Prototype Brake vans in BR days (not Toads)

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Having put up photos of GWR toad vans I wish to show I'm not totally biased. So the following are other regions and BR brake vans.

The first three photos are from the Rocks by Rail or Rutland Iron Ore Museum. The first two were taken yesterday on Photo Charters. As are most of the following ones, it was not a good for the weather yesterday.

Brake Vans1.JPG

This has a LMS works plate on the sole board just the right of the lookout ducket.

Brake Vans2.JPG

The next photo is from January this year. Southern van I believe.

Brakevans3.JPG

This photo is from the Pontypool & Blaenavon, date 14/09/2009
It looks like a brake van but says Shark DCE Three Bridges on the side.

Brake Vans4.JPG

The next two are from the Nene Valley Railway (NVR) The first BR Southern, the second BR Eastern???.

Brakevans5.JPG

brakevans6.JPG

Next two are from the GCR on the 7/10/2009 They were our transport for the day.

Brake Vans7.JPG

Brake Vans8.JPG

You will have to work out what these two are! Although one has LMS on it.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Dave,

I can provide a little more info on two of them:
index.php

This is a Southern designed and built 25t van that was produced for the WD. The brake cylinders on the end are the give-away.

index.php

And this one is not actually a brake van, it's a plough brake, used to lay ballast (the reason for the plough underneath) I'd have to check the running number, but I suspect it's one of the SECR-designed, Southern ordered versions which came into service in 1948/9.

Steph

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer

I stand to be corrected, but this is a very late BR standard brake van. It has roller bearings, which I believe were only fitted to a lot destined originally for London Transport but which ended up in normal BR service. Most of the BR standard brakes had oil axleboxes.

The "Eastern" branding was an early attempt by BR to keep brake vans in regions where possible. The branding was dropped fairly quickly, and most brake vans became common user around the whole country, I think. So, the preservation paint job isn't strictly speaking correct for this particular vehicle, but then it's great to see such mundane vehicles being preserved in such good nick so I'm not complaining.

Oh, and the LMS van at the end? That's a BR build, if I'm not mistaken. The buffers give it away, as well as the low brake pipe. LMS vans had a high brake pipe, and I believe were only through-piped and not actually vacuum braked.

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Thanks to both for adding detail information. More of my photos, these are from my days out or passing by!

First one is from the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway, 1/9/12 and is another Shark van.

Brake Vans9.JPG

The next is from the SVR date 13/10/12, looks like a LMS BR

Brake Vans10.JPG

Next photo is from the NRM date 7/9/10 Southern bogie Queen I believe.

SRGuardsVan1.JPG

As a well known Disney character used to say 'that's all folks'

Dave

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Next photo is from the NRM date 7/9/10 Southern bogie Queen I believe.

Queen Mary, rather than Queen. So named for their palatial accommodation and smooth ride. Also, perhaps uniquely, they had enough weight and brake power to actually stop a train!

Steph