Scattergun Cumbres and Toltec Double Header

adrian

Flying Squad
As part of the Cumbres and Toltec appreciation society I'll post this video link for some stunning shots of the scenery and a good feel for the journey.

It is a fun day out and it is a full day. When we went the timetable didn't allow for a full return trip in one day so we got train in one direction and then a coach to return. The video also shows the open car which you could wander through at any point and enjoy the fresh air and scenery.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
When we visited the Durango and Silverton about 20 years ago we were driving through Southwest Colorado and stayed overnight at Silverton. The best option for us was to take a coach down to Durango and then a single ticket back up the Animas Gorge. Then drive on to Telluride in time for dinner. Time was not on our side, it never was with only 2 weeks vacation from my then employer.

I rue the day we decided not to take the Cumbres and Toltec. We even drove through Antonito on the way west!

My wife watched the videos yesterday on the C & T and I asked which train trip she had enjoyed the most. I was somewhat surprised when she chose Amtrak from Salt Lake to Denver.