Ballast Quay (London docklands)

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,
Very nice work. I think you should 'resurrect' this layout so to speak.
It looks promising.
Are disused and overgrown crossing gates a bit of a signature?

Thanks mopar! Yes I am working on some ideas at present; the hardest part is having the courage (sentimentally speaking) to lift the track on the board that needs rebuilding. Whatever happens it will be simplicity itself, concentrating on dereliction and atmosphere. Over grown crossing gates are a great interest of mine!

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Ballast key11.jpg The class 22 making a clearance test run through the dock complex. Lovely models these Dapol diesels with heaps of character. The weathering needs toning down somewhat; this was the initial application. I had intended this diesel for St. Mary Hoo as a P4 conversion but I think I'll keep it for this layout. The loco is running on the board that I'd like to rebuild; all of the track you see would be lifted and a completely new arrangement laid.

jonte

Western Thunderer
You appear to have yet another hit here, Simon, and deservedly so.

A wonderfully neglected and uncrowned scene bearing all the hallmarks of your top drawer modelling that we've come to admire and respect.

Looking forward to more of the 'less is more' concept,

Jonte

BTW didn't even realise the double slip was Peco until you pointed it out!

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Many thanks as usual Jonte for your high praise! At the moment I like bits of the layout, but not as a whole and if I can dare rip up half of it and start again I hope that the complete picture will be more pleasing on the eye.

PMP

Western Thunderer
I quite like the Dapol 22's apart from the daft design of the detachable skirts. Having looked at many many images of them there are very, very few of them in service, (particularly in green), with the skirts missing. The missing skirts being widespread seems to be an RMWeb generated myth.

Having got fed up with the skirts falling off and the unrealistic depth of the detailing beneath them, I've attached mine with a small bit of PVA wood glue which holds them in place, this also allows you to get the body off without them being permanent.

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
A part finished Craftsman Models BR southern region class 07. I haven't worked on this etched brass kit for years and what you see in the photo is where I got to then (up to the grey primer stage). There are also still a few small details to add from the kit. It uses Alan Gibson driving wheels; I adapted their class 03 wheels which have the correct number of spokes for an 07 and are the right diameter (but you need to remove the moulded balance weights, which is not easy) unlike most modellers attempts at this loco. You usually see Romford ten spoke wheels under them which are totally wrong. The chassis currently has an electrical short which I'm still trying to locate. Eventually it will be painted in green with wasp stripes and is destined for Ballast Quay. Had I built it recently I would have tackled it rather differently; for a start it could do with some filler around the cab side joins. class 07a.jpg class 07b.jpg

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
A recently discovered unpublished photo of the layout; the white bits in the background are plaster waiting to be sanded down and painted. I may resume work soonish on this very stop and start layout. One of the first things I'd do would be to finish off the level crossing gate; the mesh is only partially rusted and weathered and doesn't look very convincing here. I could see one of the new Hornby coupled 0-4-0 Sentinels working on this layout. The leaning telegraph pole is deliberate rather than sloppy modelling! It's based on a similar pole that was found at Witney Junction on the Fairford branch.10275357_10208321243169113_5548116406361474417_o.jpg

Last edited:

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
Many thanks Neil for your kind words. I just wish I could get to grips with this layout... somehow. There are several problem areas with it that I just can't work up the enthusiasm for; i.e. to sort them out. Silly really, because if cured, the layout would be rather entertaining.