Captain Kernow's layouts

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Tim, I do like the trackwork, especially the low shots. Also lovely to see blue pre-tops diesels.....saw many Hymeks thundering through Maidenhead during school lunchtimes!
Thanks for sharing
Julian

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
8B51 was a local tripper from Gloucester 'T' Sidings (later New Yard) to Westerleigh Yard, so the headcode displayed by Bath Road's D6347 is probably not technically correct, but I doubt it raised an eyebrow at the time.

Some Herring hoppers, which had originated at Whitecliff Quarry, near Coleford are being shunted at Callow Lane, prior to weekend engineering works near Winterbourne:
20221202_162528.jpg.a76676cb3a4af33ec267b8c005c610b8.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Lovely work Tim, glad to see a reference to the Forest.;)
Thanks Alan. The loco and stock do run in the Forest from time to time, however, on John Farmer's 'Parkend Marsh Sidings' layout and I also hope, one day, to finish my cameo layout of 'Traveller's Rest'.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Excellent CK. You really do need some telegraph wires to complete it (you would expect me to observe that wouldn't you ;)).
What I will say in response, Chris, is that the line beyond Bleakhouse Road (to Athelney Junction, ie. behind the photographer) had already closed at that point, so arguably the wires from the nearer telegraph poles, at least, could have been removed!

cbrailways

Western Thunderer
Hi CK. Jesting apart, when I owned the 0 Gauge Vine Street model it was fitted with telegraph wires and all the poles and attached wires were removeable and strung out across the whole length of the layout. The wires were made from EZWire which is a kind of elastic wire.

P1000086.JPG

Last edited:

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
CK thats dead easy. This is how it was done on the big railway (example showing at a swing bridge):
Well, it's not that hard I suppose, the way I do it in 4mm scale, which is to discreetly solder all individual rods into one unit and arrange them so that they sit in the stools either side of the board joint and can be lifted out with a pair of tweezers when the layout is to be dismantled.

Happy Christmas everyone!