Discussion of Fastener Sizes and Scale Equivalents

pakpaul

Western Thunderer
Although with metrication some sheet metal thicknesses and wire diameters are now being quoted in metric units, use is still made of the imperial Standard Wire Gauge to quote wire and sheet metal sizes. I felt it would be useful to have available a table of the inch and metric equivalents of these gauges as well as their full size equivalents in the three scales we are providing data for.

The table below shows the whole range of swg sizes for completeness, but for our purposes we are unlikely to come across the smaller sizes above say 40 gauge, and the larger ones below 10 gauge. The full size equivalents may also be quoted to too many decimal points of accuracy as well.

posted1.JPG

This completes the tables of scale equivalents I made some time ago in the period I was recovering from a major operation, and any further comments on improving or expanding them would be appreciated (e.g. should additional modelling scales be included, would a list of standard plastikard sizes and their full size scale equivalent be of use?)

Subject to any further comments, in about a weeks time I will change the title of this thread to be a discussion of fasteners and scale equivalents and post the reformatted tables and the associated excel files in a new thread which will be locked and pinned in resources for future reference.

Paul

pakpaul

Western Thunderer
I have changed the thread title to that of a discussion, and using the original thread title will post revised and reformatted tables previously shown in this thread, which I hope incorporate all points agreed in terms of formatting. Where relevant the original excel files will also be uploaded to the forum, in order that members can download them and print them etc.

Paul