Grahame's N/2mm bashes

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The buildings are great. The track worries me every time bits are shown. Have you thought about using the 2mm Scale Association track? Or another code 40 track? N scale runs fine on the 9.42 gauge plain track and it looks so much better.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
I did explain my choice earlier in the thread. I'm using Peco finescale code 55. It's not the finest looking but with using code 40 rail for the third conductor rail it alleviates issues with shoe beams catching, and although the sleepers are rather chunky and deep (to accommodate the buried part of the rail) once property ballasted to the sleeper top surface it looks a lot a whole lot better.

grahame

Anyway here's a pic with a bit of track, although it's not ballasted or painted/weathered (which also tends to visually reduce the rail height) and the viaduct walling/sides are yet to be added (which should also help hide views of the rail height/track.

I must upgrade that EPB with better sides and paintjob - it was made many years ago and is showing its age. However, this pic hopefully shows that I'm starting to get close to what I wanted to achieve with the layout; commuter trains at high level winding through a landscape of urban commercial and industrial buildings and past residential roof tops based on a real location.

DSC07231crperred.jpg

Kier Hardy

Fantastic stuff Grahame. I've always enjoyed your updates and get a good feeling for the area you're modelling. As for the EPB, it looks fine to me, but sometimes we're our own worst critics.

Grahame Hedges

Western Thunderer
Fantastic stuff Grahame. I've always enjoyed your updates and get a good feeling for the area you're modelling. As for the EPB, it looks fine to me, but sometimes we're our own worst critics.

Thanks.

I think one of the issues is that being N gauge the stock is small and you can, or at least are tempted to, get away with a more broad-brush and less finescale approach, but when I see some of the fantastic modelling, particularly on the 'EM gauge in the 70s' thread, and other layouts in 4mm scale (and 2mm finescale like CF) it provides inspiration that I want to match in detail and finish.

Last edited: