Bank Top Yard (Industrial)

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Didnt they say of Alexander the Great that he broke down and wept when he realised there were no more worlds to conquer?

I think that's the beauty of this hobby that there is always something to learn or try and you can take it in whichever direction pleases you
Hello George,

You're dead right here. Not only is our hobby healthy for kinesthetic learners and physical activity but for the imagination as well!

wigancg

Western Thunderer
A slightly different theme of tonight and one which is allowed to go off topic, I think.

Here we have a lovely Austerity 2-8-0. Yes, the glamorous express passenger locomotives are/were great in all their shining glory. However, it's the mundane workhorses that do it for me. These are the locomotives that kept the railway network of yesteryear (and the country as a whole) moving. Dirty, neglected and unloved but I think they're beautiful!

This one runs wonderfully slow and I picked her up at Warley. She requires some additional small details including crew in the cab but otherwise looks the part. Not one for Bank Top Yard but I can use her elsewhere.

PXL_20231207_195620545.jpg

PXL_20231207_195745869.NIGHT.jpg

Back on Bank Top we see the little Peckett busy shunting away with some box vans.

PXL_20231129_202326163.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20231129_202416681.NIGHT.jpg

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Happy New Year to you all. 2024 already! I haven't had that moment just yet when you need to write the date, pause slightly awkwardly to remember to write '24 and not go backwards in time! That'll come at work in the very near future...

Some minor modelling bits and pieces have been managed over the festive period.

Bank Top isn't particularly near the coast, but these blighters get everywhere. Perhaps they should be given names? Nice names, like Cecil or Mildred. Not naughty swear word ones. That would never do!

PXL_20240101_193414138.jpg

PXL_20240101_193209822.jpg

PXL_20240101_193235778.jpg

PXL_20240101_193011594.jpg

PXL_20240101_193308694.jpg

PXL_20240101_193152332.jpg

These are part of the Modelu brand and are excellently detailed and relatively simple to paint, provided you either have good eyesight or a good magnifying lens.

I've never really studied seagulls before in such detail. Always tried to keep them at arms length, especially at somewhere like Bristol Temple Meads where they effectively run the station, and swoop down and steal a person's whole sandwich clean away from their hand. And then, to top it off, settle in the four foot and gobble it all up in front of the poor person stood watching with tears in their eyes on the platform. See, today's lesson is to eat your dinner on the train, unless it's delayed but that's not a story for today...

Chris

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
where they effectively run the station, and swoop down and steal a person's whole sandwich clean away from their hand. And then, to top it off, settle in the four foot and gobble it all up in front of the poor person stood watching with tears in their eyes on the platform
Sounds similar to my experience in Whitby and Rothesay.... Only with fish and chips rather than sandwiches!

Western Thunderer
Happy New Year to you all. 2024 already! I haven't had that moment just yet when you need to write the date, pause slightly awkwardly to remember to write '24 and not go backwards in time! That'll come at work in the very near future...

Bank Top isn't particularly near the coast, but these blighters get everywhere. Perhaps they should be given names? Nice names, like Cecil or Mildred. Not naughty swear word ones. That would never do!

View attachment 205522

View attachment 205519

View attachment 205520

View attachment 205517

View attachment 205521

View attachment 205518

These are part of the Modelu brand and are excellently detailed and relatively simple to paint, provided you either have good eyesight or a good magnifying lens.

I've never really studied seagulls before in such detail. Always tried to keep them at arms length, especially at somewhere like Bristol Temple Meads where they effectively run the station, and swoop down and steal a person's whole sandwich clean away from their hand. And then, to top it off, settle in the four foot and gobble it all up in front of the poor person stood watching with tears in their eyes on the platform. See, today's lesson is to eat your dinner on the train, unless it's delayed but that's not a story for today...

Chris

Properly, there is no such thing as a ‘seagull’. They’re ‘gulls’, and there are many species. Yours, based on their plumage, are herring gulls. These are the ones that are often regarded as pests. I believe they haven’t increased, but they have become more urban so we interact more with them.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer

View attachment 205522

View attachment 205519

View attachment 205520

View attachment 205517

View attachment 205521

View attachment 205518

Chris
Goodness, if that's the same gull, he gets around a bit! ;)

Suffolk Dave

Western Thunderer
I've never considered myself as a card carrying rivet counter but what you've painted there are a great match for Lesser Black-backed Gull. The yellow legs and slate grey wings being the key points here. Herring Gull by comparison would have paler grey wings and pink, flesh coloured legs.

LBBG is fairly widespread around the UK and so not out of place. Just imagine if you painted a rare visitor - you'd have to paint a couple of hundred twitchers all lined up admiring it!

Western Thunderer
I've never considered myself as a card carrying rivet counter but what you've painted there are a great match for Lesser Black-backed Gull. The yellow legs and slate grey wings being the key points here. Herring Gull by comparison would have paler grey wings and pink, flesh coloured legs.

LBBG is fairly widespread around the UK and so not out of place. Just imagine if you painted a rare visitor - you'd have to paint a couple of hundred twitchers all lined up admiring it!
You’re right. I should have noticed the legs. I’m not knowledgeable about birds but my wife used to work for the RSPB, including having to respond to complaints about ‘seagulls’ in the local media.

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Sounds similar to my experience in Whitby and Rothesay.... Only with fish and chips rather than sandwiches!
Oh George, now you've done it! Fancy saying the word 'fish'. Now they'll all start swarming onto Bank Top thinking the lads down there have a fish and chip dinner everyday. Although, it would make coming into work easier...!

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Properly, there is no such thing as a ‘seagull’. They’re ‘gulls’, and there are many species. Yours, based on their plumage, are herring gulls. These are the ones that are often regarded as pests. I believe they haven’t increased, but they have become more urban so we interact more with them.
You’re right. I should have noticed the legs. I’m not knowledgeable about birds but my wife used to work for the RSPB, including having to respond to complaints about ‘seagulls’ in the local media.
Everyday can be a school day. I remember hearing that the term 'seagull' isn't accurate and I suppose it's how language has developed and lazy attitudes have slipped into society and general conversations, however, thank you for the info about different gull types.
I don't treat them as pests and I think they are treated unfairly. After all, they are intelligent creatures to fathom that hanging around railway stations will equal food, as well as a bit of trainspotting. Why bother staying near the coast when dozy humans will hold a delicious sandwich in the air on platform 5 whilst glued to their mobile phone...

wigancg

Western Thunderer

Thanks Dave.
Maybe the figure on the layout I've labelled as Gordon Edgar could actually be a birdwatcher and not interested in photographing locomotives at all?!

wigancg

Western Thunderer
I haven't done a great deal of modelling over the past month or so (probably even longer actually). Even over the Christmas and New Year period I didn't do very much on the layout, or anything else model related for that matter. Being in hospital all over Christmas last year wasn't fun at all so I recall saying, "next year's will be back to normal and much better." It certainly was! I did plenty of relaxing and going on days out over the festive period.

I did find time to paint the gulls though so they got done and fixed into place on the layout.

This week though I've been tackling some bigger jobs that have been on the "to do" list for a long time. The first one was to dismantle an old layout that was in the way, salvage what could be saved and then ship that out of the way. With that now gone and space become available I've been able to install the lighting at long last on the layout. I found researching this tricky because the strip LEDs I've used are either not long enough if one is used or too long if used in multiple with smaller lengths. Either way, I have some gaps with darker areas, but fortunately these are not too dark to be so off putting.

PXL_20240118_193110666.jpg

PXL_20240118_193736773.jpg

Anyway, the lighting sits just within the viewing frame and illuminates the layout nicely from the front to the back. I haven't actually used lighting on this scale before so it does take some getting used to but the strip was very simple to fit so a big thanks to Screwfix, and to Rob from Ewe/Bleat Wharf with his tips and research help.

PXL_20240118_193239097.jpg

I still have other things to do yet, the main one being to raise the layout to eye level on a couple of trestles. What may not be so clear is that right from the start I've been creating and working on this layout on the floor! Yes, I've had back ache on a few occasions but not to worry.

I also need to paint the viewing frame black and I have some cut out letters to paint white for the name.

Over time, as with any layout, I will continue with foliage and build this up on the embankment.

Another thing I haven't ever done before is view and operate a layout from eye level. This is quite a common thing now I've noticed and adds to the atmosphere and effect really well. I do like it! With space now available I can crack on with this and have it up in the sky before long.

PXL_20240118_193526584.jpg

This is the desired effect at least:
PXL_20240118_193945018.jpg

Whilst we have time, let's savour a few moments with Beatrice as she poses for us in the yard.

PXL_20240117_202949028.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240117_203032814.NIGHT.jpg

And a random ex china clay wagon at the end of #1 siding.

PXL_20240117_203426371.NIGHT.jpg

Phew! That's all for now.

I did find myself looking admiringly at 009 scale last night before going to sleep. Hmm, that's worrying...

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
Not much to report recently. I've found time in between a busy work schedule to make a start on detailing up the second Victory class model I got a while back. She runs just as beautifully and will be used when she's been weathered.

Diana will be making friends with Elspeth very soon.

PXL_20240128_190305154.NIGHT.jpg

I've been debating for some time now about getting a few of my larger locomotive models professionally weathered. Recently, I took the plunge and did so with one of my GWR 28xx models. It was well worth it.

I supplied a photograph of a 28xx on a shed in the 60's and requested for the model to be put in a similar state. I am delighted with the results.

PXL_20240128_191747657.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240128_191603707.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240128_191629764.NIGHT.jpg

I actually prefer to see models in such conditions. The end of the BR period was, as we all know, like this but locomotives weren't always clean and spic and span during earlier times and it's refreshing to see this modelled during GWR days, for example.

PXL_20240128_191733628.NIGHT.jpg

I fitted all the detailing parts before sending 2845 to be weathered and I left the Modelu crew in situ. That was probably a good thing as it has toned down the blue of the jackets on the crew in the cab.

PXL_20240128_191836990.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20240128_191759468.NIGHT.jpg

2845 won't be used here. She is only for other projects and looks beautiful plodding daintily along with an equally dirty coal train from South Wales.

PXL_20240128_192019898.NIGHT.jpg

I have a 38xx 2-8-0 as well which also needs some weathering treatment so that's next on the list but will have a different dirty look, I think.

Chris

wigancg

Western Thunderer
"So, he only said he'd nip off for a few minutes and to mind his engine for him."
Stan climbed up onto the locomotive as it patiently purred away.
"He said that yesterday though," replied Bert. "And anyroad, he only asked you 'cos he knows you're into trains an' all that. If he takes ages then we'll be late!"

PXL_20240303_192259728.NIGHT.jpg