Auction of ScaleSeven 'Monks Eleigh' layout and stock

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I believe some of the problems of selling layouts is firstly having the space, even Monks Eleigh takes a fare chunk of space, secondly it has a smaller market being S7, thirdly the greater percentage of that smaller S7 market would/do prefer to build their own layouts and you could say fourthly it's ex GER which limits the interest further.
I was following the auction and it was a commission bid, no interest in the room. Probably wouldn't of got much more if they had gone through the S7 Group to sell it.
One I was surprised at was a box of 8 plastic kit wagons sold for £20 more than the F5 loco. The coaching stock sold well as they were well built and painted, just hope they went to a S7 buyer rather than being converted to Fudge scale.:(

Col.

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
I bought the F3, even though a bit uncared for I believe it to be a bargain, rather than kit built as in the description it was scratch built by Colin Dowling, eastsidepilot. Other locos went a little over my budget, the 30% fee to be paid on the hammer price is pretty significant.
Tim

daifly

Western Thunderer
I bought the F3, even though a bit uncared for I believe it to be a bargain, rather than kit built as in the description it was scratch built by Colin Dowling, eastsidepilot. Other locos went a little over my budget, the 30% fee to be paid on the hammer price is pretty significant.
Tim
Tim

You must have been using ‘Invaluable’ and bidding live. The premium +VAT is only 25% via the Vectis site. You’d be lucky to get anyone to build you another F3 for what you paid!

I put limit bids in on 9 items but won only one (not the layout!) - a couple of wagons - more for sentimental reasons than anything else. The other lots went for well more than I was prepared to pay.

Some of the coaches went for very big sums - well in excess of £500 each. With the buyer’s premium etc. they’ll have cost around £700.

Dave

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
You're correct Dave, I prefer to bid live, it gives me the opportunity to lose my head:D. I had prices in mind for several of the locos but was outbid. The prices of coaches and horseboxes was very interesting, I guess its realised that building rolling stock is very demanding and often unappreciated. I can't figure out why the two blood and custard coaches fetched £500.00 and £320.00 respectively.
It was suggested to me before the auction that the demand for S7 models is low so prices will be very disappointing. As it happens the prices seemed to be in excess of those often realised for 32mm.
Perhaps also a lesson that models railways are not an investment.

atb
Tim

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I can understand with live bidding why the second blood & custard went for a fair bit less than the first, Tim - they seemed to have a certain appeal as a pair.
That panned out for the crimson (slightly mis-matched) non-corridor pair too.
But conversely the second of the ex GER corridor pair - lot 3402 - went for more than the first.
I managed to get 3401 (proxy bid), so if whoever won it might be happy to sell it on at a reasonable mark-up, do let me know!

Last edited:

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I was lucky enough to win the Martyn Welch Tin Turtle. Ive spent quite a bit on toy trains recently, and interest mostly in american at the moment, but I was keen on this lot.

Looking forward to receiving it. Anyone know what the process is and how long it takes?

JB.

daifly

Western Thunderer
I was lucky enough to win the Martyn Welch Tin Turtle. Ive spent quite a bit on toy trains recently, and interest mostly in american at the moment, but I was keen on this lot.

Looking forward to receiving it. Anyone know what the process is and how long it takes?

JB.
I’ve bought several lots from Vectis in the past. Being proactive does no harm. Email them and let them know you want it sent. They do a good job of packing but delivery can take, as they say in their FAQs, up to three weeks. P&p charges are reasonable. My last purchases certainly took well over 2 weeks to arrive by courier - DPD as I recall.
My tin turtle bid was properly smashed out of the park! Hope it runs as well as it looks. It’s got a great pedigree. Enjoy!
Dave

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Model railway valuations at auction for S7 and maybe F/S are difficult to assess and I don't think there is any kind of 'standard' or ball park figure to judge them by. The higher values will always seem to be the dealers moving tinplate around for the collectors market which is really about antiques and not model railways as we would consider it although there are some very greedy dealers out there selling (F/S usually) bit's of crap for inflated prices on Ebay, an example of which I have in my workshop bought by the late Peter Cavalier, it is, or supposed to be, an E4 not very well built from an old sad Acorn kit, it's shaped like a banana in both horizontal and vertical planes and won't run as it is.
He was ripped off for the price of £400 at an 'O gauge Model Railway Show' by a dealer, the poor man did try to get his money back after he had asked my advice, on seeing it at the time, but the Guy said quote" Well what do you expect ? if it was perfect it would have been three or four times more !"

There 'aint a collectors market for S7, so even with a provenance attached to a scratch built loco for instance which has been charged in the thousands to the original commission the second hand value will always be far less.

As they say "One mans Brass is another mans Gold"

Col.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Just checked - he won't have far to go, they're in Witney!
Does anyone from the eastern counties get across to Witney?

Rambler

Last Thursday I received the items that I successfully bid against. P&P was £20.

G5_67279.jpg
D18_Brake_Third.jpg
Both models are a bit dusty and the G5 has some whitish discolouration spots on the boiler top, but otherwise they are in good condition. The carriage wheels are Slaters and they don't show any sign of rusting, so their condition is what you might expect for working models (as opposed to showcase items) that haven't been used for some time.
Eric Ramsay

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
I believe that most of the layout photos with stock visible are the work of @Heather Kay of this parish

Dave
Indeed they are. Heather very kindly took a load of excellent photos of the layout in happier days. I used several of them when I featured the layout in the Scale7 Newsletter no.91 back in 2013. A sad end to a magnificent layout.

Richard

Rambler

Four lots of S7 LNER carriage bogies appeared on the GOG “Members Sales” page recently and they look like the ones from Monks Eleigh vehicles. I expressed an interest in a pair of GNR/LNER Fox bogies and a triplet of Gresley bogies, but the vendor told me that they’ve gone to someone who will be converting them to fine-scale. If I was modelling in F7 and these came along I’d probably do the same - the Gresley bogies looked like Kemilway and they take forever to build!
Eric

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
I don't understand why the original purchaser didn't substitute fine scale wheelsets for the S7 that were fitted and continue to use bogies that came with coaches.

Tim

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I don't understand why the original purchaser didn't substitute fine scale wheelsets for the S7 that were fitted and continue to use bogies that came with coaches.

Tim
I wonder if it might have been too much work for someone not that experienced.

Possibly would have required stripping and unsoldering brake gear and axle box retaining parts in order to get the wheels out?

JB.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Crying shame ! :rolleyes: and even more work to replace the bogies for someone that can't change a set of wheels :confused:.....still curious as to where the layout went ?

Last edited: