Prototype Early LNWR Coke Wagon Drawing

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Osgood, 11 January 2021.

1. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

Last edited: 11 January 2021
  2. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

3. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

4. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

5. Tim Birch

Tim Birch New Member

A number of these were in an article in the LNWR Society Journal a few years ago. For anyone who models in 7mm, there are models available from Parliamentary Trains.

6. Mike W

Mike W Western Thunderer

The original publication was Railway Machinery by D.K.Clark, who had been Wagon Superintendent for the Southern Division of the LNWR. It was published in two large volumes: one text and the other plates. For many years they were poo poo'd as fantasy, but in the last couple of decades they have been re-appraised and considered highly authentic. Three or four model manufacturers seem to have discovered them in recent years, but in 7mm the Parliamentary Trains kits are excellent.

P.S. Hi Tim - good to see you here!

Mike

7. GrahamMc

GrahamMc Active Member

Scanned by the Google Books project and available as a free download, lots of interesting early stuff. The first volume isn't just text, it contains lots of drawings of components, from locomotive parts to trackwork. There's a list of drawings at the front.
    Volume 1.
    Railway Machinery
    Volume 2.
    Railway Machinery

AJC, adrian, Osgood and 2 others like this.
  8. Mike W

Mike W Western Thunderer

Thanks GrahamMc. I havn't seen one for many years and when prices reached several hundred pounds thirty years ago I decided I would never have a set. I guess free scans like this will have devalued the originals - just as well I didn't buy one then!

Mike

9. Tim Birch

Tim Birch New Member

Following on from the comments about the Parliamentary Trains kits for mid Victorian rolling stock, here is a photo of my build of two of the Henson cattle wagons. They are lovely kits to build, and fish glue is the recommended adhesive!

Attached Files:

john lewsey and Mike W like this.
  10. Jon Nazareth

Jon Nazareth Western Thunderer

The drawings on ebay are a bit expensive. I've just paid £21 for an early drawing from the NRM which includes a postal tube and I thought that reasonable.

Jon

11. john lewsey

john lewsey Western Thunderer

They are very nice