4mm Building a Southern Region layout

Phil.c

Western Thunderer
A great example of detail modeling Tim, creating just the right atmosphere and mood! Keep it up!

Best regards,

Phil

dltaylor

Western Thunderer
20130313Z_30799.jpg
There was no part* of the old Southern Region where an Arthur could not be found, for the best part of twenty years, this ground breaking class of locomotives were the backbone of the Southern's heaviest passenger services.
From Exeter to Dover, they were the locomotive at the front of the fastest trains and outshone their replacements until the introduction of Bulleid's light pacifics.
It looks very much At Home there Tim.
Cheers, Dave.

O

Oliver Bulleid

20130314Z_205_1.jpg
Thump, rattle, smell
The first batch of units, numbered 1101–1118, was built in 1957 as two-car units and classified as 2H. They were built for services in Hampshire on the non-electrified routes between Portsmouth Harbour, Salisbury and Andover and between Alton, Winchester and Southampton Terminus. The first units entered service in September 1957.
Not on the South West mainline, however 1108 is being used for 'crew training' under Rule One.
Tim

O

Oliver Bulleid

Rule One is fully justified in this case, it is a superb model.

Oh, I must sort out the signal box - it is leaning.

Tim

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim,

what, if anything needs to be done to the 2H other than taking it out of the box and putting it on the track - and does the same apply to the 419MLV? I ask as I feel a small OO layout based around the Tonbridge area coming on - with a lot of Rule 1 applied:thumbs:

cheers

Mike

O

Oliver Bulleid

Hi,

Once the euphoria has worn, it just needs a bit of weathering, a few happy Preiser people and a decoder.

Tim

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim,

thanks for the reply, looks like the woodworking tools might be coming out for a micro layout then

cheers

Mike

O

Oliver Bulleid

20130314Z_205_2.jpg
Taking the body off to access the decoder is no sinecure, the two screws under the driving cab must be removed.
Tim

Jon Gwinnett

Western Thunderer
Tim, have spent several happy hours reading all your blog posts. Lovely layout, and entertaining blog. Favourite so far, the Templecombe jinty at Milborne Port, firmly in the whodathunkit category. Proof that BR weren't averse to applying Rule One themselves!

O

Oliver Bulleid

20130316_P+P.jpg
However, I much prefer its predecessor, the Southern Push+Pull, on this occasion a two-car set constructed by BR(S) from two Maunsell coaches and propelled by an M7.
Tim

Jon Gwinnett

Western Thunderer
You just read my mind. Picked up set 600 on Friday, sat admiring it this morning. (610 would be better, as I know it ran in Dorset, but I can renumber once i get to that stage)

Also wondering if I'll cancel one of the IOW O2s I ave on order and get a sound fitted Hampshire unit. But I should really settle down and build a layout first.

Had wondered about converting the M7 to EM but it looks like a lot of work.

O

Oliver Bulleid

Whilst waiting for the snow to melt, I thought that some updating would be productive - first some more images were added to my father's collection of the S&DJR - here - and then some attention to the coaching stock on Beaminster Road.

IMG_0167.jpg

I realise that most regard weathering as applying a layer of dirt to a model however in some cases this not the only surface treatment that is needed. This is a Bachmann Mk1 that has been polished with T-Cut in the area of the passenger compartments whilst the remainder of the coach side is untreated. This treatment provides a darker, lustrous effect rather than the flat, paler factory finish however this is only the first step, the underframe needs a layer of dirt as do the wheels and catch ends.
It is subtle rather than pronounced but it is this type of treatment that differentiates a model that represents the prototype.
Tim

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim,

I like that Tcut treatment. I have recently started to use it - as an 'all over' treatment to the sides, prior to applying HMRS lining and numbers and as you say, it does bring out a certain lustre. I look forward to seeing further posts on the weathering.

cheers

Mike

R

RichardS

The small example is a Sprite (of some description) whilst the bigger example is a Bluebird...

Of that vintage (circa 1970 ish) the 12 ft Spite was the Alpine, the 14 ft was the Muskateer, and the 16 ft the Major. This is a 10 ft model and for the life of me I cannot recall what model name it had. perhaps it didn't. Now where is my anorak?

RichardS.