Hairy Bikers and Other Petrol Heads

davey4270

Western Thunderer
Re post 1048 the Ferguson TE20 looks interesting too. Can you tell us a little about it Davey?

Regarding the Lambretta, I had my first go at controlling a powered two wheeler on one of those. I was a ten year old and it was off road. IIRC it had shaft drive.

Cheers
Dave
That’ll be an LD like this one.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Regarding the Lambretta, I had my first go at controlling a powered two wheeler on one of those. I was a ten year old and it was off road. IIRC it had shaft drive.

Cheers
Dave
I had one of those, grey with red sidepanels. I still have the driveshaft which broke just next to the splines on one end. With the sheared end ground flat it made a super drift. Still used occasionally.
Ian.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
DSC_6334.jpeg
I have sold my MX-5 ND. I took this photo as a reminder, I always tried to keep the engine bay as clean as the rest. ACF50 spray on the paint and bright metal helped.

This car followed an NB and I had 17 years of fun between the two of them. Good cars. The new car has enough space to carry a layout but the engine is mostly hidden under a plastic cover. Hopefully I will remain a petrolhead at heart.

Last edited:

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Watching that video (1067) reminded me of my Driving lessons with Tony(?) Palmer back in 1967/58.
He had 2 main principles,
1st If you want to lean to drive that is OK, if you want to scrape through the test go somewhere else.
2nd There is no such thing as a dangerous road or car only a dangerous driver.
Drive to suit the conditions then the road is safe i.e. adjust speed to suit conditions which includes stopping. A car is only dangerous even no brakes and/or faults to other parts if someone starts to drive it.

regards
Allen

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY? Whatever would EH Bentall have made of it all..... :rolleyes:

Sorry Tony I missed this one so I have waited two days so hopefully I'm not interrupting others.

I think EH Bentall would be amazed to see how ICE development progressed in next century. 15:1 compression ratio, 90 hp and 50 mpg from an engine of much the same displacement as their own. They would also admire the use of high tensile steels and aluminium to create incredibly strong yet lightweight structures, and know the motor car had a long way to go and they were right to try to pioneer their own.

But I think some of the marketing language, along with the "lane hold assist" and a few other features, would go completely over their heads. Much as they go over mine.