Caledonian 264 class

With Maskelyne's dimensioned drawing in the 1938 MRN, you could draw up the end profile of the tank in 3D CAD and extrude it to the length required, then 3D print to get the correct basic tank body. You might add the tank details in the 3D drawing, or you could add them to the 3D printed body after printing.

Jim.
Oh thank you Jim, looks like another rabbit hole to disappear down just opened. I have been storing my sons "stuff" in the attic whilst he has a house extension . It includes his 3d printer! Might be payback time!
Even my terrible CAD skills could stretch to that I think.
Thanks to all again for the info
Ian

gazman424

Hi All,
Would this be of any use? I can break the body down further if you only require the saddle.
Gaz.

Attachments

• Caley Pug - Draft.stl
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
Hi All,
Would this be of any use? I can break the body down further if you only require the saddle.
Gaz.
Wow ,thank you so much, that is amazing.
After the conversation yesterday, I fired up fusion 360 last night and lost myself for 2 hours. I am self taught and use it rarely ,( wagon springs ,window frames, brake gear etc). So not having used it for 18 months it was a frustrating relearning curve! Loaded Maskelyne drawing as a canvas, generated curve of saddle tank front face then spent a frustrating hour only able to extrude as a hollow tank ,even thought all lines complete and that face turned blue. Ho hum planned to spend next weeks holiday re watching all my tutorials to identify my tyro error!
Then this post turns up . Thank you so much. Will still try and sort out my mistake as will , if I live long enough need the saddle tank for a 263 class. Besides this thread has shown me my dinosaur thinking.
I actually proposed butchering the hornby saddle building the rest in plasticard/ brass, maybe turning up a new chimney etc.
Satisfying but "a long way round"
I think some of that time spent brushing up/ learning to be more proficient at simple CAD would be time better spent.
Oh and replacing one of my lathes with a Mars or Saturn might get past the household exchequer!
Thank you again Gaz for your kindness,
Ian