to be phased out, not just boxes but rail wagons, road trailers and whole fleets of dock trailers on dedicated Sealand terminals. Luckily Sealand had some forsense and added front twistlock pockets as well....just in case the rest of the world refused to adopt their system...which we did :).

Hope that helps

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
What an unusual container, I can't help thinking that these are the boxes that appeared on the original literature for the liner trains