Bradstock Loco

Quintus

Western Thunderer
During lockdown I decided to build a little 7mm scale loco shed layout, or perhaps it could be termed a working diorama, as the overall size is 8ft x 2ft, with a 9inch bolt on extension to the fiddle yard (which uses loco casettes). The location is "somewhere in Somerset", but there is a clue in the name as to the area I imagine it to be.
The layout is wired for DC or DCC.
I have exhibited it a few times and it seems to have been fairly well received.
DSC_5318 (1024x668)~2.jpgDSC_5323 (1024x575)~2.jpgDSC_5324 (1024x653)~2.jpg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
This is a lovely layout. Saw it at the Minehead show last year where I was also exhibiting. Very nice indeed and as Pencarrot alludes to, beautifully muted tones.

Rob.

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Encouraged by your kind comments, I have been moved to post a couple more shots.
Chris, the turntable is a Kitwood Hill models kit (laser cut ply), and is 48ft diameter.
I would have loved a 55ft one, as my 43XX won't quite fit on this one, but the next size is 65ft, a little too large for this rural backwater (and the baseboard width!)
The slightly drooping arm on the water crane is a result of my lack of care when unloading for an exhibition. A temporary repair was made at the time, but it is on the to do list.
The little shed on the left of the loco houses the steam pump for raising the water to the tank. I say this as some people have thought it's a loo
DSC_5333 (1024x667).jpgDSC_5329 (1024x587).jpg

Easterner

Western Thunderer
Fantastic Mike,

Inspires me to want to build something very similar with an Eastern Region theme.....!

Keep the pictures and updates coming :)

Quintus

Western Thunderer
The drooping water crane has now been remedied, fortunately by giving the horizontal pipe a good heave upwards, much relief as I was prepared to replace the whole thing.
Here are a couple of my DC locos from Melcombe Magna residing on shed.
I took my DC controlled S&D locos with Bradstock to the Sedgemoor Rail show at Highbridge in August, well, being Highbridge, I thought I should! Although I have section switches for DC control, I find operation is more restricted with this type of layout.
Next time out it will be back to DCC with sound._DSC4321 (1280x843)~3.jpg

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Another S&D refugee from Melcombe Magna visiting Bradstock. 40634 was one of the 2P's built for the S&D by Derby, they could be distinguished from the L.M.S. locos by having the works plate on the front frames rather than on the front splasher, as the S&D locos carried the company crest there. Built from a David Andrews kit._DSC4276.JPG

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike
Having pressed the "like" button a few times I feel I should say why.
Simply as others have said, subtle and impressive weathering along with a lovely blend of the scenery. And of course the locos are splendid....
Some of the shots could be mistaken for prototype photos....
Would have loved to see this in August at Highbridge if it hadn't been for the carrob harvest in Spain.
Please post more photos when you can.
Cheers Julian

Quintus

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike
Having pressed the "like" button a few times I feel I should say why.
Simply as others have said, subtle and impressive weathering along with a lovely blend of the scenery. And of course the locos are splendid....
Some of the shots could be mistaken for prototype photos....
Would have loved to see this in August at Highbridge if it hadn't been for the carrob harvest in Spain.
Please post more photos when you can.
Cheers Julian
Thanks Julian, the layout is booked to appear again at Highbridge in Feb, at the Sedgemoor O gauge group show.
If you can make it please come and say hello.
Cheers
Mike

paulc

Western Thunderer
Thanks Julian, the layout is booked to appear again at Highbridge in Feb, at the Sedgemoor O gauge group show.
If you can make it please come and say hello.
Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike , are you exhibiting at any Australian shows ?????? :))