Captain Kernow's layouts

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I suppose we associate old photos with monochrome and by extension ~ nostalgia. But who would have bothered with black & white film had colour film come out first? :D

6431 is a lovely model and shows how a decent chassis massively improves a clunky Bachmann. 4mm is in need of locos to match the latest in 7mm scale.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Over on RMWeb, there's been an interesting discussion (in the 'Miscellaneous' section) about which old pre-Airfix & Mainline era models were any good.

That got me thinking about the Triang Hornby pannier, introduced in 1973.

The body was compromised, being based on their Jinty chassis and the cab side sheets were moulded way too thick, but to all intents and purposes, it certainly looked like what it was supposed to be and would form the basis for a half-decent scale model, provided you were prepared to put the work in.

Following the example of someone else who had titivated their own Triang Hornby pannier to a high standard, I eventually did the same to mine, carving plastic from the body, fitting separate handrails, Romford wheels, brake gear and individually-applied separate grills to the rear cab windows, fashioned from 5 amp fuse wire.

Unfortunately at the time, I didn't realise that the body still sat too high, or that the buffers were wrong, but it became my first 'scale' loco for my first 'serious' 4mm project, being joined a few months later by 4406 - a K's model.

So I thought I would get my old Triang Hornby pannier out and take a few photos.

This is what you got from Triang Hornby, back in 1973:
Hornbypannier.jpg.584f9018fa7f2b7eca24f5c496fe5e41.jpg

After a couple of months of work (while on work experience in Germany!) and a repaint, this was the result, it is unchanged from when I finished work on it in 1976. Here it is, posed on 'Bethesda Sidings':
230913_191826.jpg.964e6cf1e037ba3cc862a2b8981a8fc8.jpg

230913_191920.jpg.298fb450606d51e915cd89727b814ff5.jpg

230913_192053.jpg.a7c782bde81b9be27c0409fa15729023.jpg

230913_192127.jpg.2a9fe847fe0f9834777e0b63ef865479.jpg

I sometimes get interested in upgrading it further, but I probably won't, as I don't really have any GWR stock to run it with, it will need major work to the chassis to lower the ride height (probably a new chassis) and more work on the body to thin the cab side sheets to an acceptable thickness. To be honest, if I really wanted another 8750, it would now make more sense to start with a Bachmann one...

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
A friend had one of those and it was fitted with a smoke unit.…
IMG_3903.jpeg
During the school holidays, we‘d spend hours in his living room, watching it tearing around an oval of track on the floor, like a scalded cat.

There was a pretty stiff hearth rug, that we’d form into a tunnel over one of the straight sections, with literally, half an inch clearance above the top of the chimney. I’ve always enjoyed the spectacle of real steam locos, being enveloped by their exhaust, as they passed under bridges, or into tunnels and I would lay on the floor and watch the smoke consume the model pannier, as it thundered into and through the “tunnel”. To my young eyes, it was almost as exciting as the real thing and is something that still brings a smile to my face, some 50 years later.

Regards

Dan