Clamps

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
This seems about the nearest heading. I plan to start in the new year a laser cut plywood SAR brake van which will be glued together. Obviously some clamps will be necessary and when I looked on Amazon there were 400 pages of choices, many suspiciously the same. Could anyone kindly suggest a half decent choice, price is not necessarily the main factor but not cheap and cheerful either.
Regards
Martin

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
The name "Coffmann" sprang to my mind, and Branchlines certainly used to stock them, might be worth an email. Micro-Mark do something very similar (their photo below), but who stocks them in the UK? They look efficient but low-tech - you might be able to build some yourself? York Modelmaking do a different, magnetic sort of clamp.

IMG_1579.jpeg

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Also known as 'right angle clamps'. I think Paul is right that Branchlines stock them in the UK. I have two (medium and longer) and find them useful here and there.

Also around are magnetic clamps: Magnetic Clamps

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Thank you both. There is nothing in the photo that I couldn't easily build myself and if I can source the knurled knobs at a reasonable price then I probably will. I could make them of course but they do all need to look the same otherwise my engineering sensitivities get offended. I would substitute solid bar for the "brass" rectangular tube but otherwise some doodling tomorrow and costings.
Thanks
Martin

daifly

Western Thunderer
if I can source the knurled knobs at a reasonable price then I probably will. I could make them of course but they do all need to look the same otherwise my engineering sensitivities get offended.
I thought I'd have a quick look at eBay just out of interest and discovered that they're referred to as 'thumb nuts'. Every day is a school day. Plenty of choices on there.
Dave

DavidB

Western Thunderer
One thing to note - the aluminium piece has cutouts, hidden in the picture above, which allows access to the inside of the joint with a soldering iron or glue. See: Splice Clamp

Another is that the pads are supposed to be heat-proof, or at least resistant. Nothing worse than them melting on to your work!

The image is taken from Micro Mart's site.
Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 22.12.27.png

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Well six weeks on I have made something similar. I think the M4 bits could usefully be M5 although I'm probably overthinking it. I am going to line the "jaws" with some trackbed cork which should protect any items to be held, fortunately I don't need any heat resistance. It is 8" long, the centre cutout is just over 4" and the bits started out as 1.25" x 1/8" angle with 3/4" x 1/4" jaws. Thanks for the original pointers.
Martin
IMG_2064.JPG

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Martin very nice rendition of the clamp, I might follow your lead. As they say you can never have enough clamps.

Michael