Canadian Pacific......

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Here's something way outside my comfort and knowledge zone. However, many years ago Steph and I visited the Canadian Railway Museum at Delson, a suburb of Montreal. Although we were too early in the season for the museum to be open I gave them a call and they were kind enough to give us access on an agreed date and time. It was an interesting experience, especially for one who has little knowledge of North American railways and we also saw, in somewhat cramped surroundings and in poor lighting, the A4 and Terrier. In fact it was like visiting a large collection at home in the way it would have been presented 20 years or so previously. Money, or the lack of it, appeared to be a major issue and quite a few of the exhibits were stored outside and, if not derelict, in less than sparkling condition.

A year or two later an HO model of the CP "Jubilee" 4-4-4 came on the market on a certain well known auction site. It appeared to be in overall good condition but had been painted overall matt black probably using some sort of tar substitute rather than paint. It was bought on the basis that, at some time, I'd find time to strip and repaint it. To date that's not happened, despite Steph buying me the appropriate decals yonks ago.

I've now grasped the nettle, but only in a manner of speaking, as it will now be painted professionally. I have one colour photo of the loco which I took at Delson but I really need some more photos to help the painting process. In particular I can't decide on the colour of the boiler - aluminium paint, perhaps? It'd help to have a full description of the loco livery, though. There's a good colour photo of the loco in preservation (which is the way I want to have it painted) here. Old Time Trains

Can anyone with greater knowledge of such things than I point me in the direction of more photos or even a painting spec? There are more photos on the web, many protected by copyright of course but, as model makers, you'll appreciate that I want to get this as close as possible to the real thing.

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you Tim. What a remarkable and informative document!

Even without going any further the colours quoted here are enormously helpful - after all, as we know, colours change over time and depending on the viewing conditions so it'll be difficult for anyone to determine precisely how accurate the colours are. Further pictures will still help in identifying the proper layout of each component colour so further pictures will be more than helpful.

Excellent stuff, Tim, and already way beyond my expectations.

Brian

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Have you looked at the Canadian Pacific Historical Society website? cptracks.ca
They have quite a few painting charts etc. You need to sign in to search the records.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you for the suggestion, Fraser. That looks as though it'll be a very helpful site and will fill in a load of gaps in my knowledge.

The photo is most certainly helpful, Phil, as information about the house style in practice. I much appreciate you digging that out for me.

Brian

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Brian

Here are some photos I took of the plinthed CP No. 29 4-4-0 in Calgary. I have no idea how helpful this loco might be, but the images have been sitting on my computer unused since 2006!

DSC_1473.jpgDSC_1474.jpgDSC_1475.jpgDSC_1476.jpgDSC_1477.jpgDSC_1478.jpgDSC_1479.jpgDSC_1480.jpgDSC_1481.jpgDSC_1492.jpg

I was working for a British oil company who had its technical team based in Calgary, so spent many weeks there on an off. On one visit I met Stephen Harper (prime minister of the day) at the model shop on the north side of the Bow River. He was known to be a great model railway fan.

One more, taken a week later:

DSC_1505.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Perfectly OK Paul. Those are interesting pics in the scheme of things anyway.

It may give a clue to my loco's current livery - everything black but with red window frames. I'd take a photo but it's now with Paul Moore waiting for me to supply best available livery details. With the help of WT we are certainly getting there!

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you Ian and Northroader.

I'm particularly grateful for the cab side detail, Ian. I just hope that a decal for this is in the set which went to Paul with the loco. Otherwise it's useful confirmation of the livery layout and tender wording, as is the back and white shot of the Jubilee.

Brian