7mm Bleddfa Road

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Bleddfa Road is a very neatly built layout and I suppose you have reached the stage where you're thinking....what now? The (EM) layout with a loco shed doesn't look much fun.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
More planting is under consideration for this area as well, and I'm also considering revamping an old project from my 4mm scale modelling days

Having messed around with 7mm scale and as you've noted yourself in post #641 I don't think you would return to 4mm scale.

However, I feel Bleddfa Road is at the stage where you can just now tinker with additional details such as the extra planting, flowers, telegraph wires, etc, etc; i.e. the small everyday details we see and take for granted but only notice when they become conspicious by their absence.

An example in urban areas is street furniture such as pillar boxes, dustbins, bollards, road signs and fire hydrants. In the countryside it could be items such as grass clippings tipped over a hedge, a part fence repair, repair materials lying around, tree stumps, and old VR post mounted post box, etc, etc, in fact anything.

These are small projects in their own right and are the sort of thing you can pick up at any stage when the mood grabs you.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
The railcar story seems familiar.
Indeed it does Alan, such a shame that it didn't have a happy ending when they were used on the Tetbury, Cirencester and numerous other branches.

Bleddfa Road is a very neatly built layout and I suppose you have reached the stage where you're thinking....what now? The (EM) layout with a loco shed doesn't look much fun.
Thanks Larry, I am indeed at the stage where I'm thinking what now, and at times I think perhaps it might be time to call it a day.

The shed scene wouldn't be much fun to operate, but it would be fun to build it in 7mm scale.

Having messed around with 7mm scale and as you've noted yourself in post #641 I don't think you would return to 4mm scale.

However, I feel Bleddfa Road is at the stage where you can just now tinker with additional details such as the extra planting, flowers, telegraph wires, etc, etc; i.e. the small everyday details we see and take for granted but only notice when they become conspicious by their absence.

An example in urban areas is street furniture such as pillar boxes, dustbins, bollards, road signs and fire hydrants. In the countryside it could be items such as grass clippings tipped over a hedge, a part fence repair, repair materials lying around, tree stumps, and old VR post mounted post box, etc, etc, in fact anything.

These are small projects in their own right and are the sort of thing you can pick up at any stage when the mood grabs you.

Tinkering with the layout as you describe is very much in my thoughts Dave, I've also got plenty of wagon kits to build and the Fordson truck to complete.

P1190107.jpg

In fact the tinkering has already started when I stripped back this area, only time will tell if I've made a big mistake :rolleyes:

P1200641~2.jpg

Geoff

cmax

Western Thunderer
Indeed it does Alan, such a shame that it didn't have a happy ending when they were used on the Tetbury, Cirencester and numerous other branches.

Thanks Larry, I am indeed at the stage where I'm thinking what now, and at times I think perhaps it might be time to call it a day.

The shed scene wouldn't be much fun to operate, but it would be fun to build it in 7mm scale.

Tinkering with the layout as you describe is very much in my thoughts Dave, I've also got plenty of wagon kits to build and the Fordson truck to complete.

View attachment 209860

In fact the tinkering has already started when I stripped back this area, only time will tell if I've made a big mistake :rolleyes:

View attachment 209859

Geoff
You can always put it back later, if you think you have made a mistake, What ever you decide, you have made a superb model.

Gary

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Well the first stage of the tinkering is over, and this is how the scene looks today.......

P1200664~2.jpg

I might make a few simple changes to the composition of the scene, but I will leave things for now. As a matter of interest, the layout is 21 inches (53 cm) wide at this point.

Enjoy the weekend.

Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
P1200678~3.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I caught a whiff of diesel fumes and saw this DMU idling away in the station platform this Saturday morning.

P1200680~3.jpg

How times change, for I hated the sight of these things when they started to take over from steam. I took a chance when I saved this rather sad, neglected, non-running DCC model. Being an old dinosaur I converted it back to DC, and its engine, sorry motor sprang to life, it has a loose exhaust and a few missing details but nothing that can't easily be repaired. That white cab roof will disappear under a coating of exhaust stains when I get around to a spot of weathering

P1200665~2.jpg

Anyway, enough of oil burners, this kettle was caught simmering away yesterday morning.

Enjoy your weekend.
Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
can't smell the diesel, but a coal burner mmm:)

Ken
You can't beat the smell of hot oil and steam Ken.

Lovely photos Geoff which issue of RB did you pull them from…….just kidding.
Michael
Thank you Michael, can't remember where I pulled those photos from. :rolleyes:

Lovely stuff as always Geoff, nice to see the GRCW Bubble (later tops class 122) on service.

Happy modelling
Craig
Cheers Craig, hope you are keeping well.

The Bubble hasn't been seen since Saturday, and things have returned to normal.

P1200551~3.jpg

P1200553~6.jpg

Geoff.