In The Beginning

Neil

Western Thunderer
Early on any Saturday morning, outside a school sports hall or leisure centre somewhere in this country a ritual is enacted. It may not be exactly the same as the one a weekend ago in a different town, but the basic elements will all be there. From a flock of estate cars, hatchbacks, hired vans and people carriers, geometric but not necessarily even or identical pieces of wood are carried into the hall by men (for it is predominantly men) who in the main have the summers of their youth well in the past. It’s a scene reminiscent of leaf cutter ants carrying large flat shaped pieces of leaves to the nest, returning empty before picking up another bit and heading inside again.

There have been times when I’ve witnessed the parade of baseboard sections into the exhibition hall, unburdened by any need to take part. I find it fascinating to try and mentally assemble the bits in my mind before they take shape on the floor. Best of all are those sections where the buildings are separate and all one sees is the board, ballasted track and the rudiments of the landform. Each and every piece is laden with so much potential to be amazing, that in comparison the assembled whole can be a bit of a let down.

A mid day trip to town, and the stationers shelves are full of gaudily titled model railway magazines, but has the one we wait for arrived yet? As our awaited magazine has a cover full of classic British restraint it takes a little longer to pick it out from the multicoloured cacophony of the other titles. Unlike the clockwork regularity of the others, the arrival may coincide with the published date, but then again it may not. If we’re of the over organised mindset that has led to the stereotyping of our hobby this is seen as a bad thing, but if we can get past this mental hurdle and enjoy the heightened anticipation it all adds to the experience. The sometime mismatch of promise and appearance is, we believe, something to do with its handcrafted composition and can only add to the notion that it’s carefully tailored to our tastes.

MRJ amongst all the magazines is the one that features layouts part way through construction almost as often as those that are complete. In fact it may even feature more. I might have slightly strange tastes in model railways but I often find the part started far more satisfying to see and read about than the fully finished. Well put together track, perhaps ballasted (perhaps not), a few key structures and some sharply observed stock and the mind is free to fill in the blanks in the manner in which one hopes it will be executed with that shade of weathered paint on the warehouse doors and windows that takes you back to one of the golden memories of youth, or the way in which a siding peters out suggesting a quieter less intensively used railway where every asset wasn’t sweated.

Late that evening as darkness covers a city as architecturally magnificent as the sports hall is dull, a man in a shed thinks about getting to grips with turning wheels on the lathe he’s had for some time, but turns to his mug of tea instead while he dreams about the day when the parallel ribbons of rail will encircle his garden.

Just why is it that I find these half started projects so much more inspiring than the finished thing? I’m sure that it’s to do with the possibilities that they hold. It’s said that the best thing about youth is that the entire world is open to you. Having just reached adulthood you have the ability to choose which path you want to take (they all stretch out ahead of you) and these choices are unconstrained by responsibilities. Layouts too reach this stage of early adulthood, where all the basic structure is in place but where many of the choices are yet to be finalised. I tend to work this way, those that have followed Morfa’s progress both here and ‘the other place’ will know that there have been several upheavals, as I work slowly towards filling in the blank spaces. I know that others have (or would have us believe) that the first piece of wood isn’t cut until every last aspect of the design is fully resolved, but like religion, wasps, green vegetables or football I can’t see the point in that. Last week in Hay I spotted one of those cheesy tin signs with a self help slogan on it. The sign read ‘happiness is a journey not a destination’; I quite like that.

28ten

Guv'nor
Thoughtful stuff Neil. I personally dont see the problem with half finished models/layouts or even kits in boxes, as long as the owner has enjoyed themselves in the process of building/bodging/collecting. To an extent we are all chasing rainbows, the layout or model will probably never be exactly what we wanted/envisioned and i think that once that point is reached projects are abandoned.
Something else to consider is the speed of progress, lets say a layout takes five years to build, how many people sustain the same vision, outlook and commitment for that long? Not me :)

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
Delicious musings or pensive prose depending on your personal outlook; but enjoyable to read whatever the view.

To an extent we are all chasing rainbows, the layout or model will probably never be exactly what we wanted/envisioned and i think that once that point is reached projects are abandoned.

This has always been my problem.. once finished I often lose interest in the model so I start projects and often fail to pursue to completion.

I think that I should join a club to find mutual support but it never happens.

Paralysed into doing what I feel I should rather than what I want is a personal guilt trip that I have yet to overcome.

I savour the planning and acquisition of parts to the point of hedonism but as the reality often fails to come near the dream another incomplete escapade looms.

adrian

Flying Squad
Just why is it that I find these half started projects so much more inspiring than the finished thing? I’m sure that it’s to do with the possibilities that they hold. It’s said that the best thing about youth is that the entire world is open to you. Having just reached adulthood you have the ability to choose which path you want to take (they all stretch out ahead of you) and these choices are unconstrained by responsibilities. Layouts too reach this stage of early adulthood, where all the basic structure is in place but where many of the choices are yet to be finalised. I tend to work this way, those that have followed Morfa’s progress both here and ‘the other place’ will know that there have been several upheavals, as I work slowly towards filling in the blank spaces. I know that others have (or would have us believe) that the first piece of wood isn’t cut until every last aspect of the design is fully resolved, but like religion, wasps, green vegetables or football I can’t see the point in that. Last week in Hay I spotted one of those cheesy tin signs with a self help slogan on it. The sign read ‘happiness is a journey not a destination’; I quite like that.

A rather profound posting for a forum, but stimulating none the less.

I was fortunate in years gone by of visiting Henry Holdsworth who'd built a fantastic homage to the Lynton and Barnstable Railway called Lynbridge, featured at one point in the RM. Whilst my Dad was discussing business with Henry I was left to my own devices in his layout room. I could operate what ever I wanted and for at least 20 minutes, which for a teenager was a lifetime, I just walked around the room absorbing the detail. Don't worry there is a relevance to the the original posting which I'm coming to now. As far as Henry was concerned the layout was complete, the last passenger had been painted and was waiting patiently by their luggage for the next train, the final tree had been planted, the gate to the field had been carelessly left open by an inconsiderate rambler. As magnificent as the layout was I was left wondering, "what next?". Once you have achieved what you have set out to do, where do you go? I've often pondered, well probably not that often truth be told, but for people who have set their dreams on scaling Everest, what do you do when you have conquered that mountain? What do you do next?

I'm not sure that I'd want to reach my destination, to reflect your slogan I enjoy the journey over the destination for there are new experiences to be found. The word that sprang to mind was Hobo, and looking it up on t'internet it says :

A hobo, unlike a bum or a tramp, is more than willing to work, but mostly for a short duration, as their main impetus is travel, the love of the journey above the actual destination. A bum is stationary, feeding off of those unfortunate enough to cross his path; a hobo merely travels from town to town, finding work when he can, but only for the sake of financing his next adventure. NEVER call a hobo a bum...they'll kick your sorry no-bo ass!
"When I first started hobo'in,
I took a freight train to be my friend
-John Lee Hooker

So I think if anyone asks about my modelling, I'll just say I'm a Hobo modeller!

28ten

Guv'nor
Was Lynbridge sort of G scale size or am I mixing it up?
I think it is very rare that anybody actually reaches the stage of completion, unless the layout or project is particularly small, and it is a brave man who calls something complete.

adrian

Flying Squad
Was Lynbridge sort of G scale size or am I mixing it up?
I think it is very rare that anybody actually reaches the stage of completion, unless the layout or project is particularly small, and it is a brave man who calls something complete.
I believe he classed it as SM32, it was certainly 32mm gauge, so what scale that would make it for the L&B I'm not sure. At the time Henry had decided that the layout was complete and he'd turned his attention to building new stock. If I remember correctly my Dad was building him a pair of 0-4-0 outside crank power bogies as he was making a freelance Beyer-Garrett for the layout.

ceejaydee

Western Thunderer
I remember Lynbridge in RM from well way back when, proper SM32.
Lots of converted Britains bits too; animals, trees.... and fantastic work with a treadle fretsaw.

Wish I still had that copy of RM, you are a lucky man to have seen the layout.

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
. I know that others have (or would have us believe) that the first piece of wood isn’t cut until every last aspect of the design is fully resolved, but like religion, wasps, green vegetables or football I can’t see the point in that. Last week in Hay I spotted one of those cheesy tin signs with a self help slogan on it. The sign read ‘happiness is a journey not a destination’; I quite like that.

I can see where you're coming from, not starting a project until you have every I dotted and T crossed sounds like a recipe for never actually starting. But ultimately it's about finding the right balance isnt it, that's going to be different for everybody. I've enjoyed what I've done in the hobby so far, which has in some ways been slightly directionless I suppose, but now I have the opportunity to do something more substantive, I wouldnt want to be here in another ten years still not having 'arrived' anywhere worthwhile.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Late that evening as darkness covers a city as architecturally magnificent as the sports hall is dull, a man in a shed thinks about getting to grips with turning wheels on the lathe he’s had for some time, but turns to his mug of tea instead while he dreams about the day when the parallel ribbons of rail will encircle his garden
Ha ha! Does Simon mind you using him as an example?! :D:p

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
The trick for me is to build a layout that constantly evolves, I don't suppose it will ever be truly finished but each year it gets better (well for me it does). I have never had a master plan though, just a few of the next steps forward in my head & while I achieve these goals the next ideas or inspirations just come.......sometimes by accident & sometime by design, but it is very much a journey & I don't know myself where it will end (if any of that makes sense) :)

Simon

Flying Squad
Ha ha! Does Simon mind you using him as an example?! :D:p

How could you possibly think that refers to me? :))

Actually, I have just spent the best part of three hours fiddling around with plastikard offcuts and bits of tube in order to produce the marker lights for the extremely long winded attempt to produce a 122 in 1/32. I think I am happy with what I have done, tea was involved plus lots of searching for bits on the shed floor, one of which had to be made again as it is still down there, somewhere....

Enjoying reading the MRJs:)

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
The trick for me is to build a layout that constantly evolves, I don't suppose it will ever be truly finished but each year it gets better (well for me it does). I have never had a master plan though, just a few of the next steps forward in my head & while I achieve these goals the next ideas or inspirations just come.......sometimes by accident & sometime by design, but it is very much a journey & I don't know myself where it will end (if any of that makes sense) :)

I fell quite like that about my garden efforts, in some ways I don't like to think too much about the end result or plan it too much as I somehow feel I will "exhaust the magic" in the process - if that makes any sense.

I am sure details will change as ideas come to mind and that the character of different parts of the line once it is in its garden setting will determine what I want to do with it.

Still got to get down to making those blessed points first:headbang:

Simon