Grahame's N/2mm bashes

grahame

I've started to add the windows to the tower block.

I've spent a lot of time finishing off my latest magazine, that has delayed much modelling progress, and which is now printed and available (from eBay). It's N Gauge so is probably of not much interest to many on this forum but it does have a report/update on the layout. And is currently selling reasonably well:

BNGRM - issue 4 coverredex.jpg

grahame

My next building project will be the corner block at Bermondsey Street and Crucifix Lane (which is basically the continuation of St Thomas Street along the front of the viaduct). I've done some on-line research and plotted out the floor plan for the block and building. I'm planning to include a representation of the Sarsons malt vinegar brewery on the plot next to the office (?) building (I know it's not in the right place but at this end of the layout there is a lot less adherence to the actual area).

This is where it will be placed on the layout (when I ever get it completed):

DSC05693crperred.jpg

And this is the progress to date. There's still lots to do; both the flat top roofs need structures made and added, the outer brickwork walls need windows/doors cut and fitted, detailed and painted, and so on.

DSC05709crperred.jpg

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Peek Frean, known as Biscuit Town in Bermondsey, closed down in the late 1980s. But it was where Bourbons, Twiglets and others were invented. A friend of mine's father used to work there and I knew the gas engineer who converted the ovens to natural gas - he told me a few stories about it.

grahame

A bit of progress today. I've made a start on knocking up the ventilated roof section - a water tank will go on top. Plus I've been able to get the walls primed and a base colour on them meaning things are taking shape although the walls obviously need the windows and door fitted first and the office block needs a lot of work. As most bits (roof, walls, stairs, boiler room, etc) aren't glued in place it looks a little rough and ready but here it is at the front of the layout in the position it will occupy.

DSC05730crperred.jpg

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I think, Grahame, you underestimate the following that N gauge has especially with the quality that you aspire to....I do like the model on the cover of the latest BNGRM magazine, very nice.
Bourbon Biscuits.....and a nice cuppa...just right for sitting down and looking through WT.
All the best
Julian

grahame

Some more bits and details such as; ridge tiles on the tower, the office block roof access, the yard right hand brick wall, coping on the yard left wall, flue pipe on lean-to, ridge tiles and vent on brewery, chimney stack tops and pots, finished and added the tower right side wall with hoist doors (although hoist still to be added) made and added.

However, I've still yet to complete the office and brewery curved front wall, the office angled entrance wall, office coping stones and yard gates. But otherwise nearly complete (if anything you model can ever be considered finished).

DSC05796cpeed.jpg

grahame

The windows and doors now fitted to the brewery front wall and it's glued in place. It faces away from the viewing position so I've kept it as simple as possible which makes it quick and easy modelling.

That's basically the block complete (although there is some details and tidying up required) which means I'll be giving this project a rest now and start on something new - and there's plenty to do to progress the layout.

DSC05839ced.jpg

DSC05840cpeed.jpg

grahame

The next building project is to the right of the brewery block and will effectively be a view blocker for trains entering/leaving the scene. As they will be on a viaduct the building will need to be fairly tall - taller than the viaduct track bed that runs on to the return loops/fiddle yard.

I'm planning on using this building - but obviously compressed and compromised to fit the location. It's formerly part of the Peek Frean 'biscuit town' factory in Bermondsey so a relatively local structure. I appreciate it'll be on the wrong side of the tracks and a mile or so displaced, but being local it'll not be too out of place. And it's nice and large and interesting architecturally.

Screenshot (101).jpg

Screenshot (102).png

grahame

Today I've got the rest of the paint on and windows fitted to the main wall panel. And it's now glued in place. Next to tackle is the top floor fascia (with balcony frontage) and the chunky curved cast concrete bay dividers that curve over the balcony. Then it'll be the pitched roof that goes on top.

DSC05929crperred.jpg