Help with Tetbury please

West Junction

Western Thunderer
Perhaps if you cannot get your curve in you could do two layouts, one for the station/engine shed, the other for the goods shed?cattle dock and shunting. The two linked by a fiddle yard where the curve would have been.

adrian

Flying Squad
The book is out of print and I have no copies.
I'd suggest setting an alert on ebay for it. At the moment there is one copy up at £35 but one sold a few months ago for £10. I had the same situation for getting a copy of LNWR Portrayed, there were a few optimistic listings at £30 plus, but with an alert set I got an email notifying me of one listed at £7.50 buy it now!

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
I have a very old track planning disk. If I can borrow a 'Windows' pc I will experiment with the track plan.
I guess ultimately it doesn't have to be Tetbury, I just liked the buildings.
So as long as the 'feel' and atmosphere are right, I'm sure my 14xx with its auto trailer will fit in just fine! :thumbs:

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Why? If it's Templot you're using then it works fine on a Mac with Oracle VM VirtualBox. There are various Win7 virtual machines available (for IE11 testing) you can use. I have done all my Holywell Town Templot prints using this method.
I have a medieval Winrail disc which I used to design my current layout.
It was spot on for Peco pointwork. I may venture in to building my own pointwork, but it would probably be from specific kits rather than 'custom' built for the site.

martin_wynne

Western Thunderer
Please can anyone help me with a track diagram of Tetbury station, goods shed and engine shed?

Hi Richard,

On the NLS web site, here:

View: Gloucestershire LVIII.13 (includes: Long Newnton; Tetbury Upton; Tetbury) - Ordnance Survey 25 inch England and Wales, 1841-1952

Hold down ALT+SHIFT and drag with mouse to rotate it to a more convenient fit on screen. Then you can capture a screenshot and use it as a background guide in Templot. Or zoom in and make several screenshots.

regards,

Martin.

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
I am now the proud owner of the previously mentioned book and the 40' to the1" map.
I have seen a coal loading hopper in the coal yard, but no means of loading the coal from the wagons in to it.
Would any one know if this would have been achieved by a simple conveyor belt machine or a crane with a bucket?
As always, any info gratefully appreciated!

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have seen a coal loading hopper in the coal yard, but no means of loading the coal from the wagons in to it. Would any one know if this would have been achieved by a simple conveyor belt machine or a crane with a bucket?
If you mean something like this... then either a conveyor fed from the pile that you get after opening the side doors of a 16T mineral... or from a grab bucket suspended from a crane / hoist.

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Yes, that is almost exactly what I meant. The one at Tetbury looked to be made of wood though.
I will probably purchase the hopper from Mr Parkins at some stage and score planks :)
It would be handy to see exactly what was used to load it. Perhaps even a tractor with a bucket?