Buckjumper's Gallery

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
I've got quite a few models in the final stages of weathering, and first off the line is a GW 5-plank wagon. I was rapidly losing light and added a little artificial daylight, but it's mucked up the colouration, and I couldn't fix it to my entire satisfaction, so maybe I'll retake these if I can get some mid-morning sunlight in the next couple of days.

gw_5plk_78396_01.jpg

It's a WEP brass kit in 0 Fine, c1910-12 with replacement steel buffers and represents a fairly recently repainted wagon with just a light dusting of traffic grime. There's a wagon sheet and ropes inside (photos to follow). Construction was straightforward - Raymond Walley details construction of his here and it's pretty much how I built this one. Wagon colour by Precision, transfers are HMRS Methfix, grime c/o Humbrol 33, 133, 62, 53, 64 and sparkly bits by Metalcote gunmetal. Wood c/o 110, 64 and 33.

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Adrian,
Looks good for a fresh out of the wagon works one, not too heavily weathered.:thumbs:
Fantastic scenery you have there, full of depth and superbly detailed, how did you manage that?;) :D
Alan

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Just why did the GWR abandon fresh-out-of-works wagons on the Buntingford branch?

Adrian, at Aylesbury last year Barry Norman showed me two GWR covered wagons, of prototypes built circa 1904 so contemporary with your model. Those were breath taking and I spent at least half an hour talking to him about how he got such a realistic result. This wagon is in the same league.:bowdown:

If you should happen to post the wagon to the wrong address then I will not mind.

best wishes, Graham

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Ade,
Excellent mate, and as for the back scene this is something I'd like to pick your brains about now that the other half has accuired a decent SLR camera:D .

ATB, Col.

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
I'm afraid it's all a bit Blue Peter; scissors glue and sticky-backed plastic - I'm just missing the washing-up liquid bottle! The embankment is one of a handful I have - it's about 24" long or so with an MDF base, shaped polystyrene ceiling tiles glued on and finished off with plaster bandage. The track was glued directly to the tiles and ballasted with sieved sand. I puffed some short grass fibres into the cess area and then stuck down a roll of Silfor grass mat the puffed some watercolour paint over - cadmium yellow and hooker green I think. It's terribly basic and was done in a couple of hours in one quick session a few years ago as I was desperate for a photo embankment one afternoon with time rapidly running out. The other embankments are just as basic, one has a light dusting of snow and smells of Boots baby talc. I really ought to pull my finger out and do a proper one sometime.

The back scene is one of a few local scenes taken with my Canon DSLR, most of which are shot across one of the local valleys (yes we have them in East Herts!) this one is the Rib valley in Standon, the Buntingford branch ran alongside the river . The Rib is a tributary of the Lea, the confluence being in Hertford, and the Lea ends up in East London, the last section being Bow Creek (hey, Colin!) before it hits the Thames.

I had the photo - actually two photos - printed onto some thick matt paper at the local printshop and then backed them with some card, but they're still too floppy. Now I'd stitch them together on the computer and have that printed off, but back then photo stitching for the common man was in its infancy. I found that laminating the photos caused some reflection issues, as does gloss paper, when doing photo shoots. The photos are blutacked and bulldog-clipped to some MDF glued & screwed into an L-shape, and the embankment sits on this but the two aren't joined so I can rotate the embankment relative to the sun and twist the backscene to stop shadows from being cast upon it. Any visible join between the photos is photoshopped out.

embankment.jpg

Result: cheap, cheerful, fraught with gyp when it's a little breezy, but does the bizz. However, much like my old school reports, could do a lot better.

welshwizard

Western Thunderer
I'm afraid it's all a bit Blue Peter; scissors glue and sticky-backed plastic - I'm just missing the washing-up liquid bottle! The embankment is one of a handful I have - it's about 24" long or so with an MDF base, shaped polystyrene ceiling tiles glued on and finished off with plaster bandage. The track was glued directly to the tiles and ballasted with sieved sand. I puffed some short grass fibres into the cess area and then stuck down a roll of Silfor grass mat the puffed some watercolour paint over - cadmium yellow and hooker green I think. It's terribly basic and was done in a couple of hours in one quick session a few years ago as I was desperate for a photo embankment one afternoon with time rapidly running out. The other embankments are just as basic, one has a light dusting of snow and smells of Boots baby talc. I really ought to pull my finger out and do a proper one sometime.

The back scene is one of a few local scenes taken with my Canon DSLR, most of which are shot across one of the local valleys (yes we have them in East Herts!) this one is the Rib valley in Standon, the Buntingford branch ran alongside the river . The Rib is a tributary of the Lea, the confluence being in Hertford, and the Lea ends up in East London, the last section being Bow Creek (hey, Colin!) before it hits the Thames.

I had the photo - actually two photos - printed onto some thick matt paper at the local printshop and then backed them with some card, but they're still too floppy. Now I'd stitch them together on the computer and have that printed off, but back then photo stitching for the common man was in its infancy. I found that laminating the photos caused some reflection issues, as does gloss paper, when doing photo shoots. The photos are blutacked and bulldog-clipped to some MDF glued & screwed into an L-shape, and the embankment sits on this but the two aren't joined so I can rotate the embankment relative to the sun and twist the backscene to stop shadows from being cast upon it. Any visible join between the photos is photoshopped out.

View attachment 8937

Result: cheap, cheerful, fraught with gyp when it's a little breezy, but does the bizz. However, much like my old school reports, could do a lot better.
Now doesn't that let the tyre's down matey !!!.

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
An AA7 - the 'Acton Shortie' - circa 1910 built from a Connoisseur kit. I've incorporated a some rudimentary track-holding properties by throwing some of Bill Parker's compensation units underneath (it's an 0F, not S7 model).

aa7_56987_02.jpg

Body colour from Precision, weathering from my Humbrol base palette of 33, 133, 64, 62, 34 and 53 with transfers from the HMRS. Glazing is 0.13mm glass, couplings from CPL and sprung buffers heads are Slater’s.
aa7_56987_01.jpg