Prototype Harz Mountains 6 day Photo Charter

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi All

I know this isn't UK resident, but I thought some of you might like to see where I was last week.

Brocken-16.JPG

This was up the Broken Mountain which is 1125m above sea level in what was formally East Germany.
I took over 1000 photos in the 7 days we were there, don't worry I shall not be listing any more on WT, I shall add some to my Flickr page at some time in the future.

This is a 2-10-2 loco but we also did 0-6-0's and a Mallet in the cource of the week.
Dave

Last edited:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi,

Dave beat the Heyside outing by a week!

We were blessed with dry and mostly clear weather, but my it was cold on the coach balconies and on top of the Brocken. I can't match Dave's photos, so I shalln't try, but I do have some interesting video when I manage to edit it.

P1010050b.jpg

I'm now looking forward to getting back to my workbench

Cheers

Richard

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard

Very nice photo of your journey up, I have a very similar one, we went up the Broken on Saturday the 7th on the first service train, and six of us rode on the balconies. Lots of sunshine when we arrived but as you say very cold. Then a huge cloud from the valley arrived and everything disappeared from view so we took the next train back down to Drei Annen Hohne. I have now put 20+ photos on my flickr web page of day one.

Here's two photos of before the ice cloud and afterwards.

Brocken-20.JPG
Brocken-21.JPG
Dave

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard

It looks like 7243 is running round it's train at the top, nice photos of the railbus I took a photo of another one '012' in the yard at Wernigerode I think, did you see any of these railcars that look a lot like the GWR flying bananas.

DayTwo-21.JPG

Dave

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Dave,

We did. We took one from Alexisbad up the hill to Harzgerode and back, then from Alexisbad to Stiege, reversing at Stiege before going on to Eisfelder Talmuhle to catch a 2-10-2.

Both these pics are at Stiege, which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

P1010018a.jpg

P1010026a.jpg

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Richard. Did you notice it's the same railcar as the one in my photo.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I did, although that wasn't the one we were on.

We hit the Stiege rush hour when the railbuses crossed, and were on No.17. I don't know whether you went on one, but the driver we had left the driver's compartment door open, so we could see through the front window and watch her drive.

P1010025b.jpg

Richard

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,

I did, although that wasn't the one we were on.

We hit the Stiege rush hour when the railbuses crossed, and were on No.17. I don't know whether you went on one, but the driver we had left the driver's compartment door open, so we could see through the front window and watch her drive.

View attachment 41330

Richard
Hi Richard

I was one of 40 on a 6 day organised photo charter were on something similar? We were coached to Alexisbad three day running to work with different locos and stock to Stiege and Hasselfelde. because we arrived at Alexisbad about an hour the service train arrived we all set up camp in the hotel across from the station for coffee. At the end of the each day the coach picked us up from Stiege and returned us to our hotel in Nordhausen.
DayFour_2.JPG
Are you aware of the book 'Harz Revisited' by Middleton Press. I bought it when I got back, it is very good for background information and helps to remind you where you have been. I think some of my photos are better than ones in the book, but I would!

Dave

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Dave,

That's a lovely photo of the Mallet. You had more recent snow which adds to the atmosphere. I only saw one Mallet in the shed at Wernigerode, but did catch the 2-6-2 in steam, just out of works, at Drei Annen Hohne.

We were in a group of 17, organised largely by Scanlon of this parish, 12 Heysiders/spouses, and 5 SVR members. We stayed in Wernigerode within an easy walk of the station.

I'm not familiar with the book you mention, but I aim to acquire something as an aide-memoire, now I know a bit more about the railway.

Richard

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave,

That's a lovely photo of the Mallet. You had more recent snow which adds to the atmosphere. I only saw one Mallet in the shed at Wernigerode, but did catch the 2-6-2 in steam, just out of works, at Drei Annen Hohne.

We were in a group of 17, organised largely by Scanlon of this parish, 12 Heysiders/spouses, and 5 SVR members. We stayed in Wernigerode within an easy walk of the station.

I'm not familiar with the book you mention, but I aim to acquire something as an aide-memoire, now I know a bit more about the railway.

Richard
Hi Richard
see this link.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harz-Revisi...qid=1424604507&sr=8-1&keywords=Harz+Revisited, front cover shows two 2-10-2's leaving Drei Annen Hohne.

Dave

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Did either of you guys see anything of the Rubelandbahn while you were there? Not only a fascinating line for its history and strange 25kv electrification system, but also home to a couple of BR95 2-10-2t locos...

Steph

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Did either of you guys see anything of the Rubelandbahn while you were there? Not only a fascinating line for its history and strange 25kv electrification system, but also home to a couple of BR95 2-10-2t locos...

Steph

Hi Steph,

No, in fact I hadn't heard of it until your post!

Richard

Dave Bowden

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

Same goes for me, this was my first venture into Europe on a steam charter, I would probably not do it again, unlike here in the UK where as you have the railway to your self all day, on the Harz we had to fit in with service trains.

Tomorrow for example I'm on a photo charter on the NVR with the D49 Morayshire, which is in black at the moment.

Dave